Who has the brightest future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the brightest future?

Which team would you say has the brightest future of the worst teams in the league last year?

I broke down the situation for each of these teams. For Salaries I assume that all exceptions will be picked up (which is not realistic, I know but it was easier to do it that way). For expiring contracts ETO = early termination; PO = player option; TO = team option. I didn't include QO's or team options on rookies.

Charlotte Bobcats:
    Young core: MKG, Walker, Biyombo, Henderson
    Veterans: Thomas, Gordon, Haywood, Diop, Carroll
    Expiring Contracts: Gordon ($12.4M - PO), Diop ($7.3M), Carroll ($3.5M), Williams ($2.6M)
    Salaries: 2012=$57.4M, 2013=$41M, 2014=$24.6M
    Amnesty: Yes (Thomas)
    Draft Picks:
    - 2013 1st: Portland's (lot prot), Detroit's (lot prot)
    - 2014 2nd round
    - Note: Their 2013 1st goes to Chicago but is lottery protected.

Washington Wizards:
    Young core: Wall, Beal, Vesely, Singleton, Seraphin, Crawford
    Veterans: Nene, Okafor, Ariza
    Expiring Contracts: Okafor ($13.4M - ETO), Ariza ($7.7M - PO), Webster ($1.75M)
    Salaries: 2012=$57M, 2013=$59M, 2014=$24M
    Amnesty: No
    Draft Picks:
    - 2013 1st: Their's
    - 2013 2nd: Their's, NY's
    - 2014 1st: Their's
    - 2014 2nd: Their's

Cleveland Cavaliers:
    Young core: Irving, Thompson, Gee, Waiters, Zeller, Casspi
    Veterans: Varejao, Miles
    Expiring Contracts: Walton ($6M)
    Salaries: 2012=$48M, 2013=$31M, 2014=$32.5M
    Draft Picks:
    - 2013 1st: Their's, Miami's (lot prot), Sacramento's (lot prot), LAL's (lot prot)
    - 2013 2nd: Their's, Orlando's
    - 2014 2nd: Memphis', Orlando's

New Orlean Hornets:
    Young core: Davis, Rivers, Gordon, Anderson, Aminu
    Veterans: Lopez, Warrick, Vasquez
    Expiring Contracts: n/a
    Salaries: 2012=$63.9M, 2013=$53.49M, 2014=$36.77M
    Amnesty: Yes (n/a)
    Draft Picks:

Sacramento Kings:
    Young core: Cousins, Evans, TRob, Fredette, Thornton, Thompson, Thomas, Johnson
    Veterans: Salmons, Hayes, Outlaw, Garcia, Brooks
    Expiring Contracts: Garcia ($6.1M - TO), Brooks ($3.25M - PO)
    Salaries: 2012=$57.9M, 2013=$52.4M, 2014=$37.3M
    Amensty: Yes (Salmons)
    Draft Picks:

Brooklyn Nets:
    Young core: Teletovis, Brooks, Taylor
    Veterans: Williams, Johnson, Lopez, Hump, Wallace, Evans, Blatche, Childress, Stackhouse
    Expiring Contracts: n/a
    Salaries: 2012=$81.8M, 2013=$84.7M, 2014=$76M
    Draft Picks:
    - 2014 1nd: Their's

Golden State Warriors:
    Young core: Curry, Barnes, Rush, Thompson, Ezeli,
    Veterans: Bogut, Lee, Jack, Biedrins, Landry, Richardson
    Expiring Contracts: Jefferson ($10M - PO), Biedrins ($9M - ETO), Jack ($5.4M), Landry ($4M - PO), Rush ($4M - PO)
    Salaries: 2012=$71M, 2013=$64.7M, 2014=$23M
    Draft Picks:
    - Note: 2013 1st is lottery protected to Utah

Toronto Raptors:
    Young core: DeRozan, Davis, Ross, JV, Acy, Fields
    Veterans: Bargnani, Lowry, Johnson, Calderon, Kleiza, Lucas
    Expiring Contracts: Calderon ($10.5M), Kleiza ($4.6M - PO), Gray ($2.5M - PO), Lucas ($1.5M - TO)
    Salaries: 2012=$61M, 2013=$49.8M, 2014=$32M
    Amnesty: Yes (Bargnani, Johnson, Kleiza)
    Draft Picks:
    - 2013 2nd: Theirs, Sacramento's
    - Note: 2013/2014 1st is non-lottery protected to OKC.
    Charlotte Bobcats
    0.00%
    Washington Wizards
    2.78%
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    25.00%
    New Orlean Hornets
    13.89%
    Sacramento Kings
    2.78%
    Brooklyn Nets
    5.56%
    Golden State Warriors
    8.33%
    Toronto Raptors
    41.67%
    Last edited by planetmars; Tue Oct 30, 2012, 06:47 PM. Reason: Modified Toronto Raptors draft picks

I voted Toronto.

