No announcement yet.

Charles Barkley's preview of the Raptors 2012-13 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Y'know why he seems like he could care less about this squad? Because he doesn't give a shit about the raps or any other bubble team with no marquee player, no history of being anything other than crap to mediocre and when you're best player is a guy who had a decent 2 months last year and your biggest hope is a guy no one has seen play this side of the Atlantic ocean and you're in the deepest division in the league guess what? YOU DON'T FRIGGIN MATTER. AT ALL! If the raps make him eat his words he'll own up to it (Seen him do it in the past) and he'll give credit where it's due but c'mon you guys: GROW UP. it was a throw away 2 minutes of nothing because there's nothing to be said.

Bashing the IQ of one of the greatest players to ever play the game because he could give 2 shits about any of these "previews" much less 2 shits about a team that is AT BEST one and done in the post season says more about you girls than it does Barkley.

You no this is all a part of his schtick right? yeesh
    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
      Came across this on NBA.COM - this is the most ridiculous preview I've seen so far; I'm a big Barkley fan and think he is hilarious to watch in between NBA games. This is stupid - he has no reasoning behind his points, and he bashes them by stating they have absolutely no chance of finishing better than last in their division. I expect a little more from Charles......thoughts?

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nb...r-preview.nba/

Apologies if this was posted somewhere else, but I saw this and had to put this up - didn't see it anywhere else. I guess if I'm playing devil's advocate, my point would be they need to start winning to gain the respect of US media....same story every year
      To paraphrase Chuck: "I don't know anything about the Raptors and I didn't count the number of teams in the Atlantic prior to this interview but I'm assuming the Raptors will be the worst."

Guys, if we get bent out of shape over this stuff we'll be jumping off the ledge before opening tip off.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        How do we know Nash wasn't part of another plan that if Nash had come then move x, y, and z were to be made? All we know is Nash was pursued and it did not work out. He then moved on and we are watching what happens.

The assumptions made to me are akin to picking up a 1000 page novel and reading page 45, 140, 287, 315, 498, 509, 631, 799, 836, and 900 and thinking you know what the book was all about.
        I don't know what plans he had, but Steve Nash was obviously not in line with what we were doing all last season. Looking at Lowry and what he brings proves that without a doubt.

Actually, using your analogy I've read volumes 1-5 of a series of books. It's been a long series of a genre I happen to enjoy but I'm a bit upset about the whole thing because although volume 1 was a really good book that showed a lot of promise, volumes 2-5 have been filled with disappointment. I can't believe I keep buying these books, but at this point I feel like I have no choice.. I've invested so much time and money. And I'm not the only one--fans of this book series have suggested that perhaps they replace the author with someone who has a better vision. The first book showed so much potential, but was it a fluke? Many people are wondering because books 2-5 have just been really bad.

I've now read chapter 1 of volume 6, and it is looking like the author still doesn't know what he's doing. He's all over the map. The patterns are there, and I'm beginning to think volume 6 is going to be just as bad as 2-5 based on past history of what I've read in the previous volumes.

I'm not saying volume 6 is going to end horribly, but I also don't understand why there are people out there who are optimistic about it. They've read that same horrible chapter 1. Why think otherwise?
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          I don't know what plans he had, but Steve Nash was obviously not in line with what we were doing all last season. Looking at Lowry and what he brings proves that without a doubt.

Actually, using your analogy I've read volumes 1-5 of a series of books. It's been a long series of a genre I happen to enjoy but I'm a bit upset about the whole thing because although volume 1 was a really good book that showed a lot of promise, volumes 2-5 have been filled with disappointment. I can't believe I keep buying these books, but at this point I feel like I have no choice.. I've invested so much time and money. And I'm not the only one--fans of this book series have suggested that perhaps they replace the author with someone who has a better vision. The first book showed so much potential, but was it a fluke? Many people are wondering because books 2-5 have just been really bad.

I've now read chapter 1 of volume 6, and it is looking like the author still doesn't know what he's doing. He's all over the map. The patterns are there, and I'm beginning to think volume 6 is going to be just as bad as 2-5 based on past history of what I've read in the previous volumes.

I'm not saying volume 6 is going to end horribly, but I also don't understand why there are people out there who are optimistic about it. They've read that same horrible chapter 1. Why think otherwise?
          Love the analogy, and I totally agree about books 2-5. I just think our hapless author got a brand new editor for book six...let's call him Wayne Dacey.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
            How do you know he's a great basketball mind? It can't be because he's on national TV every day. Because Skip Bayless is on national TV and we all know how much he knows about basketball. My point is that Barkley is a part of these basketball talks mostly for his appeal to fans and his ability to create controversies, IMO
            I felt the urge to launch into all the reasons why Chuck may know a thing or two about basketball, but then I came to the realization that I was falling victim to a troll. This is a troll response, right? Just in case, I'll link you to wikipedia so you can check for yourself some of the reasons why Chuck knows ball.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
              I felt the urge to launch into all the reasons why Chuck may know a thing or two about basketball, but then I came to the realization that I was falling victim to a troll. This is a troll response, right? Just in case, I'll link you to wikipedia so you can check for yourself some of the reasons why Chuck knows ball.
              Still doesn't disprove my point that he isn't there for his knowledge. I'm not trolling or anything, but it's pretty clear to most people that he doesn't portray himself as a particularly smart person, but rather a controversial one. Whether he has a high basketball IQ is irrelevant if he isn't going to use it

