Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tor-Hou

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=8eda8kc

Raptors receive: Kevin Martin, Donatas Motiejunas, 2013 1st round pick (Kyle Lowry trade)

Rockets receive: Andrea Bargnani

Why not trade Bargs and shed some cap space for the future. I just don't predict that JV and Bargs will truly compliment each other. Bargs needs a big man coach that will teach him post moves better to broaden his game, McHale is the perfect coach for him. We get our pick back from the Kyle trade, maybe a bit of an overkill but I think it adds to how valuable Bargs is. Ed can then be the starter at the 4, and add some healthy competition for him and D-Mo for some PT. Donatas Motiejunas has a similar game like Bargs but hes younger and more active on the boards.
    Taking on Kevin Martin's expiring contract eases up more time for Lamb and Delfino, plus he can act as a mentor to our SGs for a season.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

This is a good idea.

I think I'd do it.... no wait... I'd do it.

Comment

This also works as I think Asik would be a good compliment to Bargnani.

If Houston thought it was too much for Bargnani, the Raps could throw in a 2nd rounder or two (2013, 2014, or 2014 Kings).

e2thed, nice idea man.

Martin is also an expiring contract, so between him and Calderon that is nearly $23M coming off the books.

I like Bargnani but one has to be realistic - this trade would really benefit the Raptors near and long term, I think.

I doubt Morey would go for it though. He is supposedly big in to advanced stats and I'm not sure Bargnani would look too good to him.

Wow. But really good idea. It is not very often anything of useful thought comes from here but this definitely qualifies.

Comment

Thanks Matt, I've actually gave this trade some thought.
        After watching Bargs and JV on the floor together last game it looks like there is potential for good chemistry between them, but it will take some time.
        Ed is more focused and conditioned right now it would be wrong not to start him.
        Plus save some money for the future, not bad at all.
        Last edited by e2thed; Tue Oct 16, 2012, 12:42 AM. Reason: misconception
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

If we get to the trade deadline, and the team really is not winning and are below expectations, I would be fine with shipping out Bargs and a 2nd round pick for this package.

Smart trade.

Comment

Finally, a good trade on the Trade Forum. Hallelujah! Love the trade! I'd wait to see how Andrea does in the regular season before attempting this trade. If he doesn't live up to expectations, we get rid of Andrea and we get our 1st round pick back which is amazing. It also frees up more time for Davis and Acy to develop their game in the regular season. I like the idea of having Kevin Martin in to mentor either Demar or Ross and maybe he can spend some time at the SF spot when Fields is struggling to score. If we don't play him as our starting SF, he could be our 6th man which gives up a really good scoring option off the bench along with Ross. Even better is that Martin is an expiring contract! Love it, love it love it! Thank you e2thed for making my day

Comment

I don't think this is a situation where we can wait and see how Bargnani & Co are doing this season and pull the trigger if the team is flopping.. In fact, the only way I can see this trade working is if Bargnani is able to start the season the same way as he did last year. We'll need to be dealing from a position of strength, and like Matt said, we'll need to throw in some second rounders.
              D Mo is potentially Bargnani 2.0, and I'm sure Morey can see that. However, Houston has a surplus of rookies, and they've made big financial commitments to guys like Lin and Asik. Maybe they would be willing to bring in a consistent, legitimate scorer.
              I would absolutely do this deal, and I think this deal could possibly even look appetizing to both parties involved.
              Nice

Comment

can we have t.jones instead of martin? isn't montiejunas the bargs clone?

i think it's a good package for a bargs' deal

Comment

Good trade.. I'd definitely do it as well.

My concern is that Houston may be giving too much though. If you are including that pick, then essentially the trade would look like:

Martin, Motiejunas, Lowry for Bargnani, Forbes.

Seems like it's a bit lopsided...

