No announcement yet.

Would you extend DeRozan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to others: I'm a huge Demar Derozan homer.

Like Matt, wait till the end of the season being we have the ability to match whatever offer whether he improves, or regresses. I'm really hoping we do re-sign him though, it's hard to find some talent like Demar, not to mention he still has so much room to grow.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

See how the first half of the season goes, then put him on the table at the trade deadline, to get a feel for his market value. In the offseason, offer him a fair, but value contract. If he signs, great. If he tests free agency and some team offers an insane contract, try to work out a sign-and-trade, to get something in return instead of losing him for nothing (bad asset management). I just get the feeling that regardless of whether or not he significantly improves this season, he will be looking for a big contact that will likely be for more money than he's worth. With Ross ready to step in, plus being able to get something of value in return via trade, it very well might make more sense to trade him. I certainly wouldn't extend him during the season, unless he's willing to sign for cheap.

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        Im sure Dero is thinking hes got to be worth more then Fields... soo.. i would not extend him even at those numbers & i sure as hell wouldnt give him any more then that.. i say let the market decide his value & if its in our best interest to keep him around then so be it. if not then bye bye..& we still got Ross ;-)
        I know contracts set precedents but I think anyone who looks at the Fields contract would see that it was offered as part of a ploy and not at market value. At least I would hope so.

Comment

The other fear is that DeRozan works his ass off this year, gets a nice contract from Colangelo, and then goes back to his inefficient jumpshooting ways next year (and beyond).

Comment

Not sure if this was already discussed as an option but wouldnt it be better to sign him to an extension now, when he probably thinks that he's not worthy of a big contract yet since he hasnt proven anything? like maybe 6mil/year for 3years then if he doesnt live up to his "potential" then at least the contract is bearable or even tradeable? if you let him play the season and he busts his tail and then demands more money, you sign him and he regresses, wont that be a bigger problem?

Comment

simply, no. i think Ross will end up making a lot of people forget about Demar.

that said, if we were able to resign him for cheap and he took on a sixth man microwave scorer type role i wouldn't really be against that.

i think a wacky team will sign him for way more than he's worth.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

REASONS TO EXTEND
                - good potential
                - increased willingness to attack basket
                - shown ability to get to free throw line
                - young
                - if signed relatively cheaply, could be great value if potential is realized
                - demonstrates franchise loyalty to players (ie: to improve Toronto as destination team)
                - easier for Toronto to keep internal talent than find new talent elsewhere, especially free agency

REASONS NOT TO EXTEND
                - little improvement over first three years in league
                - pathetic outside shot
                - weak handles
                - weak finisher
                - terrible defender
                - inefficient one-dimensional volume scorer
                - weak peripherals (rebounds / assists)
                - likely looking for big payday after the season ($4.5M qualifying offer is likely only a starting point and salary will be above that)
                - replacement is already on roster (Ross); both would ideally be 6th-man scorers on a truly decent team
                - with replacement already on board, asset management best practices would advise to use DeRozan to fill another team need (ie: legit starting SF)

MY TAKE
                - it all comes down to 3 things: does he show significant improvement this season (handles, finishing at the rim and outside shooting), what salary does he expect to receive and what is his value on the trade market
                - ideally, I would trade him in a package to acquire a legit starting SF, move Fields to starting SG and let Ross be the backup SG/6th-man scorer (thus avoiding DeRozan's big payday and the risk associated with gambling on potential)
                Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  Not sure if this was already discussed as an option but wouldnt it be better to sign him to an extension now, when he probably thinks that he's not worthy of a big contract yet since he hasnt proven anything? like maybe 6mil/year for 3years then if he doesnt live up to his "potential" then at least the contract is bearable or even tradeable? if you let him play the season and he busts his tail and then demands more money, you sign him and he regresses, wont that be a bigger problem?
                  Bryan probably sold low... DeMar's agent probably sold high.. and they settled on "let's wait and see"... in theory it would be smart to resign him now to a cheaper contract, but DeMar and his agent would probably be better off waiting for possibly a bigger offer from the Raps or from another team.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    simply, no. i think Ross will end up making a lot of people forget about Demar.

that said, if we were able to resign him for cheap and he took on a sixth man microwave scorer type role i wouldn't really be against that.

i think a wacky team will sign him for way more than he's worth.
                    If i can recall correctly, we also said before that Demar will make us forget He Who Shall Not be Named (credit: Doug Smith)

What does microwave scorer mean?

Comment

If i can recall correctly, we also said before that Demar will make us forget He Who Shall Not be Named (credit: Doug Smith)

A dude who comes off the bench and drops like 20 points. See John Lucas or Barbosa

Comment

It was Vinnie Johnson's nickname because of how hot he was coming off the bench

Comment

Not because of how hot he was, but because of how he could come in cold and heat up almost instantly.

Comment

Chisholm weighs in

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/tim_chisholm/?id=408404

Comment

Pretty fair assessment, though I was a little surprised that Chisholm didn't mention the drafting of Ross in the piece, as further insurance/incentive for the Raptors to explore trade opportunities for DeRozan more aggressively.

It would be interesting to know what a package of Calderon ($10.6M expiring) & DeRozan ($3.3M expiring with QO) & Davis ($2.2M expiring with 1 team option, then QO) & 4 2nd round picks (2013, 2014, 2014-SAC, 2015) & $3M cash could return... they could bring back $20.25M in salary, per NBA trading rules (outgoing * 1.25 + $125,000).
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Oct 29, 2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                                Pretty fair assessment, though I was a little surprised that Chisholm didn't mention the drafting of Ross in the piece, as further insurance/incentive for the Raptors to explore trade opportunities for DeRozan more aggressively.

It would be interesting to know what a package of Calderon ($10.6M expiring) & DeRozan ($3.3M expiring with QO) & Davis ($2.2M expiring with 1 team option, then QO) & 4 2nd round picks (2013, 2014, 2014-SAC, 2015) & $3M cash could return... they could bring back $20.25M in salary, per NBA trading rules (outgoing * 1.25 + $125,000).
                                Also, Jose has a 5% trade kicker. Not sure whether that counts in the calculation of how much we could take back in salary, though. If it does, that would change it to $20.91M.

Comment

Working...
                                X