Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grange: What is Colangelo's biggest error in Toronto?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slaw wrote: View Post
    Other errors:

1. Turkoglu signing
    2. Hiring Jay Triano
    3. Not moving Bosh sooner
    4. Bargnani
    5. Pretty much everything in the last 3 offseasons
    1. Turk came off of a breakout year it was actually a good signing if he had actually played the way he did a season prior with the magic he was a beast It made sense why people called him the Turkish MJ.
    2. Jay Triano was Canadian I think that was his logic for that one But I agree I didnt like sam getting fired anyway but it led us to DC which im happy with.
    3. Bosh was always saying I love T.dot I love T.dot and he was a bonafied star so we built around him, problem is Bosh was too weird a person to draw any other stars to play along side him here.
    4. Bargnani was the right choice that draft based on what he could have been/could be/and everything he brought to the table already.
    5. Well ya lol but its not easy bringing ignorant bastards to play here some people think we live in igloos up here in Canada and hunt polar bears and shit. Sounds like a dam Game Of Thrones story.

And everyone drop the JO thing lol he was a monster around that time and was supposed to be our legit center to play along with Bosh, then his knees exploded and kept exploding.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      Bosh, plus a player as good as Bosh would have been a 50-win team and a serious playoff contender
      Only in the east, and you would never be a real title threat imo. He needs to be your third best player, and we were certainly never going to get two players better than him, we should have traded him a long time before he left
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Fonzi wrote: View Post
        There have been many mistakes, but perhaps the biggest was drafting Bargnani over Aldridge.
        It's a mistake now, but at the time it wasn't because he was essentially the exact same player as Bosh was
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I don't think that Colangelo has done the greatest job of building the raptors, but you have to think about his moves in terms of opportunity cost - i.e. what other deals did he pass up to execute the trades he made, what players could he have signed instead of the ones that he did, and what players did he pass on to select the players that he drafted. I argue that BC's tenure has been characterized by a few bad signings but mostly by unfortunate circumstances and bad luck.

Unfortunately we can never truly know whether there was a better trade available for any deal because we are not privvy to the discussions between NBA general managers. It may be that BC has passed up trades to acquire a true star, but we'll never know what he had to deal with so this is a pointless exercise.

Looking at the draft, the Raptors have simply had bad luck in terms of their draft positioning. We haven't been in a position to select a stud in years. BC hasn't found gold in the draft since he came to the raptors, but we can't say he has truly missed any opportunities. If he had drafted aldridge instead of bargs, he would have been crucified for selecting a bosh clone. Aldridge was considered soft and definitely not a C at the time of the draft. Rudy Gay had a lot of question marks and could have easily ended up more like Earl Clark. You could argue jennings over derozan, and jennings is good but he's not a franchise-altering star. BC didn't make bad choices in the draft - he has just never been in a position to make good ones other than the JV pick, and I think everyone agrees that he made the best selection there despite the unpopularity of the decision at the time.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            That is fair and true enough.

I was going on rumours over the years that may or may not actually be factual.

Good call.

Regardless of the rationale I gave, everything went to hell in a handcart when Mitchell was fired so I'm sticking with it. Now would he have made a difference? We'll never know.
            I don't think the firing was a result of how Mitchell handled Bargs, but I don't think any coach since else has slapped him around the way Sam Mitchell did.
            Deadallus

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
              Sam was a fine coach. You fans got all emotional when you heard him and Andrea were not on speaking terms due to Andrea's care free attitude. You wanted to stand up for your 7 footer and get him a players coach in Triano that would comfort him. You guys also wanted to play Kapono more, and Sam felt he was defensive liability and played him less. Sam figured out how to use the pieces most effectively. Triano took a much better team and failed miserably by using Bosh less thinking that was the way to retain the big man.

It was a huge disaster when Sam left the team, each season got worse. COY chased out by realgm fans because they thought their 7 foot hero was 30/15 centre.
              Um, no. I thought Sam was a bad coach because he legitimately had no strategy other than "we just gotta make more shots". My opinion on him had nothing to do with Bargnani, and ESPECIALLY not Kapono, but thanks for playing.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                Here's what Colangelo had when he signed.

1. A star on a rookie contract (Bosh)
                2. A 1st overall draft pick.
                3. A weak division.
                4. Tonnes of cap space.
                5. 2 players who played in rookie challenge.

That was then and here we are now. The second worst team in the league with only 2 wins in the playoffs to show for in the last 7 years.

*Sigh*
                I think we won 3 games in the playoffs... Sam Mitchell's Record is 3 and 8. They played Orlando twice in the playoffs if I am mistaken.

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
                  I think we won 3 games in the playoffs... Sam Mitchell's Record is 3 and 8. They played Orlando twice in the playoffs if I am mistaken.
                  They played the Nets (lost 4 games to 2) and the Magic the year after (lost 4 games to 1).

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    But you have to admit that an 8-9 start isn't disastrous enough to warrant dismissal (especially when you factor in Triano's record for the remainder of the season).

There must've been something else going on that helped Smitch through the door. Whether it was Bargnani or not, who knows.
                    maybe he wrestled more players than just Vince

Comment

Ah thats right, the NETS, Calderon botched that shot at the end, BUT anyone remember with a minute or so left a SERIOUSLY BAD call by Tim Donaghy, bets were on that game Im sure. Seriously I don't know what call it was but remember that turned the game and Nets took the lead in the dying minute because of that call.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        What do you think his biggest error has been?
                        That's easy. His biggest error was not reading fan forum posts by ebrian and obeying every command/suggestion I've made.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          That's easy. His biggest error was not reading fan forum posts by ebrian and obeying every command/suggestion I've made.
                          There might be some truth in that.

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
                            maybe he wrestled more players than just Vince
                            Well, he did make Rafer Alston cry....

Comment

His error, was becoming the president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors.

#No3rdYearOption #TradeBargnani
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
                                2 or 3 games, both are disappointing.
                                "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Working...
                                X