Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Dwane Casey still the right coach for the Toronto Raptors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Dwane Casey still the right coach for the Toronto Raptors?

Why should the Raptors relieve Casey of his duties and why they won’t.

The Toronto Raptors have taken a step back this year. They have a 3-10 record and they are down in all statistical categories compared to last year. Is Dwane Casey to blame for how the team has performed so far? What should the Raptors President and GM, Bryan Colangelo do?

The 2012-2013 NBA season started with so much promise. During the preseason the Toronto Raptors went 6-1 and expectations were high due to the signing of Lowry and Fields. Valanciounas was finally here and he had also shown promise early on. Dwane Casey had a full training camp this year with a goal to install an up-tempo offence centered on Kyle Lowry.

All the fan optimism that was there before the season started has now evaporated. The reality of what team the Raptors really are is evident in their current record. The winning percentage the Raptors have compiled the first 10-15 games of the season has hold true for the remainder of each campaign the past 4 seasons. If the current winning percentage (.231) holds for the rest of the season they will finish with 19 wins. Obviously this will be disastrous since they were hoping to make the playoffs this year. I believe that their winning percentage will improve to what it was last season (.348) which will result to 29 wins and 53 loses. That is a lot of losing basketball to watch for an entire season.

Sometimes there is reason for optimism where a team can turn their season around but this usually happens with veteran teams that have been together for at least two seasons and not with a team that has one of the youngest rosters in the NBA.

Who is to blame for the current state of the Raptors? If we look at the roster this year it’s pretty much the same as last year. Lowry’s experience is negated by Valanciounas’ inexperience. Fields has not been effective due to injury and Bargnani’s slow start may have resulted to current record but I refuse to believe that these are the reason behind the team’s current record.

I blame the Coach for the current state of the team. Here are 5 reasons why the Raptors have performed so poorly in Casey’s second year with the team:

1. He has not established a bench rotation and stuck with it. Sure, nobody has stood out so far but the fact that the Raptors do not have set rotations has hurt the team’s chemistry.
    2. He has not established an offensive identity. Even though Lowry has been hurt for most of the season Casey has Calderon who is arguably playing the best basketball of his career.
    3. The defense which was Casey’s trademark last season has not been consisted this year. We can blame the rookie in the starting lineup, we can blame Bargnani’s slow start but I choose to blame Casey. He has not been able to get his team to play as hard in defense as they did last year. Is his constant shouting wearing them thin?
    4. He has relied too much on a three guard rotation at the end of close games. Bargnani and Valanciounas have not been rebounding machines. This team needs size in the court and not any combination of Lowry-Calderon-Lucas.
    5. And finally team growth. Team growth comes from being a better situational coach and making good decisions during games to help your team win. Casey has been out-coached on at least 7 games out of the first 13 played so far.

Should the Raptors replace him now and throw in the proverbial towel for the season? If Colangelo does this and it does not affect the team’s record in a positive way then his job will definitely be on the line at the end of the season. My suggestion to this conundrum is to fire the current coach and replace him with someone who has a proven record of improving a team. The list is short with coaches that can perform miracles and are available: Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, Nate McMillan and Stan Van Gundy.

My personal favorite in this list is McMillan. He was able to perform well in Portland with a similar roaster and ongoing injuries.

Yes

Comment

wait for the team to be at full health, and then decide in my opinion.

But yes, we should be critical of Casey.
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        wait for the team to be at full health, and then decide in my opinion.

But yes, we should be critical of Casey.
        What? We're missing Landry Fields and Alan Anderson...it could be ALOT worse in that regard.

I never got the fuss for Casey in the first place. I guess everyone loved him in Dallas, but he seems like a player's coach. Bargnani's back to being allowed to sleep walk around the ACC while DeRozan and JV pour there hearts out. Sometimes a player needs a kick in the ass, or a benching, or both.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I see Casey getting the point after criticism. He started playing Val more, once he sees something working he usually adapts. I think he will grow just as this team grows.

Changing coaches frequently causes more harm than good... Casey is not a hard head, he will get it right, eventually.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
            I see Casey getting the point after criticism. He started playing Val more, once he sees something working he usually adapts. I think he will grow just as this team grows.

Changing coaches frequently causes more harm than good... Casey is not a hard head, he will get it right, eventually.
            Well we're all patiently waiting for him to get it right then, take your time coach.

Comment

He's not fulfilling his all duties at this moment, most crucial ones, if this continues I'll say no. But it's beginning of the season so I shouldn't overreact.

Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

I wish he could admit to some of his mistakes for us. It would make us feel better about his potential to grow with the teams strengths.

Comment

The coach is playing his veterans... that's what coaches do.

It's a square peg/round hole scenario here. Trade Bargnani/Calderon/Kleiza for more defensive/gritty players that give a damn and Casey will be far more successful.

Comment

planetmars:

#tradeBargnani #freeRaptorfans

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      The coach is playing his veterans... that's what coaches do.

It's a square peg/round hole scenario here. Trade Bargnani/Calderon/Kleiza for more defensive/gritty players that give a damn and Casey will be far more successful.
                      I would never lump Calderon in with Bargs. Calderon's problem is lack of mobility on D, not lack of effort.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        I would never lump Calderon in with Bargs. Calderon's problem is lack of mobility on D, not lack of effort.
                        If Jose stays on the team, Casey will want to continue to play him with Lowry at the end of the game. Jose is a good player but doesn't fit. He needs to go.

Comment

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                            planetmars:

#tradeBargnani #freeRaptorfans
                            LOL.. if I had a twitter account, I would join the movement.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              If Jose stays on the team, Casey will want to continue to play him with Lowry at the end of the game. Jose is a good player but doesn't fit. He needs to go.
                              I agree. He's a PERFECT backup PG, even on a really good team, but it's like Casey fell in love with him after his hot streak with Lowry out and now he wants a rotating PG set to finish the game. Hopefully that changes when Fields gets back, weird as that sounds I think I'd rather have him in there to keep the offense "normal"

Comment

Working...
                              X