TERRIBLE coaching/game management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TERRIBLE coaching/game management

This lost is on Casey. Raps didn't lose this game because of their defence or offence or even *gulp* the play of Bargnani(he was actually pretty good tonight). Casey's substitution/rotation is just terrible. I don't really know what he's doing.

I mean, Raptors had a pretty good 1st quarter. Then in the 2nd he put together a lineup of: Amir, Davis, Kleiza, Ross and Lucas. Who the fuck would score? why would you put a bunch of non scorers on the floor at the same time?

Casey's rotation this year is garbage. Bargnani or DeRozan or Lowry(when he's healthy) has got to be on the floor all time.
    Mamba Mentality

Yeah, he handled it pretty badly tonight I think. Hopefully he figures it out when he gets Lowry back.

Comment

What gets me the most angry about this game is that Casey was ignoring Kleiza (arguably the 3rd best offensive player on the team) until AA went down. Even when he was on the floor after that he got o shots. I can't believe McGuire (0-2) got more shots than Kleiza. I don't even know what the hell to say about Lucas. He was off the whole fucking game but he was allowed to shoot (1-7). Casey is doing an utterly terrible jobs handling the O.

Comment

Casey in interviews I've noticed only has good things to say about his players. He never disrespects them in public. His players may like him for this... but they may take it for granted. Maybe Casey's got to start bashing his players in the media. Maybe that will get this team fired up. Maybe he needs to hold them accountable for their actions and call them out. I don't know. These players have got to keep "pounding the rock".

Comment

i was at the game and have no idea why there was no V for the majority of the game. Was it the small philly line up? Someone fill me in

Comment

I posted this back in mid september:

[Larry] Brown did have a reputation of being a coach who didn't want to play young guys - but can we say that Casey is unequivantley different? He already stated this past offseason he wanted veterans, Colangelo said two young bigs was enough for him, and guys like Ed and Alabi didn't exactly rack up minutes last year (even while the team was well out of a playoff opportunity and minutes were freely available due to injuries). Bayless was only a starter during Jose's injuries. Butler was starting over James Johnson for quite some time, and even after that Alan Anderson was. Raps were around middle of the pack age wise, but their weighted age (ie. minutes played) moved them into 11th oldest in the league (ie. they played older not younger). The years before in Dallas he worked with a very old veteran team. Not saying Casey won't play young guys (he is in some ways obligated to regardless because of the build of this team) but I can say nothing over the past year has convinced me that Casey will be prone towards 'developing' youth (yes I dislike that buzzphrase but I can't think of a better word off hand).
            all that said he still can only work with what he has.

Fans blamed Mitchell - then got excited about Triano, untill the team went down the toilet. Then got excited about Casey, who played and approached the game similar to Mitchell no less, and now are blaming him. Perhaps its time to look at the players and the guy whose assembing these teams.

This team, without Lowry, is the same as last year and the same as the year before. Both those Raptor teams would have lost this game to.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
              i was at the game and have no idea why there was no V for the majority of the game. Was it the small philly line up? Someone fill me in
              Philly had an amazingly small line up - (Thad) Young at C and Wright at PF.

0 post game by the Raptors despite that.

Comment

So if teams play small against us we're going to play small as well?

Valanciunas i thought was playing well enough to make the 76ers pay for going small. 8pts 8rbs in 20mins. And i thought JV's energy and rebounding in the 3rd was key when we made our run in the 3rd.

Coaching tonight was just a mess.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

This game was lost by a bad 2nd qtr, coach didn't adjust and they could never catch up again, much like the Dallas game, bad subs by Casey cost the game.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    So if teams play small against us we're going to play small as well?

Valanciunas i thought was playing well enough to make the 76ers pay for going small. 8pts 8rbs in 20mins. And i thought JV's energy and rebounding in the 3rd was key when we made our run in the 3rd.

Coaching tonight was just a mess.
                    They absolutely don't. In fact I think that teams that have the most success force the opposition to match up against them.

I was just pointing out that despite the obvious height advantage this team had, there was still no post play. I absolutely agree that Jonas should have been out there. Even if only for more experience. But there was still no reason the players Casey had on the floor couldn't have and shouldn't have dominated the paint.

Comment

I have no idea whatsoever why he insists on putting 5 backups on the floor together every single game.
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I have no idea whatsoever why he insists on putting 5 backups on the floor together every single game.
                        That's no different from our normal starting lineup minus Lowry
                        TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          And his insistence to go 10-11 man deep every game. Does he really think that this team is that deep?
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Casey feels he has more weapons compared to last season. Last season, he did a great job managing the rotations, but quite frankly, we had 8-9 guys capable of making any type of contribution to the team.

He may be over-valuing the 'depth' of this team. In my opinion (seems to be Casey's as well), the Raptors have a very good/deep bench, but starters are starters for a reason. To start the game. To be the major contributors. To be the game finishers. A good majority of the games this season have been lost due to bad rotation management. You can ask everything from a player, but some are capable of doing all.

I don't know why it seems impossible (including Lowry & Fields IF/When in the lineup) to have a rotation of;

Calderon, Derozan, Kleiza, Amir, Ed. Or Lowry, Ross, Anderson, Bargnani, Ed. Or even Lowry, Ross, Fields, Amir, Valanciunas. Multiple rotations are at his disposal, and I think he is going with some very basic situationals of starters are starters, and bench is bench.

I agree with what one of the posters said above. ONE of either Andrea, Derozan, or Lowry MUST be on the floor at ALL times.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                              This lost is on Casey. Raps didn't lose this game because of their defence or offence or even *gulp* the play of Bargnani(he was actually pretty good tonight). Casey's substitution/rotation is just terrible. I don't really know what he's doing.

I mean, Raptors had a pretty good 1st quarter. Then in the 2nd he put together a lineup of: Amir, Davis, Kleiza, Ross and Lucas. Who the fuck would score? why would you put a bunch of non scorers on the floor at the same time?

Casey's rotation this year is garbage. Bargnani or DeRozan or Lowry(when he's healthy) has got to be on the floor all time.
                              Yeah, that confused me also. I was soooo excited. We were up by 10 and I was like, "Wow, raps are on tonight" Then the garbage buys all went on the floor and the lead started vanishing and he didn't take them off the floor?" What the heck was that about?

Comment

Working...
                              X