Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vince Carter would like to have his Raptors jersey retired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post
    No, I do not think we should retire his jersey. I used to love the guy too, I even still rooted for him in Jersey. But he had a terrible reputation with "leadership" and "effort" even long before he left, never won any major awards, and never even took us to the conference finals. Hang that jersey and it sets a terrible precedent for "success" in Toronto. The Raptors haven't even hit there first truly proud era, yet. It will happen.

Hopefully JV can retire with a retired jersey or heaven forbid even an NBA title (2021-22 Champs?)
    Bingo. He just hasn't accomplished anything worthy of hanging from the rafters. That distinction is for hall-of-fame calibre players. Vince isn't in that tier. He'll forever be remembered as a player who failed to live up to expectations.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Bingo. He just hasn't accomplished anything worthy of hanging from the rafters. That distinction is for hall-of-fame calibre players. Vince isn't in that tier. He'll forever be remembered as a player who failed to live up to expectations.
      i have to dissagree...hate VC all u want..i cant say i like him much either but..he did as much for the Raptors as Sundin did for the Leafs & Mats jersey is hanging from our rafters & he will soon be in the HHOF..VC was a great player for us..his attitude wasnt good in the end but id have to say in hindsight it was half VC's attitude & half Babcocks stupidity

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        i have to dissagree...hate VC all u want..i cant say i like him much either but..he did as much for the Raptors as Sundin did for the Leafs & Mats jersey is hanging from our rafters & he will soon be in the HHOF..VC was a great player for us..his attitude wasnt good in the end but id have to say in hindsight it was half VC's attitude & half Babcocks stupidity
        Sundin played 13 seasons in Toronto and was the heart & soul (and captain) for basically his whole time here. And this is coming from a Habs fan :|

We can't say the same about Carter. I would say most of Carter's success is directly attributed to Oakley and Willis riding him.

Not hating on the guy. Just saying that IMO, no Raptor player (past or present) is deserving of having his number retired.
        Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I would like Carter to choke on deez nuts but I don't see that happening anytime either. If they decide to raise his jersey to the rafters I'm buying a ticket just so I can go and boo my head off.

Comment

Absolutely retire his Jersey. Best player to ever wear it.

As far as "HATE" goes, I can't bring myself to hate someone I don't know. It takes to much effort and emotion to hate someone. Its business and people should get over it. Vince was vintage last night though (minus the beard).
            Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

Put it this way, if you compared Carter's accomplishments to any of the Celtics or Lakers retired jerseys (Russell, Bird, McHale, Worthy, West, etc.), would Carter come anywhere close? Of course not. That's the level of brilliance we should be expecting for a player to have his number retired in Toronto. If not, we're simply playing into the little brother complex by essentially saying, "he's not hall of fame worthy, but Carter's good enough for Toronto".

Comment

So here are the career numbers for Vince and Andre. Vince on top and Andre underneath. I'm not saying Andre's numbers are great, just that I don't see anything in Vince's numbers that make me want to retire his jersey. Similar rebounds, better assists and steals, but worse turnovers, and an extra 6 points a game.

RB AST ST TO PTS
                5.1 3.9 1.2 2.16 21.4
                4.9 1.3 0.4 1.7 15.4

Comment

whats funny with those numbers it shows how a "injury prone & lazy" SG named VC can grab more rebounds per then a 7footer drafted first overall LOL

hate him or love him he did put Raptors on the map.. & is still the most dynamic player weve had..he helped us to our only playoff wins & was ROTY & Dunk Champ in our jersey...i dont think we should retire his number or anything but i do think honoring his jersey much like Mats Sundin is Fitting..after all Mats never won shit in T.O either..& left on a sour note too albeit not as bad as VC departure..personally i think Bosh's exit was WAY worse...at least we had the opportunity to trade VC..it was Babcock who fucked all that up for us..

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                    I would like Carter to choke on deez nuts but I don't see that happening anytime either. If they decide to raise his jersey to the rafters I'm buying a ticket just so I can go and boo my head off.
                    Wow. Move on.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

whats funny with those numbers it shows how a "injury prone & lazy" SG named VC can grab more rebounds per then a 7footer drafted first overall LOL

hate him or love him he did put Raptors on the map.. & is still the most dynamic player weve had..he helped us to our only playoff wins & was ROTY & Dunk Champ in our jersey...i dont think we should retire his number or anything but i do think honoring his jersey much like Mats Sundin is Fitting..after all Mats never won shit in T.O either..& left on a sour note too albeit not as bad as VC departure..personally i think Bosh's exit was WAY worse...at least we had the opportunity to trade VC..it was Babcock who fucked all that up for us..
                      This
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

I don't think there is anything left that Vince (et all) can say that will change anyone's minds anymore. It's so far in the past that people who haven't forgiven him by now never will.

Truthfully I think his jersey should be retired, but for obvious reasons it never will because that ceremony would just be one ugly mess of idiots booing the greatest Toronto Raptor of all time. Can you imagine how embarrassing that would be for the city of Toronto if that were televised nationally?
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

Like most said, retiring his jersey tell everyone what greatness means in toronto. Winning a dunk contest, getting to the second round of the playoffs.

Comment

Fuchan wrote: View Post
                            Like most said, retiring his jersey tell everyone what greatness means in toronto. Winning a dunk contest, getting to the second round of the playoffs.
                            dont forget the Rookie of the year & all-star selections.. i agree with most that VC screwed up big time..but the fact is Babcock made a fantastic mess of things in his time here & he's to blame too..we still havent made it back to respectability all these years later.. he royaly fucked us with the VC deal..

Comment

dont forget the Rookie of the year & all-star selections.. i agree with most that VC screwed up big time..but the fact is Babcock made a fantastic mess of things in his time here & he's to blame too..we still havent made it back to respectability all these years later.. he royaly fucked us with the VC deal..
                              I agree, it turned into a big shit show. I just don't think he did enough to merit a retired jersey. If he stayed, who knows...

Comment

Hell no. Fuck carter. We don't retire a jersey till we win a damn championship, i feel like slapping anyone who suggests we retire his jersey.

Comment

Working...
                                X