Bad starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad starts

4 games, 4 double-digit deficits before the end of the 1st quarter. I think it's time Jay consider giving Jose a spell with the starting unit again.

Yea I was thinking in the same way. While I am a huge fan of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" phenomena, I believe that IT is broke and we SHOULD fix it. The last four games, we got very lucky at the end of the games to come out with a victory. Clearly, you can notice when Calderon comes in for Jack, our team goes on a run, and we are really struggling in the first quarters.

Well, you would say "our starting line-up has more chemistry with Jack running it", I do not believe in that one little bit. If you guys were watching the games early in the season, you would know that both Calderon and especially Jack were struggling with their shot. I mean Jack in the beginning was HORRIBLE, to the point that I would rather want Banks to run the team. Now Calderon is shooting the ball much better, and Jack is both passing and shooting the ball much better.

My Solution: Jay should give Calderon another chance to get his job back. I really think Calderon is much better than Jack, and that they shouldn't even be compared with each other. As much Calderon runs the second unit beautifully, our team is really vulnerable when he is not in the court. We have very gettable home games coming up, and we can afford to do little bit of testing before this home stand ends. I really want Jay to settle this matter before the all-star break. I am not saying that Calderon in the starting unit will work, but I just want to see how it turns out....
    Take out the salami and cheese MAMA, this ball gameeeeee is OVERRRR!

Comment

Hey Rapman...I like your awesome name!!

It is easy to see when the players on the floor are about to give up a large lead. For all the strides that JT has made, making quick adjustments in the first half seems to be a problem.

You see good coaches take time outs early in the game...even with a small lead...when they see a bad trend.

Not sure Jose starting is the solution, but it's worth a quick sub if it happens again.
      http://www.raptorman.ca/
      raptorman@rogers.com
      Discounted Raptor Tickets
      *No Service Charges*

Comment

Calderon + 2nd Unit = Great production
        Calderon + 1st Unit = Superior production due to the chemistry with Chris Bosh

Is it me.... Calderon tends to give his assist to PF *cough* Chris Bosh and Amir Johnson*cough* more than other positions

Comment

As far as any point guard controversy goes I gotta ask this question to the fans. Name the last elite point guard to win a championship? The teams that win always have great wing men and one great big man but the places that you just need solid guys are pg and c. It's not the steve nash'
          s and jason kidd's that win titles it's the derek fisher's and ron harper's. So you can make up for not having a superstar point with a otherwise great starting five. This is why jack works with the starting five better then the second unit. Jose is an incredible luxury coming off the bench with the skills he brings to the floor and is capable of changing the game and making his teammates better.
          limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Do you really want to go back to the switching on everything days of old? Historically bad defense? Please no, man.

Comment

Prophet2k wrote: View Post
              Name the last elite point guard to win a championship? The teams that win always have great wing men and one great big man but the places that you just need solid guys are pg and c.
              They funny thing is that the Raptors does not have a great wing men, and great big man "defensively" (other than Chris Bosh but we can justified Bargnani)

Comment

Prophet2k wrote: View Post
                As far as any point guard controversy goes I gotta ask this question to the fans. Name the last elite point guard to win a championship? The teams that win always have great wing men and one great big man but the places that you just need solid guys are pg and c. It's not the steve nash'
                s and jason kidd's that win titles it's the derek fisher's and ron harper's. So you can make up for not having a superstar point with a otherwise great starting five. This is why jack works with the starting five better then the second unit. Jose is an incredible luxury coming off the bench with the skills he brings to the floor and is capable of changing the game and making his teammates better.
                I would put Tony Parker as more than a "solid pg" as well as Isiah Thomas (Elite, Top 50, Hall of Fame), Magic Johnson (HOF, Top 50 NBA), Bob Cousy (HOF, Top 50). All are elite point guards and all have won multiple championships. I hear what you're saying, but I think your argument is a bit weak. I know that we don't have all the pieces to win a championship, but the talk about having an elite point guard not being able to win a championship? That's just you stating your opinion and there are so many examples of elite point guards winning championships that put holes in your theory. It's all about getting a team of solid guys that put their own stats aside and play for one another in order to win. It isn't about how good one or two single players are, it's the team playing like a team in order to win games and eventually a championship.

Comment

Jose should be continuing to come off the bench for Jack - the Raps are on a tear and should not mess with Jose becoming the best point guard coming off the bench in the NBA - our second unit has amazing production with Jose running the point and Jack at the helm in the starting 5 adds toughness and grit that the starting unit desperately needs
                  -BALL
                  Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

huskies2raps wrote: View Post
                    Jose should be continuing to come off the bench for Jack - the Raps are on a tear and should not mess with Jose becoming the best point guard coming off the bench in the NBA - our second unit has amazing production with Jose running the point and Jack at the helm in the starting 5 adds toughness and grit that the starting unit desperately needs
                    -BALL
                    Okay.. Answer this question: Would be saying the same stuff if the Raptors lost those close games. I am a 100% sure that you would be complaining about the rotation, we lost all four last close games. Just because we got lucky, I mean lucky with those end game results, we shouldn't be seating all comfortable. We almost gave the game away in the last 6 games in the first quarter, and that is not something you want to keep doing...

Comment

Lack of Defense Is The Problem

In the last two games the Raptors gave up 34 points in each game in the first quarter.

In the loss in Milwaukee the Raptors gave up 32 points in the third quarter.

The problem of slow starts is in my opinion is due mostly to the lack of effort in the first quarter and third quarter by the starters on the defensive end.

Replacing Jack with Calderon in the starting unit will not in my opinion solve this problem.

The starters need to come out ready to play defense
                      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I am going to dig back and quote an old sage with a few words of wisdom. "If it ain't broke, don't break it".

The raps are playing thier best ball in perhaps franchise history, I don't understand some of you people who are obsessed with tinkering. We could be 42-0 and you'd find something you didn't like.

When Jose starts he is somewhat of a liability. He can't stop penetrating guards and his playmaking skills are somewhat nullified with the fact that Bosh creates his own offense and Turks game is tailored towards having the ball in his hands.

Jack is by no means significantly better offensively or defensively, but clearly the starting unit has meshed more cohesively with him in it.

Jose has not been good as a starter in almost two years. At one point do you accept the fact that the raptors are a much stronger team with him coming off the bench. Would you rather have a below average starting point guard constantly being abused by the likes of Rose, Rondo and Nelson? Or the best back up point guard in the L coming in and changing the tempo of the game all the while efficiently running a smooth offense with the 2nd unit that is devoid of playmakers(minus the erratic Marco).

Comment

haha but the biggest problem is that they are not being effective anymore. The starting unit with Jack running the point has been very vulnerable in the past several games, and the only reason we have won the last four is because Jose brought us back in the game. Why go down in the first place, and then make a comeback? I don't understand it...

Comment

Working...
                          X