Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Ross be better than DeMar in a couple of years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Ross be better than DeMar in a couple of years?

Everyone on this board knows how big of a DeMar fan i am. But watching Ross play i think he has a chance to be really really good.

I mean, the guy is crazy athletic. He can shoot the ball, great 3pt shooter too. His ball skills is not bad for a rookie 2 guard. Obviously he needs to get bigger and stronger and improve his ball skills if he wants to be a great player.

I think it would depends on how much he wants it. It would depend on his work ethic. DeMar's work ethic from what i heard/read is crazy. Hardest working player on the team, first guy in the gym last one out, just a total gym rat. And he wants to be a great player.

If Ross can match that, i think he has a chance.
    Mamba Mentality

he needs to understand the game better,

He has all the tools, but he doesn't have the intuition for the right play.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Sure he can.

But he can also finds himself in europe in a few years and end up like Sonny Weems who was also more athletic and a better shooter then Demar.

Too early to say.

Comment

He can, and I think he will. The difference is even if he never averages as many points, he is a much better all around player. As in he actually shoot outside 17 feet, he can defend well, as well as good handling in the paint. I'd take a sound, smooth 17 ppg 6 rpg Ross over a flailing kamikaze 19 ppg 4 rpg DeRozan anyday.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

the only knock I can think of against ross is his bad shot selection and decision making, which should improve with experience (but it might not) I think we need to see the changes ross makes to his game over a longer period of time before we label him anything else than a chucker, which imo appears to be his comfort zone.

but for sure he can be better than derozan, he's a very gifted athlete, and his footwork is at a level derozan will never be able to replicate.

Comment

if he can get stronger and go through what derozan has to improve his finishing and taking people off the dribble he can be a really good player. his game is much smoother and he wants to finish everything with a dunk no matter whos in his way, demar shys away more

Comment

He can be better, he was picked higher after all, but he is a different type of player. Derozen is a big two guard, almost a three, and his game is best when he operates out of the post or can drive off of a switch to a big. He's also ok in the midrange.
              Ross has all the tools to be more of the classic shooting guard: a great stroke, good handles, and some good athleticism. I'm not trying to say he projects to be a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller, but that style of play is more him and that is the role he would be suited for. He's definately been a bright spot this year since I wasn't sure what to expect. He already has NBA 3 point range which is a major plus.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Ross has more tools at his disposal than DD, but who knows if he will ever reach that potential. It's too early in Ross' career to say if he will or not. Don't know anything about the kids work ethic and heart. Does he give a damn or is he just looking to make some money and coast? Only time will tell.

Comment

I think its possible, but its WAY too early to even start this discussion.

What I like:

Shoots off the dribble / screen very well. There was one play last night where I swear we were looking at a Reggie Miller / Ray Allen / Rip Hamilton imitation as he came around a screen for the catch and shoot.

Athleticism (obviously)

What needs to improve:

Awareness in general, which is to be expected for a rookie but I'd hoped he might have a little more, given that he's a little older than other rooks.

I think that given a consistent role and minutes this year he should be able to get a lot more game sense.

Comment

Ross seems very Leandro barbosa-esque. I can see him being a sixth man but still could start if you wanted to guy. Like harden in okc(not to that extent) or barbosa in Phoenix.

Comment

He needs to be more aggressive
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

no! not impressed with a guy getting buckets while getting blown out, the kid looks lost out there
                        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

knickz wrote: View Post
                          no! not impressed with a guy getting buckets while getting blown out, the kid looks lost out there
                          What? Do you even watch the games? He's been getting better with every passing day and was our best player yesterday. He played great in the 1st half too when there was no blow out. The "kid looks lost" thing worked in the first week, but he's really looking like he'll develop into a quality NBA player.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                            Ross seems very Leandro barbosa-esque. I can see him being a sixth man but still could start if you wanted to guy. Like harden in okc(not to that extent) or barbosa in Phoenix.
                            I see him as someone like Courtney Lee. Useful piece, fringe starter-type on the right team, and picked about 12 spots too high....

Comment

I see him with much more potential than you guys do. He's going to a be a core piece, possibly fringe all star who will eventually push DeMar off this team. Good #3 option, behind eventually Val and another as of yet unknown player. 18 points 6 reb consistently, great perimeter D.

And for the record, I saw that long before his 19 pt dunk fest.

Comment

Working...
                              X