Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Are the 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors a Playoff team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chisholm: Are the 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors a Playoff team?

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=405493

Are the 2012-13 Toronto Raptors a playoff team?

Let's be honest, that's the only question worth asking heading into this season. With training camp only two weeks away, you're going to hear all sorts of lip service paid to internal growth, to the defensive culture and to great additions brought in this summer. However, the Raptors are past the point where any of that stuff 'really' matters. They've played that game. They played it for Chris Bosh's last two seasons in Toronto and then they played it again for the two seasons since he's left. They've talked around the playoffs, they've made excuses for not making it there, but at the end of the day the 'real season' has to be seen as more than just a pipe dream.

And so we route back around to the original question: Are these Toronto Raptors a playoff team?

In their favour is one very important stat: Last season, every team in the top-13 in defensive efficiency went to the playoffs except one: Toronto. Historically, defensive efficiency is a great measure for teams to use in order to determine who is going to make it to the playoffs in April. It's not the only measure (clearly), but great defense is usually the mark of a consistent ball club and over the course of the long NBA season, good, consistent play is a great way to ensure your place in the postseason.

The problem for Toronto - at least last season - was that their offense was so bad it completely negated their gains at the defensive end of the floor. It wasn't just scoring offense, either. It was passing. It was movement. It was getting to the free throw line. It was creating easy baskets with steals and blocked shots (despite their strong defense, they didn't create many turnovers). That's why when the club went shopping this summer it wasn't for pure scorers; it was for guys that facilitate offense.

Guys like Kyle Lowry, who can score, sure, but can also pass, get to the free throw line and create turnovers. Guys like Landry Fields, who move without the ball, create offense for others and get out into the open court. Guys like Jonas Valanciunas, who know how to set screens and roll to the basket. They needed players who could score, but more than that they needed players who could help other people score. Plus, they needed to do it with guys that wouldn't hurt their defensive standing because as important as an improved offense is, defense is going to remain their key to the postseason.

Looking up and down the roster this may be the best construction job that Bryan Colangelo and his team have done in fielding a roster in Toronto since Colangelo arrived in 2006. They have balance, they have role definition and they have financial flexibility. They also have the right coach to lead this particular group of players, and a core that is young enough that if they click this season, they can expect even better years thereafter.

However, for all that management has done this summer to construct a playoff-ready roster, they are gun shy about committing to the playoffs as a serious, end-of-season goal. Yes, management has been burned in the past promising the playoffs and not delivering, but no one is saying that they need to promise the playoffs to anyone. They just need to acknowledge that they are the desired endgame to this season. They need to acknowledge that if they fail to make the playoffs, then the season was a failure. They need to make it known that if the club doesn't make it to the playoffs, then on some level everyone failed, and they need to do that to start growing the hunger that that kind of pressure instills.

Over the last couple of years, the organization has taken their foot so far off of the gas pedal that they are having trouble finding it again. There needs to be internal tension applied to everyone associated with the Raptors to start kicking this franchise into gear. No more being satisfied with slow and steady growth - growth now needs to yield something more tangible, something for fans to get really excited about. The standards need to be higher so that there is no way for a player, coach or general manager to hide from the ultimate goal of making the postseason. Everyone needs to start holding themselves to a higher standard because becoming a good team is hard, and the first step towards becoming a good team is demanding of everyone that they commit to doing what is necessary to become a good team.

This Raptors squad is ready to start looking towards the playoffs. Whether they are good enough to make it there or not will be determined by how they play together over the course of the season's 82 games. Regardless, that's the yardstick the club needs to start measuring itself by. They need to become singularly focused on becoming postseason staples, becoming a team that everyone expects to make it every season, and that starts with the organization demanding that level of performance from themselves. Will it be easy? No. If it was easy then the club wouldn't find themselves in the sorry state that they're in seventeen years into their existence. Until they start expecting more from themselves, though, they're going to be the same also-ran that they've always been. This team can be a playoff team, but it starts with them taking on that responsibility and all of the demands that come with it.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

I tend to really enjoy Chisholm's work, but I found this piece to be more of a ramble than anything of substance.

Hasn't Colangelo and Co. already said that playoffs is the goal this season?

And for the sake of argument, even if the playoffs weren't stated as a public goal by team officials, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the team's internal goal, right?

