The Food Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Food Thread

Surprised one of these hasn't popped up around these parts.

Here you will find a place to post any good restaurants you've been too, any recipes you feel kind enough to share; something weird you saw on a menu? Favourite Dish? Or perhaps just feel like gloating about an amazing meal your mom made. Let us All know about it.

And I shall start us off ...

Been on a cooking binge lately. Girlfriends mom just taught me how to make Perogies (very Polish), so I made perogies two nights ago. So amazing.

Then last night made homemade Chicken Nuggets with Parmesan Breading.

Tonight? Homemade Sloppy Joes on Fresh Cheese Buns. Mmmmmmmm

Great recipe for polish style perogies on Allrecipes.com. Actually a great site for those that need recipes. You can sort by rating and pretty much anything that is 4.5 or 5 stars is a winner.

Plus you can look up recipes based on ingredients you have on hand.

Comment

Nice thread, Joe.

I'm somewhat of a chicken wing fanatic, the hotter the better for me! Can people post their fave wing joints here please!
      I/m dying to try Buffalo Wild Wings again, can't seem to make it down there though these days. There's probably a lot better small restaurant types anyways...

Comment

Don Cherry's Bar & Grill makes some awesome wings with their house sauce.

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Surprised one of these hasn't popped up around these parts.

Here you will find a place to post any good restaurants you've been too, any recipes you feel kind enough to share; something weird you saw on a menu? Favourite Dish? Or perhaps just feel like gloating about an amazing meal your mom made. Let us All know about it.

And I shall start us off ...

Been on a cooking binge lately. Girlfriends mom just taught me how to make Perogies (very Polish), so I made perogies two nights ago. So amazing.

Then last night made homemade Chicken Nuggets with Parmesan Breading.

Tonight? Homemade Sloppy Joes on Fresh Cheese Buns. Mmmmmmmm
        I was on cooking duty tonight but we are running low on groceries and won't be going again until the tomorrow. I rounded up two cans of tuna from the cupboard, a bottle of basil pesto, a bag of rice based fusilli pasta, and some baby peppers, frush mushrooms and mozzarella from the fridge. I sauteed the finely dices peppers and mushrooms, and once they were about 80% cooked I tossed in the drained canned tuna, the bottle of pesto, along with a handful of mozzarella. I mashed the tuna a little with a wooden spoon. While that was going on I was boiling the pasta and warming the oven. When it was all cooked I drained the pasta and mixed it with my tuna concoction. I then put it in a casserole dish, sprinkled a layer of mozzarella on top and threw it in the oven on broil for three to five minutes (however long it took to melt the cheese). It turned out being amazing. You can call it "Apollo's tuna casserole" if you want but I'm sure somebody else thought of it before me.

Good idea for a thread by the way.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          Great recipe for polish style perogies on Allrecipes.com.
          I'm a BIG fan of Perogies. Her mom makes these ones that have Pork, Spice & Onion in them.
          They're like little tiny Meat Pies. Mmmmm.

Puffer wrote: View Post
          Plus you can look up recipes based on ingredients you have on hand.
          That's brilliant actually! I've used AllRecipes.com before, but I didn't realize they had this feature.
          This thread is paying off already! Haha

Mack North wrote: View Post
          I'm somewhat of a chicken wing fanatic, the hotter the better for me! Can people post their fave wing joints here please!
          I/m dying to try Buffalo Wild Wings again, can't seem to make it down there though these days. There's probably a lot better small restaurant types anyways...
          On College street, between Bathurst and Ossington is "Duff's Famous Wings".
          The name doesn't lie, if this place isn't famous it damn well should be.
          You will likely find the 'Heat' that your mouth desires. Pretty sure they've got one called "Death".

Also I don't know if this is bad to say, as I'm not a 'Wing Fanatic', but I actually enjoy "St. Louis". The one up by me on Yonge, near Eglinton, has one of the best Patios in the city, I'd say.
          Last edited by Joey; Fri Oct 19, 2012, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I was on cooking duty tonight but we are running low on groceries and won't be going again until the tomorrow. I rounded up two cans of tuna from the cupboard, a bottle of basil pesto, a bag of rice based fusilli pasta, and some baby peppers, frush mushrooms and mozzarella from the fridge. I sauteed the finely dices peppers and mushrooms, and once they were about 80% cooked I tossed in the drained canned tuna, the bottle of pesto, along with a handful of mozzarella. I mashed the tuna a little with a wooden spoon. While that was going on I was boiling the pasta and warming the oven. When it was all cooked I drained the pasta and mixed it with my tuna concoction. I then put it in a casserole dish, sprinkled a layer of mozzarella on top and threw it in the oven on broil for three to five minutes (however long it took to melt the cheese). It turned out being amazing. You can call it "Apollo's tuna casserole" if you want but I'm sure somebody else thought of it before me.
            Mmmmm LOVE me some Tuna Caserole. And that one there sounds delicious. Only thing I would add, is on top of the Cheese I'd then put crushed up Corn Flakes. Adds a fantastic crunchiness.

Comment

On College street, between Bathurst and Ossington is "Duff's Famous Wings".
              The name doesn't lie, if this place isn't famous it damn well should be.
              You will likely find the 'Heat' that your mouth desires. Pretty sure they've got one called "Death".