You've got Toronto's draft picks wrong.

2013 - 2nd rounder
    2014 - 2nd rounder + Sacramento's 2nd rounder
    2015 - 2nd rounder
    2016 - none (2nd rounder to Memphis)
    2017 - 2nd rounder
    2018 - 2nd rounder

We have no idea what 1st round picks Toronto will have, aside from the fact that one year between 2013-2018 they will give their 1st round pick to OKC, via Houston.

Also, I think Bargnani (27), Lowry (26/27), Johnson (25) and possibly Kleiza (27/28) should all be part of their "Young Core". Acy probably shouldn't be, as he'll be lucky to be a backup in the NBA.

--

I also read today on ESPN that New Orleans declined Aminu's option, to maximize cap space next offseason, meaning he will be UFA after the season.

Comment

I voted cleveland. I like their young core a lot, especially Irving. And they have tons of draft picks to play with

Comment

i went with the wiz
        No Dissrespect...
        With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          I voted cleveland. I like their young core a lot, especially Irving. And they have tons of draft picks to play with
          The thing with Cleveland that doesn't have my buying in, is that they really haven't done a great job drafting, in my opinion. I think the Thompson and Waiters picks were terrible. And although they have 3 or 4 1st round picks next draft, the Miami/LAL picks could very well be #29 & #30, which are essentially 2nd round picks, but with guaranteed money attached to them. I don't think they're really that well off, especially since Cleveland has never been a free agent destination city, for a lot longer than Toronto's even been in existence!

Comment

Agreed! Cavs are young but besides Irving i'm not convinced those picks are gonna be good.

No one voted for NO but me? Franchise player and their next two 1st round picks.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              I voted Toronto.

You've got Toronto's draft picks wrong.

2013 - 2nd rounder
              2014 - 2nd rounder + Sacramento's 2nd rounder
              2015 - 2nd rounder
              2016 - none (2nd rounder to Memphis)
              2017 - 2nd rounder
              2018 - 2nd rounder

We have no idea what 1st round picks Toronto will have, aside from the fact that one year between 2013-2018 they will give their 1st round pick to OKC, via Houston.

Also, I think Bargnani (27), Lowry (26/27), Johnson (25) and possibly Kleiza (27/28) should all be part of their "Young Core". Acy probably shouldn't be, as he'll be lucky to be a backup in the NBA.

--

I also read today on ESPN that New Orleans declined Aminu's option, to maximize cap space next offseason, meaning he will be UFA after the season.
              I only chose 2013 and 2014 for draft picks.. but yes you are right about the 2014 pick. I made that change. Thanks!

Comment

my vote is Toronto... you can also include detroit in the list w/ a young core of Knight, Monroe, Drummond

Comment

Most people are going to say Raptors especially in the "Everything Raptors" section... should be in the NBA section
                  TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

I voted Sacto. Hear me out:

DeMarcus Cousins could be a top 5 player in this league if he'd just fix his shitty shot selection and turnovers, and Robinson looks like a legit starter from day 1. If Evans can settle into his SG role (and also fix his shitty shot selection and and turnovers), they'll be good. Really good. In fact, they remind me a lot of Seattle/OKC when they were losing a ton of games because Durant and Westbrook were shooting inefficiently and turning the ball over a ton. I really believe with the right coach and some commitment and maturity from their young stars they could be in the conference finals 2-3 years from now.

Comment

Have to say New Orleans, Toronto, and Cleveland. Not just one team. All teams on the list have ifs.

Overall:

New Orleans - Have two very solid rookies with tremendous upside. Although, the gift in the package really is Anthony Davis. Who like Derrick Rose, LeBron James, Blake Griffin (not in terms of as good), is far beyond as a rookie than anyone else in this years' rookie class. (Jonas Valanciunas a possible near second.) Around him is Rivers, Vazquez, Gordon. Good young players with good potential. Front-court outside of Anthony Davis looks weak though.

Cleveland - A Starting lineup of Irving/Waiters/Gee/Thompson/Zeller looks really intriguing. ALTHOUGH, I think it would've looked a lot better if it were Irving/Gee/Barnes/Sullinger/Valanciunas (Just a thought!).
                      Irving, the rookie of the year, is on par to be much better, and has all the tools to be a great point guard in the future. Not to mention if Thompson, Zeller, and Waiters pan out. These 3 can be very solid starters for years to come.

