Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-21......then we roll

Comment

I just wanted to add one thing to this. Compare Charlotte and Toronto, taken from basketball reference:

Margin of Victory: -5.50 vs -5.56
      Pythagorean Wins: 4 vs 5
      SRS: -7.03 vs -5.34 (this rating is a combination of point differential and strength of schedule, higher is better and average is 0)
      Hollinger's Ranking: 29th vs 23rd

Actual record: 7-7 vs 3-13.

These two teams are pretty close to equal in terms of the metrics used to evaluate long-term success, and yet one has eeked out 6 of it's wins by 4 points or less and the other has lost it's close games. Does that mean we should assume that Charlotte will be fighting for a playoff spot all season while Toronto will continue to flounder? Does it mean that the Raptors have a significantly worse roster than Charlotte's? Of course not, at some point things should even out, and I'd take Toronto's roster going forward if I was offered the chance to swap.

I don't know what the difference has been for Charlotte in those close games (since I've watched literally none of them other than the Toronto game), but I'd guess it's simply that they have two guys in Gordon and Walker that are built for getting shots off late, plus Sessions on top of that. In contrast, The Raptors' closers are DeRozan, Bargnani and Lowry. I'm sure you can see why this difference is significant.
      Last edited by Lark Benson; Fri Nov 30, 2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

wtfraps wrote: View Post
        omg please dont go on a run and ruin our pick!!!!!
        We don't have a pick in the upcoming draft unless it's top 3 or out of the lottery. The Thunder own the pick otherwise.

Comment

I'm optimistic about the team turning things around this season, and that we will be that much better next season with JV more experienced, DD & ED continually improving, Lowry and hopefully adding some talent via a trade or free agency.

But I'm also cautious that optimism is why we've held onto assets like Bosh and ended up with nothing for him and continue to hold onto Bargnanni thinking he will one day reach his potential.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            But I'm also cautious that optimism is why we've held onto assets like Bosh and ended up with nothing for him and continue to hold onto Bargnanni thinking he will one day reach his potential.
            At one point or another, optimism can become Blind. Misguided. Naive. While I don't believe the ship has sailed on this team and this season, perhaps the boat has sailed on Bargnani ..

Regardless, at this point in time, I believe we need more Optimism around a team that has simply had more bad breaks than bad shots this season.

Comment

Working...
            X