No announcement yet.

Blow it up..... seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Durant! Lebron! Davis! Great! Thabeet...Morrison...Oden...almost all of AB's draft year...hmmm. It's a sucker's bet. You win, awesome. You lose, you may lose the franchise. Our PG situation? It'll do. SG? improving. Centre? He'll get there. PF...jury's split (well, it used to be split). Sf? Gotta find one of those. So keep playing, keep trying to win. Remember that most of these respected draft planned teams are successful because of luck.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
      This years draft might not have any 'superstars' but there are many good players in college right now.

Kentucky alone will have a few prospects that could declare(Poyethess, Goodwin) and KU kids can typically play in the NBA. I will get into specific prospects later on in the year but the startegy should be to add another young piece in this draft which will ensure you are adding young talen but it won't be an immediate impact guy so you also won't be that good next year and will give yourself a chance in the Wiggins sweepstakes.

I am convinced that Stern will give us the kid to bolster his international nba vision. A Canadian playing in Canada and this kid has all of the tools to be a mega star in the league. One last piece of meddling for the greatest commissioner of all time!
      Sadly Stern retires in February and the draft lottery is no until May 2014.

Wiggins has been called the type of player who comes once every 10-20 years by a scout (can't remember the quote). But it is not all about Wiggins though. There will be other talents. The hard part is being in position to draft them and identifying them. The more picks the more chances hence "Dump you sh!t for prospects & picks!"

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
        Durant! Lebron! Davis! Great! Thabeet...Morrison...Oden...almost all of AB's draft year...hmmm. It's a sucker's bet. You win, awesome. You lose, you may lose the franchise. Our PG situation? It'll do. SG? improving. Centre? He'll get there. PF...jury's split (well, it used to be split). Sf? Gotta find one of those. So keep playing, keep trying to win. Remember that most of these respected draft planned teams are successful because of luck.
        I support this message.

Comment

Jclaw wrote: View Post
          And the Raptors disrespected team is unsuccessful because they suck.

They need talent.

I have yet to find a response that addresses a lack of talent and:

1) removes the Raptors from having a ceiling of a first round exit, and
          2) lands talent in Toronto - free agency? History says no. Trade? With what assets and history says no.

Comment

I think I would rather have a perennially competitive team that is not dependent upon a single star. My dream is to have a team like Denver. Lots of cogs in the wheel, well-coached basketball. I would rather not have to wait 5 years (past + future "rebuilding") in the hopes of landing a single player that may or may not turn into the player that we need, who may or may not stick with the Raps after getting out of the "rebuilding" phase. I don't think this team is that far away, despite its record. So descending further into the rebuild seems crazy to me at this point in the season. Maybe my tune will change after the all-star break.

Trade Bargs. Its gotta happen. See what we get back. Maybe it is a draft pick. Maybe we get back an expiring. I dunno what's out there. But I think this has to be the first chip to fall before other more drastic changes are considered.
            Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              I've been advocating for going the draft route for a while now, as it's the only way to have a solid chance at acquiring elite level talent for shall we say less attractive destinations for American players.

You could say that this year is a weak draft crop, but we did get JV in what was considered a weak draft and we could have had Aldridge in a weak draft when BC took Bargnani instead.

So first thing we have to do is get our pick back from OKC. Can anyone think of anyone on this team that OKC might want?
              Good point. A "weak" draft can still produce an impact player.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                I support this message.
                I can't get behind.

Accepting the current situation ignores the last 5 seasons, condones mediocrity, and shows just how low the bar is set for Raptor fans.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Good point. A "weak" draft can still produce an impact player.
                  Yup.

Bargs draft class: Gay at 9. Rondo 21. Alridge 4. Roy (extreme example but was a 3x All-Star) 5.

Comment

Blow it up..... seriously

There is no need to blow it up but we need a balance between veterans and young players.

For several years now the Raptor's having been missing 2 key elements.... a solid post presence (rebounding & defense.... remember BC tried to acquire Tyson Chandler) and shooting forward. Fix these areas and you will see big change.

Instead of drafting Valanciunas and Ross , we could have drafted Khawi Leonard, SF and Drummond, C.
                    While Valanciunas and Ross are great prospects, I believe Leonard, and Drummond were better fits.

