Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm calling it now: sometime before the trade deadline, Jose's ending up in Dallas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    Dallas has nothing to offer that equals to Calderon, not to mention anything we want, it completely out of range. Mayo is the only guy I can see we can get sorely by trading Calderon+asset+pick.
    I'd take Mayo. He's an upgrade over DeRozan.

Comment

We're now seriously heading into bs-land. If Dallas wants to trade away Mayo after a couple of weeks/months, that means he's not panning out. In which case he continues the trend of the last two years and isn't better than DeRozan. If he is an ungrade over DeRozan, Dallas won't trade him.

Comment

I think he'll eventually end up with the Lake Show, where he can play with his bestest buddy Pau Gasol, but for now he's staying put.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          We're now seriously heading into bs-land. If Dallas wants to trade away Mayo after a couple of weeks/months, that means he's not panning out. In which case he continues the trend of the last two years and isn't better than DeRozan. If he is an ungrade over DeRozan, Dallas won't trade him.
          Unless we package along a veteran point guard, who's probably better than West, and can mentor a young guy like Beaubois. With a second round pick, or whatsoever.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
            Unless we package along a veteran point guard, who's probably better than West, and can mentor a young guy like Beaubois. With a second round pick, or whatsoever.
            Makes no sense whatsoever in my opinion. On a side note: West isn't a bad player; personally I like him a lot and think that if he didn't have all the issues that he has (...) he would have been on a much higher profiled (and paid) career path.

Comment

Makes no sense whatsoever in my opinion. On a side note: West isn't a bad player; personally I like him a lot and think that if he didn't have all the issues that he has (...) he would have been on a much higher profiled (and paid) career path.
              I expected that career path to improve greatly after sleeping with Mrs. Lebron .. But then he got caught riding a Motorcycle with a Sawed-off Shotgun...

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                I expected that career path to improve greatly after sleeping with Mrs. Lebron .. But then he got caught riding a Motorcycle with a Sawed-off Shotgun...
                Having some serious mental problems doesn't help either. Being an nbastar/-player doesn't make it easier to deal with that.

Comment

Having some serious mental problems doesn't help either. Being an nbastar/-player doesn't make it easier to deal with that.
                  Completely agree. I'd like to see him reach out to Royce White actually.

I mean, not that Delonte has been a model example of dealing with Mental Illness in the NBA, but he could offer some insight I'm sure.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'd take Mayo. He's an upgrade over DeRozan.
                    I don't believe that anymore. He hasn't shown anything that makes me think he's better than DeRozan. If he was, he would be an all star. People need to stop thinking that cause it sure as hell isn't true

Comment

I'm not sure how this thread has become a debate about Mayo, especially since it's incredibly doubtful he'd be on the block in any Calderon-to-Dallas trade (real or rumored).

Having said that, I do think that Mayo has been undervalued due to playing in the shadow of Gay/Gasol/Randolph and having a reputation as a problem player. I was actually one of the minority of people pushing for a Mayo signing, in part to help facilitate a DeRozan trade. My rationale is that Mayo was signed quite cheaply (especailly if he proves that he isn't the problem that he has the reputation for being), is/was way ahead of DeRozan heading into this season (scoring, 3pt shooting, defense, rebounding) and trading DeRozan would net the team another asset(s) in return before having to shell out big bucks to re-sign him (likely more than what Mayo signed for).

I do think that DeRozan has the tools and the drive to match/exceed what Mayo brings to the table and I sincerely hope he does so this season for the Raps. He needs to, to justify the contract he'll likely be looking for.

I think Mayo will do well on a veteran team that doesn't put up with crap, which is another reason I doubt he'd be on the block for Calderon. I also doubt Marion would be on the block. The only pieces I can see Dallas offering are Carter, Beaubois, D.Jones and potentially some of the minimum wage type players. I just don't see a fit without a third team being involved.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                        I don't believe that anymore. He hasn't shown anything that makes me think he's better than DeRozan. If he was, he would be an all star. People need to stop thinking that cause it sure as hell isn't true
                        This reasoning implies that the only way to be better than DeRozan is to be an all-star. I don't agree with it. DeRozan has a LONG way to go before reaching all-star consideration. In other words, it's easy to be better than DeRozan without being an all-star.

Mayo has better handles, has a better mid range, and 3pt game, and is a better passer. They're both poor rebounders and defenders. DeRozan happens to get to the line more often, but when it comes to fundamental shooting guard skills, there's no question that Mayo is better equipped.
                        Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Agreed on all fronts, but the problem with comparing these two right now is that DeRozan is now our SF. Mayo cannot play SF.

As it stands, we have two shooting guards in Ross and Fields, and then 3 point guards all capable of playing SG. We don't need Mayo at this time (actually we probably do but with all the salaries tied up at SG, it just makes no sense right now).
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

I'm not convinced that Coaches/Management see DeRozan as a SF (especially on the defensive end). So far this preseason, it's looked like Fields has been consistently playing the "bigger" position.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Agreed on all fronts, but the problem with comparing these two right now is that DeRozan is now our SF. Mayo cannot play SF.

As it stands, we have two shooting guards in Ross and Fields, and then 3 point guards all capable of playing SG. We don't need Mayo at this time (actually we probably do but with all the salaries tied up at SG, it just makes no sense right now).
                              What team have you been watching? Fields is starting at the 3 homie

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                This reasoning implies that the only way to be better than DeRozan is to be an all-star. I don't agree with it. DeRozan has a LONG way to go before reaching all-star consideration. In other words, it's easy to be better than DeRozan without being an all-star.

Mayo has better handles, has a better mid range, and 3pt game, and is a better passer. They're both poor rebounders and defenders. DeRozan happens to get to the line more often, but when it comes to fundamental shooting guard skills, there's no question that Mayo is better equipped.
                                Yea thats all great. But even with all those so called advantages, mayo hasn't shown shit. DeRozan as of right now is looking better than mayo. And its not because i'm a homer, i just haven't seen anything special from Mayo outside of his "better shooting." DeRozan is better at slashing, getting to the line, better post game, and probably better work ethic. If mayo truly wanted to be good and he put in the work he could be an all star.

Comment

Working...
                                X