Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    M Williams, this year:

- 1st game, vs Dallas/Marion: 29 minutes, 7/13, 5/5 FTs, 21 pts, 3 RBs, 1 STL, 1 BLK
    - In 24 minutes vs LAL/Metta WP (massive compared to Ross), 4/7, 3/3FTs, 11 pts, 4 RBs, 2 Stls
    - Last game vs Phx/Beasley, 5/10, 13 pts, 7 RBs

All of those guys with much more experience, and MUCH more size and strength than TRoss. Put TRoss out there against Williams and Corbin will have Williams posting up every play and he'll likely be 1st or 2nd option all night.

Look, Ross isn't built like a LeBron. He's very slight right now and the coach has to pick his spots where he throws Ross to the wolves. Kobe,,,,,, KOBE for heaven's sake, played in 2 games (14,17) over 8 minutes in his first 10, and by the end of the year, only averaged 15 minutes. Was his progress hampered by bringing him along one step at a time?
    Sorry p00ka, you'll need more than a few hand-selected boxscores to convince me that Williams is a threat on the floor (you ignored the 4 other games this year where he completely stunk). Is he bigger and stronger that Ross? Of course he is.

Can DeRozan check Williams while Ross checks Hayward? Sure, why not?

Nobody is suggesting that not playing Ross is somehow ruining his career. I'm simply saying that there's no reason NOT to play him, especially when the alternative is a 15th man in McGuire.

If the Lakers were a lottery team in 1996-97, then yes, they would've been stupid not to play Kobe.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Sorry p00ka, you'll need more than a few hand-selected boxscores to convince me that Williams is a threat on the floor (you ignored the 4 other games this year where he completely stunk). Is he bigger and stronger that Ross? Of course he is.

Can DeRozan check Williams while Ross checks Hayward? Sure, why not?

Nobody is suggesting that not playing Ross is somehow ruining his career. I'm simply saying that there's no reason NOT to play him, especially when the alternative is a 15th man in McGuire.

If the Lakers were a lottery team in 1996-97, then yes, they would've been stupid not to play Kobe.
      The selected games were not meant as any kind of proof that Williams is a beast, but to point out that with his size, strength, and experience, he's more than capable of holding his own against guys with much more size, strength, and experience than Ross at this point. Williams could eat him up right now, no matter what Ross will become in the future.

As far "no reason NOT to play him", there's a thing called confidence, that can be a fragile thing even for vets in pro sports, never mind a rookie looking as tentative as Ross has looked so far. He'll get there, man. The minutes will come, but not now, not in a situation like that. The reason is the coach likely feels the need to put him in situations where he at least has a chance to succeed, not throw him out there against a guy that could destroy him, with precious little chance to succeed at this point.

Comment

I can't wait for the play where Valanciunas is trying to block out Jefferson and Milsap at the same time while Bargnani star gazes and Jefferson gets the rebound and scores. Then we'll hear, "tough night for the rookie out there".

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          I don't see age being such a big factor as is playing against boys vs men, particularly when a rookie has such little meat on him. My point is that not every rookie is a LeBron or a Dwight, and some need to be brought along slowly. The Raps feel they're in a position to bring Ross along slowly, and from what I've seen to date, it seems like a wise choice, and I fail to see any sense in getting up in arms over his playing time, 6 games into the season.
          No question he's slight but those 3 years are a huge difference in experience and maturity. While I do agree with your point about bring them along slowly I don't see a difference in Ross and Demar when he was a rookie (accept Ross isn't as raw as Demar was). Not up in arms just believe he should be logging more minutes.

Comment

Not sure if this has been said, but apparently McGuire will be starting in place of Fields, and not Kleiza ... Could be a good decision actually. Need someone out there who won't be taking shots away from the guys who should be taking them (and if they DO, they won't bobble them, or shoot only when they have it).

Comment

Will be a tough game for everybody I guess. I hope Kleiza does his usual damage to the Jazz, but I don't know if he's gonna be ok mentally. Heard rumors his girlfriend had a miscarriage or something, I mean they lost their baby and that's why he was missing games and he hasn't been very focused in general so far this season as they were aware of pregnancy complications for a while before it got out of hand... man if that's true, it's tough. I mean this is only basketball at the end of the day...

Comment

McGuire seriously shoots it the first time he gets it?? Bad sign.

Comment

Jonas has GREAT hands .. can't believe he caught that.

ADD: Leo pointing that out now.

Comment

Lol did Matt devlin just say Demar was the only starter not to take a shart?

Comment

Shhh ... Nobody say anything ... about the score... and how well certain players are playing.

Just enjoy it.

Comment

What is this? There's a number next to the raptors that's higher than the number next to the jazz?

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                          What is this? There's a number next to the raptors that's higher than the number next to the jazz?
                          Shhhhhh ... don't jinx it.

Comment

Derozan has some really nice handles. Like, out of nowhere.
                            Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                              Derozan has some really nice handles. Like, out of nowhere.
                              Ya he's shown to have much more control with the ball this year. Still needs more, but ya, he's put in the work for sure.

ADD: Don't want to say that Drew League actually helped him with something .. but ... maybe?

Comment

nothing good ever happens when john lucas steps on the floor

Comment

Working...
                                X