Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
    laugh all you want.

There is a reason houston gave him big money. If Asik develops decent offense he is a top center.

Val is playing like a 19 year old at this point even though he is much older than that. There is no finesse in his game and his skillset is quitel limited. I would be very happy with that ceiling. He is no Anthony Davis.
    Val is 20, Asik is 26. If you think after another 6 years of experience JV won't be playing like Asik is now, that's laughable.

Comment

• timdunkit wrote: View Post
      I agree offensively. I think teams let us score because they know they can get stops or our offense will stagnate.

In terms of scouting, I mean for defensive purposes. It just goes back to the Spurs game where we started Val on Duncan and then switch Bargnani over. I'm not sure why we don't do that more often, keep JVal on the weaker offensive player so he can be the help defender.
      With Val, part of it is the weird position the team is in right now trying both to win and develop JV. I think they want JV guarding guys like Duncan, Hibbert, Howard et al. because they want him to gain that experience. And the reality is that he has mostly held his own even though he's had a few bad stretches.

Honestly, it's less a scouting issue than it is the personnel. You can scout and plan for pick and roll defense all you want but if your guys can't execute the scheme, it doesn't mean a thing.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        With Val, part of it is the weird position the team is in right now trying both to win and develop JV. I think they want JV guarding guys like Duncan, Hibbert, Howard et al. because they want him to gain that experience. And the reality is that he has mostly held his own even though he's had a few bad stretches.

Honestly, it's less a scouting issue than it is the personnel. You can scout and plan for pick and roll defense all you want but if your guys can't execute the scheme, it doesn't mean a thing.
        right, execution of PnR in Raptors is turrible
        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• I'm not writing off Val.

Just keeping the expectations on this kid low.

P.S. Asik is very good. Val could be a less athletic DeAndre Jordan.
          Last edited by draftedraptor; Thu Nov 29, 2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X