Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seriously , what were your expectations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the short term I was looking at 8th/9th seed which is a serious improvement, and is what I'm still looking for. However the DeMar deal handcuffs the future of this franchise. Paying $9M+ to a mediocre player is not the right way to build a club. There were guys just last year like Afflalo, Thornton and Young that got paid much less, who are all arguably better than DeMar.

I still don't understand why the "wait and see" approach couldn't work for Bryan. Guys like Jennings and Evans were not given extensions yet, and those guys are also arguably better than DeMar.

Not the right thread I guess for my rant.. but my expectations were to have long term flexibility to help get more talent to get us over the top (ie, perennial playoff contenders), but now I have to hope and pray that DeMar becomes a stud because as of right now he hasn't proven it to me anyway and we don't have as much flexibility as we did before.

The sad thing is that Lowry will need to be resigned to an extension and I'm not sure how he would feel coming back to the core we currently have otherwise we may have to offer him a max contract which would be ridiculous.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      ...The sad thing is that Lowry will need to be resigned to an extension and I'm not sure how he would feel coming back to the core we currently have otherwise we may have to offer him a max contract which would be ridiculous.
      I wonder how many max contract players there are in the league? Seems like a lot to me. And a lot of them not "deserved." Maybe max contracts aren't ridiculous, just a cost of doing business in a players league?

Comment

My expectations are that we make the playoffs. One of this teams biggest strengths is the bench, so I look for them to win more games in the second half of the season when injuries and the grind of the season start to take their affects on other teams. We should be able to maintain a solid level of play even if we sustain injuries to some of our key players because of our bench.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
          I wonder how many max contract players there are in the league? Seems like a lot to me. And a lot of them not "deserved." Maybe max contracts aren't ridiculous, just a cost of doing business in a players league?
          No one forces any GM to pay any contract aside from the league forcing a team to meet a salary floor.

Sports teams, in general, and ofcourse basketball in particular, spend alot of time overpaying for players. As such its easy to try and justify player X because of what player Y is making. But that doesn't mean player X is actually worth the money they get or are offered.

There are alot of 'max contracts' out in the league, and very few of them are deserved. This isn't like buying a nick nack to put up on your shelf, or collecting sports cards because you are a collector, and if you want the one and only Joe Shmoo mint condition rookie card you have to pay the highest price. These players are commodities who offer a service. That service has a level of production that is replacable.

As much as I like Lowry, even considering paying him a max deal is more than a bit ludicrous. Yes someone like Joe Johnson may be getting a max, and Lowry may be as good or better than him, but unless Lowry's production is close to or better than what you could otherwise spend those dollars on, you aren't helping the team win more games.

So are max contracts the cost of doing business? No. They are a cost GMs/Owners individually decide to take on.

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
            serious? I love this team like everyone on here but we are the worst team in the atlantic. I hear ddoug smith on prime time talking about the raps love rudy gay, hopefully something happens there or we are completely screwed.
            I'm sure a lot of teams love Rudy Gay

Comment

I expect 7th or 8th seed. The Pacers game certainly doesn't lower my expectations, losing to the 5th best team in the league, one that gels well and has played together for a while...not a big dissapointment.

Comment

I think the ideal situation would be to barely miss the 8th spot and finish 9th overall in the conference. The Raptors then end the season with the knowledge that we can make the playoffs if we push harder, along with some internal development. The Thunder (formerly Rockets) pick is dealt with as well, giving us the opportunity to deal a draft pick again if necessary.

Comment

I don't think anyone should have any expectations as far as win totals go. That's just a bit too short-sighted.

The only thing that really matters this year is development. Whether the team squeaks into the playoffs or not, it's far more important that JV learns and adjusts, that Bargs shows he can defend, that DeRozan does more than occasionally put the ball in the basket, that Fields can fix his shot, etc. Since most of the team's players are locked up long-term at this point, I just want to see them live up to their contracts. Whether that happens immediately or half-way through the season doesn't matter, as long as the consistency and chemistry is there at the end of the season so that it can carry over into next year, when things will really start to matter.

Comment

Superchunk wrote: View Post
                    I expect 7th or 8th seed. The Pacers game certainly doesn't lower my expectations, losing to the 5th best team in the league, one that gels well and has played together for a while...not a big dissapointment.
                    on the contrary we shoot 36% et they shot 47% and we lost by 2 they are suppose to be a contender so as far as i am concerned i just prove we are as goo as we say we are and look like a playoff team(fields was dissapointing tho)

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                      I don't think anyone should have any expectations as far as win totals go. That's just a bit too short-sighted.

The only thing that really matters this year is development. Whether the team squeaks into the playoffs or not, it's far more important that JV learns and adjusts, that Bargs shows he can defend, that DeRozan does more than occasionally put the ball in the basket, that Fields can fix his shot, etc. Since most of the team's players are locked up long-term at this point, I just want to see them live up to their contracts. Whether that happens immediately or half-way through the season doesn't matter, as long as the consistency and chemistry is there at the end of the season so that it can carry over into next year, when things will really start to matter.
                      +1

Comment

Im expecteing a low seed in the playoffs...who gives a shit what Barkley says. He may have been agreta player, but who has he coached or managed?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                          No one forces any GM to pay any contract aside from the league forcing a team to meet a salary floor.

Sports teams, in general, and ofcourse basketball in particular, spend alot of time overpaying for players. As such its easy to try and justify player X because of what player Y is making. But that doesn't mean player X is actually worth the money they get or are offered.

There are alot of 'max contracts' out in the league, and very few of them are deserved. This isn't like buying a nick nack to put up on your shelf, or collecting sports cards because you are a collector, and if you want the one and only Joe Shmoo mint condition rookie card you have to pay the highest price. These players are commodities who offer a service. That service has a level of production that is replacable.

As much as I like Lowry, even considering paying him a max deal is more than a bit ludicrous. Yes someone like Joe Johnson may be getting a max, and Lowry may be as good or better than him, but unless Lowry's production is close to or better than what you could otherwise spend those dollars on, you aren't helping the team win more games.

So are max contracts the cost of doing business? No. They are a cost GMs/Owners individually decide to take on.
                          hopefully we can resign lowry, not a max player, don't like rapto fans who think he's the greatest thing ever
                          "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

I don't Like the fans that are convinced he is leaving at first opportunity.

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                              love your optimism but we will finish last. brooklyn has no d but we have no offense
                              You're saying we have no offense after 1 game? D wins you more games than O trust me on that.

Comment

My expectations? I wasn't expecting Colangelo to drop 40 Mil on Demar DeRozan.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X