Also I don't know if this is bad to say, as I'm not a 'Wing Fanatic', but I actually enjoy "St. Louis". The one up by me on Yonge, near Eglinton, has one of the best Patios in the city, I'd say.
              I actually was doing some research on wings in the city a few months back, and that place Duff's was held in pretty high regard. Haven't tried them yet, but plan to go when I move back to the city in January.

Speaking of St. Louis, they are very good. A little one just opened up by myself but I have yet to hit it. All-you-can-eat Tuesdays, but I'm not too keen on going in there by myself and pigging out. I'm getting my fix at BWW tomorrow anyways , then Sunday I'm going to make up some super spicy ones for the football games. I may miss the keeper draft

Thanks for the tip on Duffs though, refreshed my memory!

Anybody else really into avocado/guacamole these days? Man, I PUT $#!+ ON EVERYTHING! Try it on a nice steak sandwich on toasted ciabatta, with some roasted red peppers and corn. Num num!!

Comment

Anybody else really into avocado/guacamole these days? Man, I PUT $#!+ ON EVERYTHING! Try it on a nice steak sandwich on toasted ciabatta, with some roasted red peppers and corn. Num num!!
                Oo Nom Nom indeed! Sounds boombastic!
                I actually just made a fresh batch of Guac for Fajitas tonight! Guacamole is VERY popular in our place.

You make your own?
                My recipe changes everytime as I perfect it, but this is where I'm at:
                -2-3 Avocados
                -2-3 Cherry Tomatoes diced
                -Some finely chopped Onion as desired
                -Finely chopped Garlic
                -Salt and Pepper
                -Hot Sauce
                -Worchestershire Sauce

Comment

That sounds about right! I know some folks use sour cream in there as well, not me so much but I will eat it...Sometimes I'll buy this little mix they have in the Mexican section, I forget the name but it's just some powder to mix with the avocados...

I started making guac for my burritos actually, I was sick of paying like $14 at Fat Bastards/Mucho Burrito/Burrito Boys for a single, but I usually get 4 if I have say a 12 oz steak for even cheaper. Just add rice and beans to your fajita basically, Joey!

Comment

I may miss the keeper draft
                    Just saw this ... well ... You have your priorities, and I respect that ... I mean its not like there another 16 Sundays of Football and only one Sunday of Draft .. but ya thats cool Mack .. You do what you have to do :P LOL

As for Burritos, I've discovered this little place called Z-Teca. Very good Burritos. If you say you're a student you get em for like $6. They don't care if you're not actually .. just have to say you are. haha

Comment

Just saw this ... well ... You have your priorities, and I respect that ... I mean its not like there another 16 Sundays of Football and only one Sunday of Draft .. but ya thats cool Mack .. You do what you have to do :P LOL

As for Burritos, I've discovered this little place called Z-Teca. Very good Burritos. If you say you're a student you get em for like $6. They don't care if you're not actually .. just have to say you are. haha
                      Listen here, Joey... It goes Raptors 1A and Cowboys 1B+ for me, and there aren't another 16 Sundays left for my Cowboys! I only have another 11 (guaranteed) to get extremely pissed off and throw shit around! Haha It's not as bad as playing NCAA Football or Madden on the XBOX, and to a lesser extent 2K(i happen to be the best outta my friends in that one). I believe I'm on my 4th headset and 3rd controller in the last 2 years! Anger Management is what I need for video games! lol Goose Fraba! Hence the reason those are the olny games i play, no RPG for me...

I'm gonna take my laptop out on Sunday though, so I should be there for the first bit anyways. I have 4 keepers so only $80 to spend. Enough to take someone you're bidding for!

Comment

Nice thread, Joe.

Best wings in the city, without question... at least in my opinion.. is the Crown & Dragon... on Yonge St, just north of Davenport... beside the Masonic Temple, across the street from Canadian Tire.. nothing else comes close for me... http://www.crownanddragon.com/

If you want HOT though.... Duff's Armageddon wings.... one bite of armageddon, and i was pouring every ounce of blue cheese on the table in my mouth.... they're brutal

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                          Best wings in the city, without question... at least in my opinion.. is the Crown & Dragon... on Yonge St, just north of Davenport... beside the Masonic Temple, across the street from Canadian Tire.. nothing else comes close for me... http://www.crownanddragon.com/

If you want HOT though.... Duff's Armageddon wings.... one bite of armageddon, and i was pouring every ounce of blue cheese on the table in my mouth.... they're brutal
                          Nice, I'll have to check them out as well. I don't eat blue cheese though, maybe they'll have a jug of milk for me?!

Comment

Here's a dead easy one for you guys, if you want to impress your ladies. Throw 6-8 chicken thighs in a slow cooker. Add 1/2 cup of broth (concentrate or canned) 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1/4 soya sauce, teaspoon of ginger, teaspoon of cayenne, 2 tablespoons of lime juice (or lemon) and let it cook on slow for 6-8 hours. You could do the same thing in a regular post on simmer for 1.5 hours I guess. Make some rice with a teaspoon of curry powder, and use chicken stock instead of water with the rice. Spoon the chicken and juice form the pot over the rice when it is cooked. Thai peanut chicken thighs. Really nice.

Comment

Nice, I'll have to check them out as well. I don't eat blue cheese though, maybe they'll have a jug of milk for me?!
                              me neither, really... but it came with the celery and carrots... and in a moment of panic, i had to grab the closest thing that would kill the burn... even just a little bit

Comment

Working...
                              X