Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GAME THREAD: Double Dose of Detroit! (Part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Our" is possessive. While I understand why people do it (they possess the Raptors in their hearts) it is silly a little bit. If they were "Your" team, then you would have some say in what happens. And with most of the folks here that talk about "THEIR Raps" team, I am just glad they have no influence.

Comment

You know we don't mean it literally... Its kind of like when you have a highschool or college team and they say "your *insert team name*". The fans are what teams play for so we sort of are part of the team, in our hearts. I'm sure most people get what i mean, can't really explain it too well but you get the basic point.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        You know we don't mean it literally... Its kind of like when you have a highschool or college team and they say "your *insert team name*". The fans are what teams play for so we sort of are part of the team, in our hearts. I'm sure most people get what i mean, can't really explain it too well but you get the basic point.
        I totally understand it NoProps. Just not something I would ever do. In another thread, on another forum I said "Words have meanings." I believe that so I strive for accuracy in what I say and write.

I think it is important with the popular culture we currently have. Don't need any more misunderstanding than we already have.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          I really think that Allan Anderson is going to take that back up 3 spot.
          Karma or master plan? Anderson plays above his head to win the raps a few meaningless games at the end of the year. Meaningless, except those wins dropped up just below GSW in the draft...just out of reach of Harrison Barnes...who would have taken all of those "3" minutes. Crafty move Mr Anderson.

Comment

e2thed wrote: View Post
            My new avatar says it all.
            +100000000000

Comment

So many good things to see in JV. The tv crew broke down about four different aspects of what he did right on that last hook shot. The part they left out? He hits the game clinching basket in his first home game....and he puts his head down and runs back to the other end of the court for D. So much to like.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                "Our" is possessive. While I understand why people do it (they possess the Raptors in their hearts) it is silly a little bit. If they were "Your" team, then you would have some say in what happens. And with most of the folks here that talk about "THEIR Raps" team, I am just glad they have no influence.
                Puffer wrote: View Post
                Don't need any more misunderstanding than we already have.
                When I see fans refering to the Raptors as "Ours", it does not imply 'ownership' at all, but simply implies 'inclusion'; at least, to me anyway.
                So often you will hear athletes refer to the Home Fans as the 6th man (or something along those lines), so to me, its not completely out of line for the fans to think they are part of the team, and thus refer to the team as their own; not as the 'owner', but as the players would.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
                  So many good things to see in JV. The tv crew broke down about four different aspects of what he did right on that last hook shot. The part they left out? He hits the game clinching basket in his first home game....and he puts his head down and runs back to the other end of the court for D. So much to like.
                  Very pleased with his performance tonight. Not to mention, he outperformed Drummond by a large margin tonight. Not sure where all of Drummonds minutes went though.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    When I see fans refering to the Raptors as "Ours", it does not imply 'ownership' at all, but simply implies 'inclusion'; at least, to me anyway.
                    So often you will hear athletes refer to the Home Fans as the 6th man (or something along those lines), so to me, its not completely out of line for the fans to think they are part of the team, and thus refer to the team as their own; not as the 'owner', but as the players would.
                    +1 thanks for clearing it up

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      Ok, so I went back and checked to make sure, because I was trying to figure out why Linas took a shot at that dude. So in the 3rd, I thought I saw Jonas look like someone hit his back, so I checked, and I think it's Stuckey or one of their other perimeter players just gave him the elbow right in the spine. Looks like Linas will be getting JV's back, if not the whole team's, this year. This makes him entirely worth his contract. Dude is cold blooded.
                      Welcome to your 2012/2013 Toronto Raptors!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Don't mean to be a dick but this is a sky hook:

What JV did was more of a running hook.

Nice write up though.
                        Haha, got it Matt. Thanks
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Is it just me? But Alan Anderson, John Lucas III, and Valanciunas are going to be some serious fan favourites. Alan was so good on both ends tonight, he is a true professional, and a very good role player. John Lucas, no matter how many shots he takes, you can't take away from the fact he plays so hard. Jonas? This guy can play.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                            Is it just me? But Alan Anderson, John Lucas III, and Valanciunas are going to be some serious fan favourites. Alan was so good on both ends tonight, he is a true professional, and a very good role player. John Lucas, no matter how many shots he takes, you can't take away from the fact he plays so hard. Jonas? This guy can play.
                            i ripped anderson last year but from what i have seen in pre-season so far i am eating some crow. he is looking good. i like the way lucas has played but still think he is pretty shot happy.

Comment

JV impressive this game. Gotta love how active he was being. That running hook was nice but there were a couple of occassions he received the ball down low and looked quite comfortable. If he can be a consistent low post scoring threat I'd be even more impressed.

Not sure if its been mentioned yet, but DeMar has 7 picks in 3 games. If he can keep this up and you add Lowry (averaged 1.1 steals a game last year) it could make easy points and additional posessions for the good guys.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post

I liked Anderson last year and am liking him this year. Because of the decimated roster last year he had to overplay some games and wound up forcing some shots to try and make stuff happen. This year he is able to play within himself.

He makes good decisions, offensively and defensively. He's got a nice shot from the three arc. Good handles. A solid pick-up. Hope he stays for a few years. If BC can extend his contract I think he should. This is a guy who is happy to be here, grateful for the chance and will never be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X