Toronto - Young core, not to mention like Cleveland and New Orleans, we have THAT guy who has the potential to be a great player in their position. Young man, Jonas Valanciunas - unlike the stereotype of the soft, European - is extremely physical, a very fundamentally sound post game (raw, but solid), good defender, and a hard worker. Lowry, Derozan, Ross, Davis, Fields adds into the fold of young core and future positional guys. Potential is really intriguing, hopefully this team can continue working hard in that defensive identity, and continue to improve offensively.
                      Team reminds me a bit of the Pacers.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

New Orleans looks like they will have the easiest rise to prominence. They have Anthony Davis to build around, but also a legit scoring guard (Eric Gordon) and a young point (Austin Rivers - who I'm not a fan of, but still could be legit according to many people). They also have a good young coach and good cap flexibility. they also have the advantage of not being in Canada, so will have a better chance of free agents. I know New Orleans hasn't been a hot bed for signings, but the city is reviving and if the Hornets/Saints can put winning products out there, I think the city will be more appealing because of the unique vibe and culture.
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Without being too nit picky, when we talk future is this a couple years out or a 5 year horizon?

Assuming a couple years out (simply due to the salary and picks going to 2014)

1. Brooklyn - I know people don't want this team to succeed, but they have some seriously talented players there. Lopez could be a top 3 C if he tries to rebound again, Deron is still one of the best PGs in the league (despite last years lack of effort), Johnson and Wallace are additional threats, Humphries is underrated as a useful role player and some additional scoring punch off the bench (Brooks).

2. Golden State - all comes down to health. Namely with Bogut and Curry staying on the floor. Lee is a quality player. Rush, Jack and Landry are injury insurance. Thompson and Barnes could change everything. I don't know how this team hasn't got a vote yet! (so I'll give it one out of respect)

3. Cleveland - they have seemed to reach for their picks so far, but Irving is becoming a superstar. Varejo is a player that constantly goes unnoticed and yet should be considered a superstar defender. Thompson and Zeller will both be useful NBA players. Waiters vaults them or drops them. No idea which. Down side - I have little faith in their ownership/management.

4. Toronto - discussed 2 thousand times

5. Sacramento - Would be ranked higher if they ever added that needed veteran leadership presences. Its the only thing holding them back right now with all that amazing talent on the team. Cousins, Evans, Thomas with Thornton off the bench is a potent team. They need some role players to fill in the gaps though. They always give me that 'Clippers pre- Griffin/Paul feel', where they are constantly trying to add cheap 'high ceiling' players, and never adding those useful role players.

6. Washington - I thought they went and made their team temporarily better but with such a low ceiling it was a waste of time. They really need Beal to become a superstar for this to change. Part of me feels like I'm even being generous with this ranking of 6. How Grunfeld not only kept his job, but got an extension I'll never understand

7. New Orleans - Anthony Davis. Eric Gordan if he can ever stay remotely healthy.

8. Charlotte - still a long way to go. Right now the only player on that team I'm high on is Biyombo (and if he even gets a chance - because its tough get a fair shot if you don't score).

Comment

1. GS - health. If they stay healthy....... a big IF.

2. Toronto - homerism at its finest.

3. Cleveland - Irving is an All-Star. I think what could have been with them if they took JV and Barnes vs. Thompson and Waiters. Lots of picks and cap space moving forward. Scott is also a good coach.

4. 5. New Orleans - Gordon can't stay healthy. Rivers is looking similar and he is not a PG. I'd put them lower but The Brow is real. Their coach is also tremendous.

5. Sacramento - a lot of potential. With some maturity, look out. Their immediate future is going to depend on what happens with Tyreke Evans.

6. Washington - I think Wall is a tremendous athlete but not a great PG. They are going to need Beal to be huge.

7. Charlotte - poor Charlotte. I have nothing more to say.

8. Brooklyn - we are talking future right? Their future is now. I don't see much flexibility with the roster moving forward due to new CBA and their most important players are already in or past their prime.

Comment

I picked Cleveland, Irving is a stud, he is going to be a top 5 pg in a year or two. People seem to be down on Tristan Thompson because he went higher than expected, but he is a great complimentary player for Irving, he can rebound, block shots, catch lobs, run the floor, and has an improving offensive game. Waiters is a BIG ?,(good opening night though) but they have some other nice pieces to work with. Verejao could fetch a great young player or draft pick, 23 rebounds opening night...he may be a keeper. Zeller will be a solid pro and a be a nice fit beside Thompson as they both get more seasoned. If they can get a legit 3 (sound familiar) they will be ready to push a lot of teams for a playoff spot.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X