What a difference a year makes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference a year makes!

Soft Euro posted a link back to the poll asking RR members to predict wins for 2011-12. That thread had the opening night roster for 2011-12. Looking at that, it got me thinking: What a difference a year makes!

2011-12 opening night roster:

PG: Calderon, Bayless, Carter
    SG: DeRozan, Barbosa, Butler
    SF: J.Johnson, Forbes, Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Amir
    C: Gray, Magloire, Alabi

2012-13 opening night roster:

PG: Lowry, Calderon, Lucas
    SG: DeRozan, Ross, Anderson
    SF: Fields, Kleiza, McGuire
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Acy
    C: Valanciunas, Johnson, Gray

From the 2011-12 opening night roster we see 8 new faces. So in the interest of conversation (and hopefully not a mean-spirited one), who's name do you think (or hope!) is missing next year?

Calderon
    DeRozan
    Kleiza
    McGuire
    Acy

maybe Anderson, Fields

Comment

Butler was starting the opening night and many games after that. *shudder*

Gray was out iirc because of a fast heart rate (ok maybe a little later, I don't really remember last year much)

Kleiza under surgery

TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

So hard to predict what will happen.. I'd like to see Bargnani moved, and possibly DeMar if he doesn't improve in his intangibles. I am sure one of Davis/Johnson will be gone - my guess Davis.

Comment

Hopefully somebody can clear something up for me. Whenever we have a log jam at a position, people always say "this guy's gotta go! that guy's gotta go!", but I don't exactly see the reasoning. Is it not better to have multiple players at a position that can do the job well?

I guess the biggest arguments around here lately have been focused on the PF(Davis or Johnson "must be traded" and PG(Calderon "has to go" positions. But now we have a plethora of wings, and a true C(finally!) as well. What are those who say this looking for, other than a STAR wing? And do they actually think we can net one with the players we have on our roster? Or do we need more mediocre players/backups at another position?

I just don't get it sometimes, you need depth in order to be successful unless you have a LeBron or Kobe.

But getting back to the thread, I wouldn't be mad if DeRozan isn't here. I don't trust him and I think he's gonna be somewhat of a chucker in this contract year. Hopefully he changes my mind by becoming more of a complete player.

Comment

Not sure why, but ESPN doesn't have Gray on our depth chart...

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              Hopefully somebody can clear something up for me. Whenever we have a log jam at a position, people always say "this guy's gotta go! that guy's gotta go!", but I don't exactly see the reasoning. Is it not better to have multiple players at a position that can do the job well?
              Minutes, especially for the young ones Davis and Acy (either in their best interests or to showcase them)

(I'm not one of those people who are saying for anyone to go though)

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                Minutes, especially for the young ones Davis and Acy (either in their best interests or to showcase them)

(I'm not one of those people who are saying for anyone to go though)
                OK, but what do you expect back for someone of their caliber?

Comment

I don't know, don't ask me, I'm not making the trades up!

Comment

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                    I don't know, don't ask me, I'm not making the trades up!
                    haha, it's not just directed at you but i hear ya. Just trying to get a feel for why people say these things.

Comment

hopefully next year you can insert either Rudy Gay or Josh Smith

Comment

Better to take picks back for mediocre players. Some teams like to stockpile picks, so if you can get any, it puts you in a good trade position. And you never know when you might catch fire in a bottle. There's a couple of guys every year who tun out way better than their position. Picks are enticing because of that for some teams, and there are always GM's who don't value picks so highly, so some arbitrage is possible..

Comment

The way I see it is these players are basically what you're looking for when you take back picks. Second rounders are normally irrelevant, so having a player that's been around for a few years is better IMO. Especially in the case of Davis, I believe he can be a serviceable backup.

Comment

Working...
                          X