Last season, DeRozan went on record during the preseason saying that playoffs was the final goal, and I'm sure everyone outside of the team laughed hysterically. But he honestly believed it. I'm sure that belief exists even stronger this season (whether it's realistic or not).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      ...Hasn't Colangelo and Co. already said that playoffs is the goal this season?....
      Clearly they have. For whatever reason, Chisholm wasn't listening. I don't think I've heard a player that hasn't said outright, or at least intimated, that the playoffs are the goal. I am sure Casey has stated that as well. Not sure about McKechnie :-)

Comment

They have balance, they have role definition and they have financial flexibility.

I feel like I've typed that somewhere before..... especially the last one.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I feel like I've typed that somewhere before..... especially the last one.
          ARE YOU CHISHOLM?

/s
          TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
            ARE YOU CHISHOLM?

/s
            Pffft!

He wishes.

*jk*

More of a reference to the never ending bullsh!t on the homepage.

Comment

I tend to really enjoy Chisholm's work, but I found this piece to be more of a ramble than anything of substance.

And for the sake of argument, even if the playoffs weren't stated as a public goal by team officials, that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the team's internal goal, right?

Last season, DeRozan went on record during the preseason saying that playoffs was the final goal, and I'm sure everyone outside of the team laughed hysterically. But he honestly believed it. I'm sure that belief exists even stronger this season (whether it's realistic or not).
              This is (I'm assuming paraphrased) from Colangelo in the 'Town Hall' post from Macc

Raptors envisioning playoff spot this season, not guaranteed or promised, but with the young talent they feel a playoff spot is not out of the equation
              Which is what I've taken from most of what Colangelo has said this offseason. ie. Here's the line in the sand, if we don't cross it thats ok.

What really interests me is that just a year ago Chisolm was one of the biggest supporters of tanking. Seems to me to be a huge level of disparity between tanking one year and then setting a hard line standard of playoffs the next.

Comment

Normally I enjoy reading Chisholm's articles but this one I read the first sentence in every paragraph and the very last one and I feel like I didn't miss a thing. It's the time of year where you have to make up story lines because you haven't talked to players or coaches in months. Everyone just wants to start

Comment

Didn't even read it. Badass.

Comment

This article didn't seem to say anything of real value. In all honesty he should've just said
                    Will the Raptors make the playoffs this season?
                    Maybe
                    That's all I got from this. Wasted a good 5 minutes reading nothing. And like others have said I usually like what he writes.

Comment

On paper, I'd say no. However, games aren't played on paper.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Clearly they have. For whatever reason, Chisholm wasn't listening. I don't think I've heard a player that hasn't said outright, or at least intimated, that the playoffs are the goal. I am sure Casey has stated that as well. Not sure about McKechnie :-)
                        i have seen several interviews with bc where he says he isn't going to go so far as to say it was playoffs or bust, while i have also seen dc say his goal is the playoffs. i think that bc is being diplomatic and not giving the "fire bc" language any more fuel in case things go bad.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                          What really interests me is that just a year ago Chisolm was one of the biggest supporters of tanking. Seems to me to be a huge level of disparity between tanking one year and then setting a hard line standard of playoffs the next.
                          this was because he saw the best chance for us was to pair another top5 pick with jonas this year. he thought it best to really stink for one more year and then blow all the money this offseason building around dd, bargs, jonas and the as of then unknown top5 pick we all hoped would be barnes at the time.

Comment

Perhaps Chisolm is referring more to why the organization isn't promoting more clearly to public through media. A couple of random interview I've heard has BC saying playoffs are a goal and I recall Casey in an interview saying he's not sure if they are a playoff team as yet. Sort of an unclear message. Perhaps Chisolm is wondering why there isn't the sort of promotions for the playoffs as there were for the "young gunz" when they formed back in the day.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Perhaps Chisolm is referring more to why the organization isn't promoting more clearly to public through media. A couple of random interview I've heard has BC saying playoffs are a goal and I recall Casey in an interview saying he's not sure if they are a playoff team as yet. Sort of an unclear message. Perhaps Chisolm is wondering why there isn't the sort of promotions for the playoffs as there were for the "young gunz" when they formed back in the day.
                              That could be what Chisholm is suggesting, but do any teams make those sort of promotions? Perhaps the Heat and Lakers use championship trophies in their marketing campaigns (I don't know), but I can't say I've seen many teams make such promises.

Comment

Working...
                              X