Comment

Well, that was incoherent! He literally had nothing to say, I'd hardly call this a "preview" of anything, just NBA.com banking on Chuck's personality to get some cheap hits.

Comment

Still doesn't disprove my point that he isn't there for his knowledge. I'm not trolling or anything, but it's pretty clear to most people that he doesn't portray himself as a particularly smart person, but rather a controversial one. Whether he has a high basketball IQ is irrelevant if he isn't going to use it
                  He's there to present highly credible opinions in a highly entertaining fashion.

In this scenario, his opinion is that the raps are irrelevant & guaranteed to finish last in the atlantic. The entertainment part is how he plays the clown that doesn't know the teams in the division. Anybody that reacts negatively to the second part is doing so because they are defensive about the first part.

Stop trying to tell me that Barkley doesn't know basketball.

Comment

I have to say that is an awesome post, ebrian. Well done.... 100% sincerity by the way.

Keeping with your analogy, I would say volume 1 was great. Volume 2 was so so. I think there were issues beyond the author's control that affected the success. I agree volume 3 and 4 were dreadful. The author tried really hard but it just didn't come together. Volume 5 was a total flop but you could see some of the storylines starting to come together, clearly the author spent a lot of time on character development. Volume 6 you could see a shift in the direction of the story and it is showing great promise although at the end of it there was a "WTF moment" where many wondered what was going on with this mysterious new character. This new guy was interesting but he probably would have done more harm to the story than good long term. Volume 7 is starting up and this mysterious character was removed from the story - thankfully - and it remains to be seen how all these fascinating story lines come together. Needless to say, despite some major let downs in earlier volumes, Volume 7 has a lot of people excited.

Comment

He's there to present highly credible opinions in a highly entertaining fashion.

In this scenario, his opinion is that the raps are irrelevant & guaranteed to finish last in the atlantic. The entertainment part is how he plays the clown that doesn't know the teams in the division. Anybody that reacts negatively to the second part is doing so because they are defensive about the first part.

If you read my post again, you'll see that I didn't at all say that Barkley doesn't know basketball. And I get your point completely. I just find he puts the "entertainment" aspect in front of the "credible" aspect most of the time

Comment

He doesn't actually. He was a great player and thats it, outside of playing he has no knowledge of basketball. Stop treating him like a god. Btw if anyone's trolling around here its you, and you've been doing it since day 1 when you joined this site.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          He doesn't actually. He was a great player and thats it, outside of playing he has no knowledge of basketball. Stop treating him like a god. Btw if anyone's trolling around here its you, and you've been doing it since day 1 when you joined this site.
                          Youre on tilt, bro. Its great how you played out my negative reaction/defensive theory to a T while quoting my post about it.

Demar sucks! (OK that was trolling)

Comment

I just find he puts the "entertainment" aspect in front of the "credible" aspect most of the time
                            Thats much more agreeable than the "he's an idiot" response. His point in the clip is that the raptors are irrelevant. while certainly not a unanimous opinion, its also not uncommon among non-idiots.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              I have to say that is an awesome post, ebrian. Well done.... 100% sincerity by the way.

Keeping with your analogy, I would say volume 1 was great. Volume 2 was so so. I think there were issues beyond the author's control that affected the success. I agree volume 3 and 4 were dreadful. The author tried really hard but it just didn't come together. Volume 5 was a total flop but you could see some of the storylines starting to come together, clearly the author spent a lot of time on character development. Volume 6 you could see a shift in the direction of the story and it is showing great promise although at the end of it there was a "WTF moment" where many wondered what was going on with this mysterious new character. This new guy was interesting but he probably would have done more harm to the story than good long term. Volume 7 is starting up and this mysterious character was removed from the story - thankfully - and it remains to be seen how all these fascinating story lines come together. Needless to say, despite some major let downs in earlier volumes, Volume 7 has a lot of people excited.
                              Ack.. volume 7! I guess there have been so many bad volumes that I've lost track of them.. I thought we were on 6!

I just wanted to add that this analogy reminds me of Game of Thrones a bit.
                              your pal,
                              ebrian

Comment

...I just wanted to add that this analogy reminds me of Game of Thrones a bit.
                                That was my first guess. I am trying to force my way through volume four. Tough sledding.

Comment

Working...
                                X