Why not start Amir?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not start Amir?

It's hard to deny that both Amir Johnson and Ed Davis have been generally responsible on both sides of the floor. I love Jonas but I think we need to use him Amir Ed and bargs more strategically.

What do you think?

I was open to starting JV at the beginning simply because he was already playing in Europe with men. However, with the interior D being so bad, I think that Amir should take a crack at it (don't think it's going to happen though - Aaron Gray more likely). JV gets pushed around a bit and his foul rate is still pretty high. However, this is my only point to get JV back to the bench - Bargs as a defender gets exposed quite a bit. I almost prefer Gray as he is simply a big body down low that opponents have to get through. I love JV but I think this baptismal by fire experiment may end shortly if we continue to lose.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Amir should not start. A) he cant really guard 5s well B) hes not a great rebounder C) JV is our center of the future .. he needs to learn to bang with the best big men out there and D) JV gets in enough foul trouble that Amir will get sufficient minutes in any event.

To me, starting Amir is akin to those asking for more minutes for AA - sure, the guy has given us some OK minutes, but if this team is gonna turn the corner, its not going to be on the back of AA - it is going to be because T Ross develops into something. By the same token, its not gonna be because Amir is an oustanding starting center, its gonna be because JV develops into an oustanding starting center.

Amir is a great hustle / garbage guy. Hes very good off the bench as he fits in well with most all players. Lets keep it like that and not rush to snap judgements .. we are a bad team right now, like it or lump it .. so lets develop our young, talented players and see where it goes.

Comment

I'd rather see Amir start over AB.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          +1

Comment

Jonas can stay AB should be on the bench

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              well said, i thought this is where the thread was going when i clicked it
              No Dissrespect...
              With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.. You hear me BC?

Comment

Bargs is the obvious choice here...with Lowry, Derozan, Amir, JV and Fields we're freakishly athletic and fast. Then Bargs can come off the bench as the 6th man.

Comment

It's such a shame that there is this strong public perception that it's a big difference between players that start the game and those that come off the bench...

I'm pretty sure, if there was no pressure on Casey and the organization because of this perception, Casey would try radically different lineups with that given freedom. Right now he/the franchise just can not afford to let, say, Bargnani or a DeRozan come off the bench. And this is tragic. It leaves coaches and franchise GMs very little flexibility. Either start certain players or trade them.

Of course GMs should be responsible for their moves and admit they made mistakes when it becomes obvious and just make a bold move to correct/improve the situation (trade, change rotations, release players) or they should make it clear that the coach has the absolute freedom to decide on who gets to start, play certain amount of minutes based on team needs and not based on made management or marketing decisions.

If that were the case, I think Bargnani would either have been traded by now or he would come off the bench and be the Manu Ginobili for the Raptors. We would likely see lineups that are more balanced between offense and defense. In some games we would likely see JV, Amir, Kleiza, Ross and Kyle start for the Raptors. In other games it might be JV, Amir, Anderson, DeRozan and Kyle or still something different based on matchup.

Comment

I agree that starting is not necessarily synonymous with playing time. All I'm saying is that Ed and Amir should be worked in to play equal time to JV and AB.

In no way is this a sign of my lack of confidence in JV. He is one of my favourite raptors and I'm really excited we drafted him. I just think because we lack star power we really are a role players team. Ed and Amir have shown great strides on offence so if these 4 guys are used strategically we have a great big rotation (minus the size)

All of these guys are fairly young and who knows what their ceilings are. It's just obvious that a few tweaks to the rotations are necessary in order for this team to flourish

Comment

Afro_Daddy wrote: View Post
                      well said, i thought this is where the thread was going when i clicked it
                      Yeah same for me but at the same time I knew it as not possible

Comment

Working...
                      X