Once again, Dougie Smith bows down to Raps and says, "Yessir."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again, Dougie Smith bows down to Raps and says, "Yessir."

Raptors fans are wise to ignore the 'heat' GM Bryan Colangelo supposedly faces: Smith

I think I need some help here.

All last week, and actually for a few weeks, I’ve been told that this guy or that guy (specifically Bryan Colangelo and Dwane Casey) need to be “feeling the heat.”

What does it mean?

Especially about the GM.

Do you think he’s not trying to make moves to make his team better? Like he’s not making calls and seeing what’s out there?

Does it mean every single story ever written on these guys has to point out the last five years? That’s kind of boring and repetitive and, frankly, not something I feel like doing.

Sure, we write every day than things aren’t good, their record is in every game story and I think the tone of the most pieces would echo the fact they begin this trip 4-13.

But “heat” is such a strange and vague term it’s almost wise to ignore it.

Should we somehow be urging him to do something every single day? Like that’s going to force him to make a move? Should we call for someone’s firing once or twice a week without any suggestion of what a replacement might be?

No, not a chance. Sorry. We continue to point out how things are, what the problems are, how they might be fixed.

That’s about all the “feeling the heat” you’re going to get here, or really should anywhere.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...-answered.html
    So let me get this straight.

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the possibility of this being the 5th season without a playoff appearance?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about being tied for 2nd last in the league through 17 games?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the endless and unfulfilled hyperbole spewed by Colangelo year in and year out? (flexibility, young guns, rebuild, build, acceleration, etc. etc.)

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the regression shown by the team this season?

Raptor fans should just ignore and keep quiet about the 7 years of misery with Bargnani and the revelation he is what he is - nothing more, nothing less?

I think Raptor fans should just ignore Doug Smith and he should just keep quiet. Thanks for all those hot tips and rumours Doug! Thanks for breaking all those stories, Doug! Thanks for asking the tough questions that need to be asked, Doug! Thanks for.... oh wait a minute, you don't do any of that.... Thanks for nothing, Doug!

Just one point that might not have come through in my rant above:

At some point in time results matter.

7 years of Bargnani and it is time for results to matter.

7 years of Colangelo (and this will be 5 years missing out on the playoffs) and it is time for results to matter.

Last year there was a sense of pride in what was happening and the comments from opposing coaches and players. This year? Serious regression and back to league doormat.

Comment

If you don't like his opinion, you don't have to read it.

I don't read Smith for news or for proactive opinions. I think he's got a good way of putting things in perspective, however. He's seen a lot of bad teams, a few good ones, and he knows how the league, and especially this team, works.

In this case he's just pointing out that it's all well and good for us to bitch and moan about changes, but that changes are unlikely and we should consider the work that has to go into these matters. Not sure why you think he should stop doing his job, even though you disagree with him.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
        If you don't like his opinion, you don't have to read it.

I don't read Smith for news or for proactive opinions. I think he's got a good way of putting things in perspective, however. He's seen a lot of bad teams, a few good ones, and he knows how the league, and especially this team, works.

In this case he's just pointing out that it's all well and good for us to bitch and moan about changes, but that changes are unlikely and we should consider the work that has to go into these matters. Not sure why you think he should stop doing his job, even though you disagree with him.
        I don't usually read him. It was an accident I clicked on the link on the sports page.

The Raptors have a great PR department. I'm not sure why Smith feels the need to do their job. That is my point. I would really love if anyone can find anything critical of the Raptors organization from Doug in the last 7 years.

I appreciate your points though, fwiw.

Comment

Doug Smith is the worst, i can't stand the guy. There isn't a more blatant yes-man in the media.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            I don't usually read him. It was an accident I clicked on the link on the sports page.

The Raptors have a great PR department. I'm not sure why Smith feels the need to do their job. That is my point. I would really love if anyone can find anything critical of the Raptors organization from Doug in the last 7 years.

I appreciate your points though, fwiw.
            Smith is the grumpy old man of Toronto sports media, he has a certain appeal in the sense that you never know what he's going to go off about, but he doesn't add much of an opinion to the discussion. I think he doesn't criticize the team because, quite frankly, he doesn't care. He's a writer, and an old-school one at that, so he's very detached from the whole fandom. That makes for good reporting when he just writes the facts, but very bad writing when it comes to opinions.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
              Smith is the grumpy old man of Toronto sports media, he has a certain appeal in the sense that you never know what he's going to go off about, but he doesn't add much of an opinion to the discussion. I think he doesn't criticize the team because, quite frankly, he doesn't care. He's a writer, and an old-school one at that, so he's very detached from the whole fandom. That makes for good reporting when he just writes the facts, but very bad writing when it comes to opinions.

Just my 2 cents.
              I appreciate your 2 cents.

I don't think he just writes the facts though. If he just wrote the facts he wouldn't be downplaying fans and other reporters frustrations. This is not elementary school sports day where every kid gets a ribbon and high five for taking part. The last 5 years have been dreadful in Toronto with and without Bosh and the team has taken a step back despite supposed talent upgrades and expectations from president/GM of 'accelerating' the build.

Comment

Just my 2 cents.
                I don't think this is a matter of an old school writer. Old school media has had opinion since the first printing press. This is the guy who has the best contacts, first and most accurate information. In exchange he offers well versed articles. This isn't 'old school', this is trading personal editorial opinion for the best access to information.

One very good thing Doug Smith offers is you can tell exactly what the team is thinking and where it plans to go from 'his' opinion.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                  This is nothing about an old school writer. This is the guy who has the best contacts, first and most accurate information. In exchange he offers well versed articles. This isn't 'old school', this is trading personal editorial opinion for the best access to information.

One very good thing Doug Smith offers is you can tell exactly what the team is thinking and where it plans to go from 'his' opinion.
                  which is scary because right now it appears to be status quo.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                    I don't think this is a matter of an old school writer. Old school media has had opinion since the first printing press. This is the guy who has the best contacts, first and most accurate information. In exchange he offers well versed articles. This isn't 'old school', this is trading personal editorial opinion for the best access to information.

Hmm, I think you've got a point there.

Comment

doug loves these...

Comment

When I write to Doug, I like to throw in dietary advice, to show him how much I care

Comment

Has anyone read the Paula Broadwell biography of General Petraes? I read it after learning that she was blowing him. Total puff piece. For me reading Doug Smith on the Raptors has the same feel (though not saying he's blowing anyone!).

Comment

For some reason I'm reminded of this clip whenever we complain about BC

Comment

Yeah, Doug Smith is never going to be the one to bash the team. Not sure I'd really call him a yes man, or a puppet, but gutless, or convictionless, maybe. For what it's worth, BC has the season to convince me he can make changes. Casey still has my support for maybe another year. It's hard to tell with him. It seems like he's struggling to make adjustments this season, but I wonder how much of it is not having trust in, once again, a deficient roster. So I think the roster is what has to change first, and if BC doesn't do that, then ownership needs to find someone who recognizes that. Can't go much longer without a change...

Comment

Working...
                              X