Steve Nash: 'I was very close' to joining Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    ...Winning while making the most money possible cures absolutely everything from a player perspective - and that is not related just to the Lakers or Raptors either.
    Amen to that.

Comment

Deron Williams was an example this year about going for the money I believe (the Nets could pay him the most). I forget now whether he signed before or after they signed J Jackson. He passed on Dallas and I am sure some others. I saw Boston/Brooklyn game last night and the Celtics killed them. btw the Celts are going with only 1 PG (Rondo) on the roster! Iam sure others like Terry can but still?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

If the Raptors acquire top talent and build championship contending and winning teams, I have a feeling (read: I have an opinion) that they have some really good talent and keeping them will not be an issue. Winning solves a lot of these issues - and that is not related just to the Lakers (remember, Kobe did want out) or Raptors. Winning while making the most money possible cures absolutely everything from a player perspective - and that is not related just to the Lakers or Raptors either.
        I think this is true as a generality. But we should question how do these players make the most money possible? Aside from their contract itself, there are endorsement deals, and tax savings.

While good players will get endorsement deals no matter where they play, I remember reading an article showing that market had a huge impact on the quantity/quality of those endorsements (eg. same player could make more in endorsement deals playing in NY vs Orlando)

The last time I remember nike or gatorade etc. commercial with a Raptor in it was Vince. Now ofcourse there haven't exactly been a number of those top quality players here, but even Bosh didn't get the attention guys like Josh Smith and even Chauncey Billups got with those big name companies.

We also shouldn't eliminate ego from the equation, although it is ofcourse alot more difficult to define.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          I think this is true as a generality. But we should question how do these players make the most money possible? Aside from their contract itself, there are endorsement deals, and tax savings.

While good players will get endorsement deals no matter where they play, I remember reading an article showing that market had a huge impact on the quantity/quality of those endorsements (eg. same player could make more in endorsement deals playing in NY vs Orlando)

The last time I remember nike or gatorade etc. commercial with a Raptor in it was Vince. Now ofcourse there haven't exactly been a number of those top quality players here, but even Bosh didn't get the attention guys like Josh Smith and even Chauncey Billups got with those big name companies.

We also shouldn't eliminate ego from the equation, although it is ofcourse alot more difficult to define.
          Bosh did have his own sneaker line and apparel with Nike. Oh yeah, and Juicy Fruit lol

As for Smith and Billups - Billups won championships, had deep playoff runs. Smith was young and exciting. Bosh did not have success on the court and was hardly exciting.

I think another factor is fan appeal and style of game. I am not sure how to quantify that.

Outside of the biggest superstars, the bulk of players money will come from their pay cheque.

There are always exceptions though: is Durant struggling from lack of exposure in OKC? I don't think so. Would he be even more hyped nationally in NY or LA? Absolutely - look at a 20 point Raptor win over NY and the highlights on ESPN show 3 Knick plays and 0 for the winning team. However, would the cost to get to that market be worth the $25M hit in salary to Durant it would take to get there via free agency? I don't know but I would think not.

Comment

To be honest, I'm glad we didn't land Nash. Yeah he's great, but we'd get maybe a couple of seasons out of him and we would've way overpaid him for those services. I have no complaints with Lowry - in fact, what he brings is more what we need and provides another solid pillar for the future. Bryco landing Lowry almost makes me forget Turk/Jermaine O'Neal.....almost.

Comment

I think everyone agrees that Lowry is clearly the better option when thinking long-term. But if we're short-sighted, I'm sure the Raptors ceiling for the 2012-13 season would be much higher with Nash as our starting PG.

Comment

Nobody expected what’s happened — especially Steve,” said Kerr, a TNT analyst. “He really thought he was stepping into a situation where he could win a title. He told me before he signed there, when Toronto had made the big offer, with more money and all that stuff, and he said he didn’t want to just ride out his career as a circus act. He wanted to put himself out there, to put himself on the line.
                http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...es_lakers.html

I guess we were never really "close" to acquiring Nash after all....

Comment

I must have been the only who was happy we didn't land him... hes good but he isn't the type of player Raps need we needed Lowry. Nash isn't soft but his defense is and he's right being here would have turned it all into a circus act.

Comment

I have to admit that I was intrigued at the thought of Nash running this team. Aside from Chris Paul, he's really the only PG in this league who can make ANY teammate look better.

Having said that, it really was a short-sighted, unsustainable plan.

Comment

Sadly he didn't realize that the Lakers would be one the NBA circus acts this season.

Comment

Also Nash started the season with a bum knee which got injured 6 games in? I just wish BC held back on him when he noticed Nash was beating around the bush looking for teams to take him over joining us...

BC has clearly never heard of "Never make someone your priority when you are only an option" lol Nash played him hard and BC pulled the trigger over paying Fields o man what a farce!

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
                          Sadly he didn't realize that the Lakers would be one the NBA circus acts this season.
                          ZING. Yessir.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

lakers have a chance to make a run at 8th next week. atl, noh, and raptors. tough game will be okc.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                              Nash is no idiot. This is all PR.

I have no problem with him taking his best shot at a title, but what does bother me is the fact that the Lakers can still outspend everyone else in the league despite the CBA. Might as well admit the fact that the NBA is more like European football than the NFL, and abandon the so-called salary cap.
                              Definitely, he knew what he was doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X