Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies and gentlemen, meet Kyle "Alpha dog" Lowry

Nice interview !

“I definitely feel like I am the leader, I am a leader that can push my teammates and get after it and I think guys will follow me,” he said. “So as long as I come out there and show what I can do and be attacking and professional and do what I know how to do, it’s definitely going to do some good.”
    “To be the head of the snake,” he added, when asked what he hopes to accomplish in Toronto. “Just be up there. It starts with the point guard and as long as I’m doing what I’m supposed to do — getting up, pressuring, being talkative, loud, and being aggressive, my teammates got my back. And I know that if they see I’m up there working hard, they’re going to work hard for me, behind me.”
    Gotta love that leadership attitude. Go Kyle !

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/26...-looks-to-lead

That gets me pretty pumped for the season. To finally have someone on the team whom isn't scared about calling it his team and to want the role of leader. I could see Kyle playing the role of Baron Davis they year Golden State made it to the playoffs. He was a great leader for the team and the city really rallied behind their team that year. Can't wait for opening day!

Comment

Nice to have a dude who can play with a killer mentality and not be ashamed to be in Canada.

Comment

Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          That gets me pretty pumped for the season. To finally have someone on the team whom isn't scared about calling it his team and to want the role of leader. I could see Kyle playing the role of Baron Davis they year Golden State made it to the playoffs. He was a great leader for the team and the city really rallied behind their team that year. Can't wait for opening day!
          That is a great comparison. This would be amazing.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
            Basically, he sounds more and more like Jarret Jack, but with a bit more talent...

Also, if it wasn't for Alvin Williams convincing him that playing in Toronto is alright, he wouldn't be with us...
            But he is with us (This could be the luck I keep hearing about). Regarless of how he got here, its nice to have a borderline allstar taking the reigns and leading our team.

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
              But he is with us (This could be the luck I keep hearing about). Regarless of how he got here, its nice to have a borderline allstar taking the reigns and leading our team.
              +1 Totally agree.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

His contract has a no trade clause?

Comment

Wasn't he obtained in a trade? He didn't make a choice. Perhaps the Raps got some convincing from Alvin, but not Lowry.

I'm excited to see how this team comes together, with great hopes that KL is both the vocal and energy leader that he appears to be, though seriously taking the responsibility of making others better as a floor general.
                  Last edited by p00ka; Fri Sep 28, 2012, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Agreed. The only people Alvin had to "convince" were Casey and Colangelo. Lowry had no choice in the matter.

Comment

Agreed on all the comments stating Lowry had no choice.

In the first interviews after the trade he did express hesitation until he spoke with Alvin, studied up with Simon, and had dinner with Theodore..... er, I mean, spoke with Alvin, did a little research on the players on the roster, and learned more about Toronto.

Comment

Interesting. Coach Casey all called him an alpha dog during his press conference with the media during the voluntary practices.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

If he didn't want to be here he wouldn't have done the thing with Landry where they delivered season tickets to fans, nor would he talk about Toronto and the team as positively as he does.

Not to mention the way he's been trying to round up players for various outings. The pic of Acy and Flying V waiting in the lobby or the boys at the jays game all in jays hats brought a big smile to my face.

The young guys already seem to have a good relationship, and if a guy like Lowry is leading the charge in building chemistry this early on nothing but good will come of it.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Agreed on all the comments stating Lowry had no choice.

In the first interviews after the trade he did express hesitation until he spoke with Alvin, studied up with Simon, and had dinner with Theodore..... er, I mean, spoke with Alvin, did a little research on the players on the roster, and learned more about Toronto.
                            Haha, you can't really deliver something like that with text

Comment

Not to be nit-picky .. but there is a big difference between being a leader and being an alpha-dog - the two are not synonymous.

Dont get me wrong .. we havent had either here for a long time .. but Ill make the distinction. VC was an alpha dog through and through. When the chips were down and you needed a big shot, there was absolutely no question who was going to take it. None, zero, zip, zilch. Thats an alpha dog. Was he a great leader? Not really .. to some extent he led by performance, but he was an average leader at best.
                              I would argue CB, while a very good player, was neither a leader nor an alpha dog.

Lowrie, on the other hand, appears to have good leadership skills. Ability to run the floor, rally the troops, lead by example. Thats great and something this team sorely needs.

However, I havent seen any evidence yet that he has "alpha dog" in him .. that "give me the damn ball and Ill make sure something happens" mentality down the stretch. That quality is reserved for the special of special players .. Im not saying he couldnt develop it .. but Im not ready to declare it just yet (while I am ready to say he appears to have good leadership qualities ... but so does Reggie Evans, for example, and hes definitely not an alpha dog)

Comment

Working...
                              X