non basketball thoughts during Nets @ Raps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non basketball thoughts during Nets @ Raps

This post is not of a very serious nature and maybe a bit long … but it’s why I put it over here.

One commercial that I dislike even more than the ‘yes, coach’ one (where Turkoglu’s talking on the phone with his disgusting mouth full of pizza – or maybe I should say, on the phone with his mouth full of disgusting pizza) is where that sad and almost pathetic mid-level office-dude (you know he’s an office-dude by day … and the ‘mid-level’ thing goes without saying) sneaks into the kitchen with the whole leather-and-Zorro-mask getup to ‘scare’ his wife into what he thinks will be a little bit of fantasy role-play action … and before he knows it, she’s bashing him over the head with the iron skillet. Actually, as I typed that out, I laughed … so … never mind, maybe. But … seeing dude get bashed over the head like that always leaves me shaking mine. At least they stopped playing the other one from the same company (and same ad firm) where the groom goes up to see his bride and surprises her and ‘Dad’ having a private moment. Probably just me but I could never find anything at all amusing about that one, either. All in all, I’d have to give the ad-campaign a thumbs down.

Vanilla Ice played at halftime? The Dufferin Mall gig must’ve cancelled. Actually, the halftime gig is a step up, so maybe the comeback is moving along, as planned. (Lol.)

I notice that baseball announcers (the other sport I watch) pronounce ‘Toronto’ (for the most part) the way most of us do (probably since they’ve spent more time here, with the Blue-Jays playoffs back in the ‘90s and all), making the last ‘t’ mostly silent. Toronno. Always sounded better to me … and I’ve half-convinced some who I’ve discussed it with that it’s the proper pronunciation. (Lol.) (I made up a whole story on-the-spot once, that the original Native-Indian word – Toronto, meaning ‘meeting place’ which I think is true – was properly pronounced with the last ‘t’, silent. Some bought it, some didn’t. It’s bs of course.) Anyway, basketball announcers always seem to fall all over themselves pronouncing that last ‘t’. Toe-RON-toe. Sounds ridiculous. Can somebody wise them up, please? That last ‘t’ is mostly silent. Tell ‘em the Native pronunciation thing. Or make up your own story.

So, I have three different Raptors T shirts: one from the VC era (navy with Toronto Raptors across the front – Eastern Conference below that, with Dino w/ the ball above); one I bought when I was at the ACC for the last game of the ‘06/’07 season (red, with Atlantic Division Champions and the Claw on it) and one I got at a game last year (grey, with a ball and the Claw). The last one’s my favorite to wear out and about … but lately, I noticed that the first one (navy) had a little mojo thing going on, as when I had it on during games, they seemed to win. So when I realized that, I hung it up (usually gets folded in the drawer … when it’s not temporarily scattered), where I forgot about it for couple of games. Then, on the Friday night game against Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago (after losing two), I remembered that I’d put it in the closet after the Dallas game (having worn it that Sunday and the Friday night game in New York, previous), so I ran (literally) to the bedroom closet to put it on … and sure enough, the Raps won. I made a point to then, before each of the next four games, put it on … and then after the game, hang it back up. So … what happened Tuesday against Indiana? Well, as it happened, on Tuesday, the Missus got home before me and decided that she’d take the laundry downstairs and for some reason, she went into my closet and grabbed whatever she thought needed to be washed. So when I went for it, it wasn’t there (!!). Needless to say, I griped some about it (it was already in the washer) enough for her to call me an a-hole … but after the game, I showed her that they lost and said, “see?” She called me something else, similar to the first one but in Italian this time, but it got me to wondering after I had it on last night for the big win against the Nets, if this is an unusual thing? It might be … ‘cause superstition is a bit silly (I do understand – knock wood) … but maybe not. So, does anyone else out there have a ‘lucky T shirt’ or hat or whatever? I’m just curious to know if there are others who make it a point to wear something or other for the very good reason that the Raps seem to win more often than not, when you do.

That’s all. Hope you’re good.

Go Raptors.

Great post man! It's refreshing to talk about other things than just "the game". I think you're onto something. Anyways...

As far as the whole t-shirt thing, I gotta say I'm with you. Although mine goes the opposite way. A buddy of mine gave me one of those Raptor red t-shirt jerseys with #4 BOSH on the back for Christmas last year. The first game I wore it for was vs. the Knicks about 2 months later and the Raps got shallacked by 30 points. Just a coincidence I thought. No Problem. The next game I wore it for was the game vs. Phoenix a few days later. Raps got spanked by 20 points this time. I decided I wasn't going to wear the shirt for games anymore. Well that lasted until this season when I decided to try it again. It was for the Memphis game early in the season and we all know what happened that game! Needless to say, I don't wear the shirt anymore...
    I am a Dallas Cowboys as well and I'm very superstitious about what jersey I wear when they play though. I have a few so it depends on who i want to have a big game that day. I put my D. Ware jersey on for the N.O. Saints game and we smoked em. I wore it for every other game of he season and they won out including the Wild-Card playoff game. I wore it for the Minny game as well, but I also let my Raider fan buddy wear my Marion Barber jersey. They lost. I blamed him for polluting the jersey and making them lose! Haha, oh well maybe next season.