Comment

From a Toronto point of view, it must be a YES and no time should be wasted in doing it. From a Houston point of view, I'm afraid the opposite. Keep in my mind that the fact that they acquired the Tor. 1st rounder for Lowry and are hanging on to Martin(flexibility) is `cause they have the future in mind. Yes they want to compete now, but seemingly the plan is the future.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                      From a Toronto point of view, it must be a YES and no time should be wasted in doing it. From a Houston point of view, I'm afraid the opposite. Keep in my mind that the fact that they acquired the Tor. 1st rounder for Lowry and are hanging on to Martin(flexibility) is `cause they have the future in mind. Yes they want to compete now, but seemingly the plan is the future.
                      Bargnani is very well suited for any future plans. He's only 26, not to mention he will flourish under Mchale. This would be a good situation for Houston, especially because it clears up roster space allowing their guys like Lamb, Jones, and White to get playing time.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Bargnani is very well suited for any future plans. He's only 26, not to mention he will flourish under Mchale. This would be a good situation for Houston, especially because it clears up roster space allowing their guys like Lamb, Jones, and White to get playing time.

I'm a Raptors fan and would love to see this Trade take place. The question is -Is is realistically possible as posted? I think it's possible but not as posted. Remove the 1 st rounder and it makes it a fair deal for Houston. Houston would still be reluctant to pull the trigger but IMO they should. As you say, a 26 year old Bargnani is an asset worth having for the future and they'd be foolish not to acquire him.

Toronto on the other hand would have a log jam of guards but if it means flexibility at the end of the season, it's OK. Bargnani's absence means one big man less but Raps have many who can make up for it. His offensive production will not be missed as Martin is capable of around 20 a game.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Sorry to piggy back on your trade, but I was thinking that Martin would need 30mpg to be successful, and with Toronto it would be difficult with DeRozan, Ross and Fields at the wings.

Utah on the other hand needs a SG, so how about this:
                          http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d7fnr6q

Raptors receive: Millsap, Motiejunas, Bell
                          Utah receives: Martin
                          Houston receives: Bargnani

Raja Bell has been on the outs with Utah so including him in the deal shouldn't be a concern (and his contract allows the transaction to work). He'd be a nice veteran guy that plays defense and can shoot the long ball and is an expiring contract. We can buy him out if he doesn't want to play here. Millsap can get you 16ppg so shouldn't be too difficult to make up most of Bargnani's points - plus he's an expiring contract. Utah gets Martin who also has the expiring contract.. but they would then free up room for Favors/Kanter to get more minutes with Millsap gone. Motiejunas is also thrown in for the Bargnani trade. Although I'd rather have the lottery pick back instead of Motiejunas but I don't see us being able to get both.

Comment

Got thinking about this trade again last night.. Here's what I love
                            Remember last year when Bargnani had such a great start? He seemed committed to defense, attempted to box out and was scoring like a machine? What if we could go back in time, take Bargnani's natural gifts and skillset, and put him under Dwayne Casey's coaching.
                            Enter Montiejunas

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Sorry to piggy back on your trade, but I was thinking that Martin would need 30mpg to be successful, and with Toronto it would be difficult with DeRozan, Ross and Fields at the wings.

Utah on the other hand needs a SG, so how about this:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=d7fnr6q

Raptors receive: Millsap, Motiejunas, Bell
                              Utah receives: Martin
                              Houston receives: Bargnani

Raja Bell has been on the outs with Utah so including him in the deal shouldn't be a concern (and his contract allows the transaction to work). He'd be a nice veteran guy that plays defense and can shoot the long ball and is an expiring contract. We can buy him out if he doesn't want to play here. Millsap can get you 16ppg so shouldn't be too difficult to make up most of Bargnani's points - plus he's an expiring contract. Utah gets Martin who also has the expiring contract.. but they would then free up room for Favors/Kanter to get more minutes with Millsap gone. Motiejunas is also thrown in for the Bargnani trade. Although I'd rather have the lottery pick back instead of Motiejunas but I don't see us being able to get both.
                              I'm a big Millsap fan and would love to see him a Raptor. A front court of Jonas and Millsap would do wonders for Toronto. In-fact I had posted a trade involving Millsap. For Raps. though at this time, IMO trading Bargnani should mean a reasonably good offensive player coming back. This is because, the way this team is composed, he's our number one offensive weapon.

I'd love to see Millsap a Raptor at some point.
                              Last edited by Eric Akshinthala; Wed Oct 17, 2012, 11:30 AM.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X