Also money saved on Bosh's departure could have been used to go after Al Jefferson that fits the Raptor's needs. If we keep Bargnani we need a center that can compensate for Bargnani's weaknesses on defense.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                      I think I would rather have a perennially competitive team that is not dependent upon a single star. My dream is to have a team like Denver. Lots of cogs in the wheel, well-coached basketball. I would rather not have to wait 5 years (past + future "rebuilding") in the hopes of landing a single player that may or may not turn into the player that we need, who may or may not stick with the Raps after getting out of the "rebuilding" phase. I don't think this team is that far away, despite its record. So descending further into the rebuild seems crazy to me at this point in the season. Maybe my tune will change after the all-star break.

Trade Bargs. Its gotta happen. See what we get back. Maybe it is a draft pick. Maybe we get back an expiring. I dunno what's out there. But I think this has to be the first chip to fall before other more drastic changes are considered.
                      And Denver's team as currently constructed is primarily a result of successful draft picks and asset accumulation leading to asset acquisition.

Comment

Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                        There is no need to blow it up but we need a balance between veterans and young players.

For several years now the Raptor's having been missing 2 key elements.... a solid post presence (rebounding & defense.... remember BC tried to acquire Tyson Chandler) and shooting forward. Fix these areas and you will see big change.

Instead of drafting Valanciunas and Ross , we could have drafted Khawi Leonard, SF and Drummond, C.
                        While Valanciunas and Ross are great prospects, I believe Leonard, and Drummond were better fits.

Also money saved on Bosh's departure could have been used to go after Al Jefferson that fits the Raptor's needs. If we keep Bargnani we need a center that can compensate for Bargnani's weaknesses on defense.
                        The team has reached the point of needing to be blown up in my obvious opinion.

All those shoulda, coulda, woulda mean nothing moving forward.

All those shoulda, coulda, woulda highlight is any blow up needs to be done with new leadership.

#No3rdYearOption

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I would very much keep JV, DD, TR, and ED unless their inclusion in a deal brought back more desirable assets. Everyone else is expendable.
                          Okay, this minor clarification makes a huge difference in my response. Lol
                          Although, I wouldn't be against keeping Amir.

They need talent.
                          I'm not completely sold that Talent is the big problem here.

removes the Raptors from having a ceiling of a first round exit,
                          At this point, I'm not sure we've seen enough from this roster to speculate what their ceiling is. In my opinion.
                          We have some very talented players on this roster, who have not been playing the way it is known they can play.
                          Whether or not they ever will, I'm not sure. But I'm not ready to speculate on that yet.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            At this point, I'm not sure we've seen enough from this roster to speculate what their ceiling is. In my opinion.
                            We have some very talented players on this roster, who have not been playing the way it is known they can play.
                            Whether or not they ever will, I'm not sure. But I'm not ready to speculate on that yet.
                            IMO, "real" talent is evident from day-1. Guys like LeBron, Durant, Howard, Duncan, Shaq, Vince, etc. don't need 3+ years to learn how to dominate. Their immense skill is on display from the moment they start their NBA careers.

That's the type of talent this team needs to get out of the cellar, and I can confidently say we don't have anyone that fits this description (including Jonas).

Comment

IMO, "real" talent is evident from day-1. Guys like LeBron, Durant, Howard, Duncan, Shaq, Vince, etc. don't need 3+ years to learn how to dominate. Their immense skill is on display from the moment they start their NBA careers.

That's the type of talent this team needs to get out of the cellar, and I can confidently say we don't have anyone that fits this description (including Jonas).
                              +1

And if the goal is to build a team like Detroit 2000's run or current team like Denver, then they need to acquire more prospects and draft picks to get the solid players needed via trade or draft to grow together and compete.

Comment

Guys like this are like lottery tickets though. For each of them, there are many incredible players who do take a bit more development time. These late bloomers won't necessarily be superstars, but they can become all-star level talent, and that's a more realistic thing to focus on.

Still don't think they should keep the current team together though. I'm advocating going all out for 2014 draft acquisitions. I'd move anyone on this team besides JV. If we have to take on some bad contracts to get 1st round 2014 picks in the lottery range, we should do it. Those bad contracts will disappear before the prospects we could draft in 2014 do.
                                Last edited by KHD; Mon Dec 10, 2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X