As far as commercials, nobody can beat this one. You know you've all been there!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBGk...om=PL&index=32

GO TORONNO!

Comment

ws511 wrote: View Post
      So, does anyone else out there have a ‘lucky T shirt’ or hat or whatever? I’m just curious to know if there are others who make it a point to wear something or other for the very good reason that the Raps seem to win more often than not, when you do.
      Let me start by saying that was an awesome rant. Vanilla Ice @ Dufferin mall line was classic.

As for the question above...I only have a lucky jersey for football (which has long since lost it's magic, as my NFL team is the buffalo bills). However, raptors-wise...my current "lucky" charm is just me attending games. The raps have never lost in the 8 or 9 times i've been there to see them this season (and not just easy games, i've been there for the cavs, spurs and lakers matches). So i'll promise to continue doing my part and attending as many games as possible!

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
        A buddy of mine gave me one of those Raptor red t-shirt jerseys with #4 BOSH on the back for Christmas last year. The first game I wore it for was vs. the Knicks about 2 months later and the Raps got shallacked by 30 points. Just a coincidence I thought. No Problem. The next game I wore it for was the game vs. Phoenix a few days later. Raps got spanked by 20 points this time. I decided I wasn't going to wear the shirt for games anymore. Well that lasted until this season when I decided to try it again. It was for the Memphis game early in the season and we all know what happened that game! Needless to say, I don't wear the shirt anymore...
        I know the shirt that you are talking about and its been retired in my home also...

got one last minute before I blasted off from Kelowna to Seattle for the Raptors last game in B.Gatesville (that man has one helluva home). (November 2008 if I recall correctly)

WELL... 45 minutes out of Kelowna on the mountain pass to Vancouver: BLOW OUT... If you googlemap Merrit BC, thats where I ended up for 5 hours trying to find a replacement tire to continue my trip, found the tire finally and continued on

crossed over into the US and hit disgusting weather as I made my way to Seattle. Wet heavy snow, the worst kind to drive in when your in a rush... about an hour out of Seattle: Semi truck jack knifed on the interstate with bumper to bumper traffic for about 4km... delay number 2, damn good thing I had planned on spending the whole day in Seattle and left very early.

Made my way to the game finally showing up just before tip off wearing that lovely red t-shirt (Note: I can understand why Seattle lost the team, a majority of the fans in the stands were wearing red and had traveled from Canada to watch the Raptors, even with Durant as the hottest rookie that year the hometown crowd was sparse)

If anyone remembers that game: Raptors had no, I mean absolutely NO defense for Durant, the kid dropped a ton of points in the 2nd half, talking shite while dropping a trey on Parkers head, and had a sick dunk on Bargs or Nestor, can't remember exactly who it was. Raptors lose...

heavy hearted as I made my way back to Canada that evening and I was still wearing that STOOOOOPID shirt as I crossed the border at about 3am. Showed the border guard the ticket stubs and the promo stuff I got for the kids from the game and the jackass still decided that I was a national threat/drug dealer and searched the car for an hour as I sat and waited... that shirt has never made it back out of the dresser drawer since that night for obvious reasons...

Comment

HaHa Creebrave, that story trumps mine for reasons not to wear it!! Maybe we should meet halfway in the country, maybe ButtFuck Manitoba or Saskatchewan and have ourselves a bonfire?!
          Last edited by Mack North; Thu Feb 4, 2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

[Edited ...]

Funny commercial, Mack North. Hadn’t seen that. I do (in truth) watch a little bit more than hoops and baseball (tho basketball and baseball are the two that keep me awake at night) ... but number three on the list is NFL football. (Occasionally I’ll take in a few minutes of CFL. Saw the last quarter of the Grey Cup.) I also watch a minute of hockey here and there ... though that ship kinda sailed some time ago.

Deejay, the Bills fan. I became one myself, after moving to Toronto those years ago. It was watching O.J. Simpson run up the middle that got me hooked on the Bills. (Long time ago but ... damn! he was amazing to watch.) Later, Marv Levy, from my home-town Alouettes (former coach) moved to Buffalo ... and then Doug Flutie had his year and three quarters with the Bills. He should’ve been allowed to complete his mission ... ‘cause anyone who was watching back then, KNEW that the Bills had a whole ‘destiny’ thing going on. But ... it wasn’t to be. Ralph Wilson insisting on Rob Johnson starting in that playoff game saw to that.

Good story, Creebrave. I’ve known a few highway adventures myself, but that sounded memorable for sure. Always felt bad for the Sonics fans, after watching a video (that I saw a link to in a B Simmons page) that was a couple of hours long (I think), and made me sorry for their loss. I met a Sonics fan on my way to California once and he told me a lot of what I saw in that video. But the video fleshed it out.

Raps off for too many days over the next week and a half. Kinda messed up, no? Don’t really like the whole “ALL STAR” bs. Except this year, DeMar will (hopefully) be in the dunkfest contest. Hope he wins.

Go Raptors.
            Last edited by ws511; Sat Feb 6, 2010, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X