• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollinger's Power Rankings

Raps are 9th.

Presented entirely without comment:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/pow...ngs/_/sort/sos

I'm sorry, I don't understand what this is?

Comment

Me neither. How are we 9th and Pelicans 3rd?
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.

Comment

The rankings here don't reflect the actual ratings he gives them. Looks like ranking order is actually by strength of sched for some reason.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
            The rankings here don't reflect the actual ratings he gives them. Looks like ranking order is actually by strength of sched for some reason.
            I think there's a link that will take you to the explanation and logic/rationale behind his system. He tries to show ratings that are more reflective of where teams will end up, than just where they are today. So, if you played lots of good/playoff teams in the first half of the season and picked up more losses than wins, the theory is that you'll pickup more wins than losses in the second half, since you'll play more games against bad/lottery teams.

Comment

Yeah, I realize that, but the link provided sorts by Strength of Schedule. (I thought at first it was an error in the page, but it's just that the link isn't to the actual ranking order.)

Here's the correct link:
              http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Raptors are 23rd, right about where they belong.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                Raptors are 23rd, right about where they belong.
                Which is fair, considering they've had a really hard schedule and have the league's 2nd worse record at the moment. Anything much higher would be a little crazy and anything lower wouldn't seem to reflect how competitive we've been in most games.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I believe Hollinger's rankings take +/- point differential, schedule and strength of opponents into account. So the fact that the Raptors have lost sooooo many close games (2 by 1 point, 1 by 2 points, 1 by 3 points and 2 overtime losses) to mostly really good teams (playoff teams last year and projected to be playoff teams this year) makes the Raptors a lot better than their record otherwise suggests.

I think his rankings reflect the same sort of optimism that so few of us RR Raptors fans seem to have these days. Contrary to popular belief in many threads, the sky isn't falling... yet.
                  Aaaaaand, boom goes the dynamite. Its nice to have empirical evidence to support these sentiments. I will repeat my comment from another forum. This is a good team with a bad record. We'll be just fine...hopefully
                  Welp, that sucked.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                    Aaaaaand, boom goes the dynamite. Its nice to have empirical evidence to support these sentiments. I will repeat my comment from another forum. This is a good team with a bad record. We'll be just fine...hopefully
                    Aaaaaaand, boom here comes reality.

That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

Good teams win more often than they lose regardless of opponent. Period.

I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

That is 9th based on strength of schedule. Do you really think the Raptors are better than the Thunder?

I will repeat a comment from numerous forums: this is a bad team tied for the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Numerous people, myself included, have been saying, "We'll be just fine.... hopefully" for 5 years now. I think the Raptors will be fine..... eventually, but not without meaningful change. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. If that is true then a lot of Raptor fans and its management are freaking insane.
                      orrrr after Hollinger's demar derozan and raptors sucks comments, demar and kendrick lamar might have given a conference call from Compton asking him whats up?

n here is his answer with the ranking

Comment

I hope you are right.

Comment

If I had to side with either CRF:

Orr Matt:

..On this particular subject, I definitely side with CRF.

Good Team, Bad Record.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            If I had to side with either CRF:

Orr Matt:

..On this particular subject, I definitely side with CRF.

Good Team, Bad Record.
                            Fair enough.

But when you look at his actual rankings, the Raptors are 23rd.

Bad Team, Badder Record.

Comment

Fair enough.

But when you look at his actual rankings, the Raptors are 23rd.

Bad Team, Badder Record.
                              23rd with their record is pretty impressive IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X