This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My apologies if this has been asked but here goes:

What happens with the 'contracts' when 2 team complete a trade?

This is what I think, correct me if wrong:
    Players outgoing contracts are removed from team cap. Players coming in are assigned contracts based on available cap space with the new team.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Players outgoing contracts are removed from team cap. Players coming in are assigned contracts based on available cap space with the new team.
      I'm pretty sure you absorb the players contracts, not assign them after a trade.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
        I'm pretty sure you absorb the players contracts, not assign them after a trade.
        That does not work well with the hard cap of 40 years. What happens if you trade for a guy on 6 years and you send out a 2 year player? All of a sudden a team could end up with 44 years on their cap.

Personally, I would prefer the way I suggested. It creates a level playing field where a team can never go over 40 unless it is signing players off waivers for 1 year and losing them the following year.

Comment

That does not work well with the hard cap of 40 years. What happens if you trade for a guy on 6 years and you send out a 2 year player? All of a sudden a team could end up with 44 years on their cap.

Personally, I would prefer the way I suggested. It creates a level playing field where a team can never go over 40 unless it is signing players off waivers for 1 year and losing them the following year.
          I am guessing that a player's contract is part of the deal... something that must be taken into consideration when you are making a transaction (more like the NBA). If this is the case, then I suggest that when managers are sending trade proposals they should add the contract length in the attached notes (at the bottom of the trade).
          “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
          ― John Wooden

Comment

The Coach wrote: View Post
            I am guessing that a player's contract is part of the deal... something that must be taken into consideration when you are making a transaction (more like the NBA). If this is the case, then I suggest that when managers are sending trade proposals they should add the contract length in the attached notes (at the bottom of the trade).
            While that would be more 'real' it does not fit the system that is currently set up. I was under the impression we were operating in a hard cap system.

Essentially we have a hard cap (40 years) that can only be gone over by signing maximum 1 year contracts.

While the idea of making it real like the NBA is great it does not recognize they operate on dollars and we are operating on years. Even on their trades the years make no difference, it is the dollar amount. In our league the hard cap of 40 should be the guiding principal.

Just to be clear, I am down for whatever.

Comment

What tucas wrote is how I see it as well. When you have no caproom the incoming contracts can't be more than the outgoing contracts. You can only take on extra contractyears when your captotal after the trade will at most be 40.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                What tucas wrote is how I see it as well. When you have no caproom the incoming contracts can't be more than the outgoing contracts. You can only take on extra contractyears when your captotal after the trade will at most be 40.
                Then we have a hybrid of our thoughts.

My issue of going over the cap is resolved.

Tucas' issue of keeping the contract is resolved.

If the trade takes you over the cap, then it can't be done.

Personally, I still like my suggestion/original thought but this works too as it addressed the biggest concern I had which is going over the cap.

Comment

I don't mind either Euro's or Matt's idea for the trade issue. But I suppose Euro's makes it similar to the real thing.

One question I have for dropping players though;

Hypothetically, let's say we have a player signed for 5 years. What happens if, in say year 1 or 2, the player is doing either terrible or has a bad injury and you don't feel he's worth keeping. If you've explored trade possibilities but your only option is to drop. Can you just release the guy and then coup those years back to sign other FA's? Or possibly allocate some years to other players already on your team?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                    I don't mind either Euro's or Matt's idea for the trade issue. But I suppose Euro's makes it similar to the real thing.

One question I have for dropping players though;

Hypothetically, let's say we have a player signed for 5 years. What happens if, in say year 1 or 2, the player is doing either terrible or has a bad injury and you don't feel he's worth keeping. If you've explored trade possibilities but your only option is to drop. Can you just release the guy and then coup those years back to sign other FA's? Or possibly allocate some years to other players already on your team?
                    I believe I remember reading that when you drop one of your players the remaining years continue to count against your cap.
                    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
                    ― John Wooden

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                      This is what it says in the CBA on the group page:

Exception: Each team has a one time amnesty clause available for use. This will allow you to cut one player in the off-season without any salary cap implications.
                      So, you can get his contract of the books in the off-season. But it's a onetime thing; if you have this happening to another player in the future, you can't do that anymore and his contract will stay on the books untill it expires. You can always cut a player even during the season, but during the season this doesn't create caproom.

I don't know what happens when a player retires from the nba or if his real-life nba contract expires and he doesn't get a new nba-deal. I'm thinking that's a manager's risk and the contract still counts against the cap.

Comment

• As per your last paragraph, that's why I inked Kobe to a 3 year deal.

Thanks for the clarification on the amnesty, I forgot I had read that.

One more question I have though. I have about 3-4 players on my roster with one year deals that I may not want to keep very long. Can we just keep releasing these players and picking up new ones(to same 1 yr deals) throughout the year without it effecting our cap?

Sorry if all this has been covered, I'm just not used to so many different rules and stipulations in fantasy sports. More questions will follow I'm sure, until my dumbass has it down pat!

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                          As per your last paragraph, that's why I inked Kobe to a 3 year deal.

Thanks for the clarification on the amnesty, I forgot I had read that.

One more question I have though. I have about 3-4 players on my roster with one year deals that I may not want to keep very long. Can we just keep releasing these players and picking up new ones(to same 1 yr deals) throughout the year without it effecting our cap?

Sorry if all this has been covered, I'm just not used to so many different rules and stipulations in fantasy sports. More questions will follow I'm sure, until my dumbass has it down pat!
                          Most things can be found in the CBA thread Apollo made on the group page. Whatever still needs to be sorted out, like how the draftorder will be decided, I guess will be added later.

Concerning your question; this has indeed been discussed before in this thread. You can keep dropping and adding players and sign them to any contract untill your cap reaches 40. You have the right to re-sign each of these players in the off-season if their contract expires (with a max of two players each year). The contract of every player you drop will still count against the cap. When your cap is at 40 and you want to drop a player and add a new one that player gets a one-year contract and he becomes a free agent after the year.

Something to note here: I'm assuming that if you drop a player and add him again later that you have to give him a new contract.

Comment

• Sometimes I just need a little clarification! Muchos Gracias, I appreciate it.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Players outgoing contracts are removed from team cap. Players coming in are assigned contracts based on available
                              The contract goes with the player.

If both teams are capped, contracts have to balance or I veto the trade.

Comment

• What happens to an injured player? Will we be able to put them on the disabled list and then pick up a player till they return?
                                ― John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                                X