Brian Colangelo's legacy in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

akashsingh wrote: View Post
    hibbert wouldn't have helped things at the time (prevented bosh from leaving) he had very little impact his first couple of years in the league
    and so therefore there was no chance Hibbert would have been selected?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Yeah, I'm pretty sure we picked Hibbert on Pacers' behalf.
      The Raptors traded the draft rights to the 17th pick. Which basically meant they were selecting for Indiana and then the trade would happen after the draft took place (as Toronto was forced to make a 1st round selection due to NBA rules).

My point though was it really doesn't matter that Toronto selected for Indiana. Had Toronto not traded the pick they'd still have had the option of drafting Hibbert, and thereby still traded the option of drafting Hibbert. Given Toronto's desire for a C at the time, the idea of drafting Hibbert isn't exactly a long shot. While Toronto may not have drafted him, they may have aswell. No one can say one way or the other as it never took place. (and anyone who says Hibbert wasn't talked about, we can just point to Ross, Ed and Val... none of which were in any serious discussion of being drafted until the draft took place)

One can either look at it as Toronto traded the option of selecting Hibbert, or traded the 17th pick (which was Hibbert himself). In the end its 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        The Raptors traded the draft rights to the 17th pick. Which basically meant they were selecting for Indiana and then the trade would happen after the draft took place (as Toronto was forced to make a 1st round selection due to NBA rules).

My point though was it really doesn't matter that Toronto selected for Indiana. Had Toronto not traded the pick they'd still have had the option of drafting Hibbert, and thereby still traded the option of drafting Hibbert. Given Toronto's desire for a C at the time, the idea of drafting Hibbert isn't exactly a long shot. While Toronto may not have drafted him, they may have aswell. No one can say one way or the other as it never took place. (and anyone who says Hibbert wasn't talked about, we can just point to Ross, Ed and Val... none of which were in any serious discussion of being drafted until the draft took place)

One can either look at it as Toronto traded the option of selecting Hibbert, or traded the 17th pick (which was Hibbert himself). In the end its 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.
        I don't disagree. Now matter how we look at it, Colangelo traded a 1st round pick for a player who was gone before the end of the year.

Comment

If If's and But's were Candy and Nuts we'd all be.. something something.

Comment

I don't disagree. Now matter how we look at it, Colangelo traded a 1st round pick for a player who was gone before the end of the year.
            just to add some salt to the wound:

1)1st round pick for O'neal

2)O'neal for a Marion Rental

3)S&T Marion for Hedo

1st round pick for the rights to pay Hedo 10 mil a year

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
              just to add some salt to the wound:

1)1st round pick for O'neal

2)O'neal for a Marion Rental

3)S&T Marion for Hedo

1st round pick for the rights to pay Hedo 10 mil a year
              And further to that, Hedo traded for Barbosa.

Barbosa traded for a 2nd round pick.

So we essentially used the 17th pick in 2008 to pick Quincy Acy in 2012 :|

SWEEEEEEET!!!

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                I can't find an article confirming, but I seem to remember that Aldridge came out and said he wasn't interested in coming to Toronto, so drafting a 7 foot sharp-shooter with better athleticism than Dirk was the only choice to make. Even if LA hadn't made those comments, drafting Bargnani was the right pick at the time. Hindsight with drafting is too easy. Technically speaking, I'd argue that the player to draft from that class should have been Rajon Rondo, but I would have been laughed at if I had tried to argue him for the top pick back then.

You could also add Rudy Gay and Kyle Lowry to that discussion (and Brandon Roy if you don't count injuries). Either way, the Raps picked at the top of one of the weakest drafts ever. Can't knock them for taking one of the 5 (or 6 if you count Roy) best players in that draft. That is still a heck of a lot better than a lot of top picks. I'm sure there were people back then who wanted Adam Morrison taking #1, so at least BC got that one right.

Don't forget 2006 was that very same year Stern decided to stop High Schoolers (or kids 18 years of age) from jumping into the NBA. We would have likely picked, Greg Oden (who went to Ohio St.) or... *gulp* Kevin Durant... (who went to Texas A&M).
                #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

ab7 wrote: View Post
                  we had chris bosh as our pf why draft aldrige ???the only prob is thinking bargs was a center
                  Bosh is now a center the league is smaller the game has changed. Shaq said there are only 5 guys who play with their back to the basket any more. Lopez Bynum and a few others - he even said Dwight is power forward... its all about high screen and role.

Furthermore RULE#1 of draft - take the best player available (not by position).
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

SWEEEEEEET!!!
                    No, no, no. Quincy Acy AND one amazingly awesome Pizza Pizza commercial!
                    That one is ours forever and nobody can take it away!

Comment

SWEEEEEEET!!!
                      1) draft Charlie V with 1st round pick
                      2) trade Charlie V for Ford
                      3) trade Ford and 1st round pick for o'Neal
                      4) trade O'Neal and 1st round pick for Marion
                      5) trade Marion for Turkoglu
                      6) trade Turkoglu for Barbosa
                      7) trade Barbosa for 2nd round pick
                      8) use Indiana's #56 pick to draft Thomas Zubcic

So basically we traded 3 1st round picks for Thomas Zubcic

And I support BC why? I need a drink...

Comment

Just to play Devil's advocate, but at least BC isn't Rob Babcock. Bargs isn't great, but he's not Rafael f***ing Araujo.
                        Biggest Raptors fan from the Land Down Under

@alexhaggispinch

Toronto Raptors
                        Sydney Swans, Melbourne Storm
                        Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Stars, LA Angels of Anaheim

Comment

alexaussie wrote: View Post
                          Just to play Devil's advocate, but at least BC isn't Rob Babcock. Bargs isn't great, but he's not Rafael f***ing Araujo.
                          again they made the fatal mistake of drafting by position. Hoffa was projected to be a fringe lottery pick but because they needed a center they passed on IGGY.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                            No, no, no. Quincy Acy AND one amazingly awesome Pizza Pizza commercial!
                            That one is ours forever and nobody can take it away!
                            lol true

Comment

Colangelo's biggest mistake in my opinion were:

1. Drafting Bargnani 1st overall in 2006. Nothing against European players. But drafting a Euro 1st overall is a huge risk. The guy that i was hoping they would take 1st overall was Rudy Gay. I'm still not sure how he fell to the Rockets at 8th because i watch alot of NCAA basketball, Rudy Gay was one of the most talented players in college basketball that time. And the Raptors that time had Bosh and Villanueva, so drafting another PF doesn't make sense.

2. Losing Bosh for nothing. Blame also goes to Bosh because i think he, LeBron and Wade planned to build a super team in Miami years before their contract expired.

3. Signing Landry Fields. Colangelo said after the season ended last year that he's going to upgrade the SF position. Landry Fields in my opinion is barely an upgrade over James Johnson. Heck, you can make an argument that Johnson had a better year last year than Fields.

As for the JO trade and the Turk signing. I thought it was a good move it just didn't work out. It happens. Turk had a great year for Orlando the previous year, can't really blame BC for overpaying. As for JO, not really sure what happened he just didn't work out here. And who knew Roy Hibbert would be this good. Hibbert was a stiff in college. I didn't know he's going to be this good.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Jermaine O'Neal missed 38, 31, 13 and 40 games respectively in the four seasons leading up to Colangelo trading for him, and his points per game went from 24.3 to 13.6 during that time. Even people with a passing interest in the NBA could see that his body was letting him down and his game was drastically declining. It was a terrible move.

Comment

Working...
                                X