WoW: Ben Wallace better than Michael Jeffrey Jordan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW: Ben Wallace better than Michael Jeffrey Jordan

In a recent post, the nutty-as-a-fruitcake wages of wins crowd says their pet statistic shows that, amongst other things, Ben Wallace produced more regular season wins than Jordan. Wallace produced 132 wins to Jordan's 123. The list also has Dennis Rodman above Jordan, with 147. John Stockton is at the top of the list with 210.

I can believe Rodman, who was an unprecedented super-genius at rebounding and defense, and could dominate a basketball game without scoring, might be on the list. But higher than Jordan? Obviously my eyes were failing me when Jordan was scoring despite being defended by all 5 opposing players.

Wp48 obviously substantially rewards players who never attempt shots, because if they did attempt shots, they would miss.

I really have no respect for these guys. Using a subtitle to their website saying "Taking aim at the lies and damned lies in sports with stories written by the numbers," while posting the dumbest statements with the utmost righteousness.

In this post the writer says "Al Harrington earns every bit of my disdain with his terrible play, which is still going." He deserves your disdain? What the hell are you talking about? I bet they smell their own farts a lot.

Comment

I can't find the link but when Ben Wallace left Detroit in free agency, some guy ran the numbers and basically concluded that there was no difference in team statistics other than opponents shooting more free throws. That was it. Every other number, including rebounding, was basically the same.

Comment

Brandon wrote: View Post
        In a recent post, the nutty-as-a-fruitcake wages of wins crowd says their pet statistic shows that, amongst other things, Ben Wallace produced more regular season wins than Jordan. Wallace produced 132 wins to Jordan's 123. The list also has Dennis Rodman above Jordan, with 147. John Stockton is at the top of the list with 210.

I can believe Rodman, who was an unprecedented super-genius at rebounding and defense, and could dominate a basketball game without scoring, might be on the list. But higher than Jordan? Obviously my eyes were failing me when Jordan was scoring despite being defended by all 5 opposing players.

Wp48 obviously substantially rewards players who never attempt shots, because if they did attempt shots, they would miss.
        You need to remember these numbers are cumulative, so games played/length of career matter. The WP guys even point out how Jordan's retirement(s) influenced those results.

And WP doesn't reward players who don't shot. Rather it punishes players who waste/lose possessions. Now one can definetely make a fair argument about someone always needing to shoot the ball (taking a shot, even a missed one, is more valuable than waiting out the 24 second shot clock because atleast it gave your team the opportunity to score) so the punishment may be unwarranted. At the same time a player who knows his role, knows he's not a good shooter, and therefore only takes the shots he knows he should, and thereby leaves shots to the better offensive player could also be seen an asset.

(and no I'm not supporting WP in this - I'm just pointing out some of the mitigating factors to those ratings)

Comment

Working...
        X