Ed Davis a top ten power forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    All right, small sample size. Let's not get too carried away and then throw this kid under the bus once defences starts to figure out his game.
    The thing is I'm not sure his game is "figure-out-able". The majority of his points are either second-chance or just him driving into defenders and shooting over them where they can't contest it. It's not like he has a go-to post move (like JV's running hook) that teams can gameplan against. That's sort of what has impressed me about him this year. He very much plays by 'feel' around the basket.

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
      The thing is I'm not sure his game is "figure-out-able". The majority of his points are either second-chance or just him driving into defenders and shooting over them where they can't contest it. It's not like he has a go-to post move (like JV's running hook) that teams can gameplan against. That's sort of what has impressed me about him this year. He very much plays by 'feel' around the basket.
      I think he's really wiry in a good way. Still favours the left side a lot more than the right (in my observation). Developing a mid-range game will be a great asset. I'm still more concerned about him protecting the paint rather than his scoring.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

jrdyck wrote: View Post
        Ive gotta disagree with you there. His game (at this stage) is pretty simple. He either has a 10-12 foot jumper from the left side (that still looks a little ugly .. but to his credit goes in a decent amount) or he dribbles middle (again starting from the left side) and the spins back baseline and goes off glass. And, for the record, this is the first year that he had either of those (or any) offensive move that was consistent.

Dont get me wrong .. I think this guy should be playing the majority of the minutes on our team at PF. Hes playing WAY better than he ever has and he plays hard and rebounds well. But, lets be clear .. if he puts up a couple of games with 20+ points, teams will absolutely figure out his tendencies. PER is an extremely misleading stat for lower minute guys. Its pretty good for starters who play heavy minutes .. but is consistently flawed for low minute guys (see Amir a couple years ago)

Bottom line - I hope Ed does well .. but I dont have a lot of confidence in his offensive game, given how long its taken him to find 2 NBA moves that work for him.

Comment

He got back his headband - that's why he started to play better. He should learn to pump fake and drive to the basket (like Valanciunas sometimes do) to become real offensive threat, not only score after Jose's pass or lefty hook shots from the post. And of course he should get the ball more and improve his positioning on D.
          (Sorry for poor English )

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Yeah, right....we'll see how he does with starter minutes. Hopefully he thrives, I'll just be happy if he averages 10 and 10. I don't know if that makes him a top 10 PF, but really it just makes him above average PF statistically. Ed still makes some mistakes, and he's also still way too small to play his game, which is all around the basket, for 82 games as a starter. But if he plays decently, and learns what it'll take for him to reach a higher level, it could pay off big time next season...if he's still here.
            wow, finally a bright spot on the team and you are taking that away from up fans looking for something to cheer for! Good one!

Comment

'I hope ED does well and think he will but it will be a case of inflated stats on a weak team. Realistically with Lowry playing like a top 10 PG (stats-wise) Demar playing like a top 15 SG and a strong showing from JV -- now ED is a "top 10" PF you think we would be one of the best teams in the league going forward. We won't be.

I hope it doesn't lead to another 10+ million contract but a trade chip to acquire a quality talent (since it seems like Bargs isn't worth much)

Comment

I don't think Davis is a top ten power foward. I DO think he could quite easily be (in a few years) but there is no way of telling until we can see how he does when he starts to be noticed more by opposing teams. Last time I checked, he was one of only two Raptors (the other was Lowry) who were in the top 50 players for efficiency (I can't remember their exact placing).
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                  Who cares?? Bargnani is our guy!!
                  Sarcasm?

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                    wow, finally a bright spot on the team and you are taking that away from up fans looking for something to cheer for! Good one!
                    What bright spot? His high PER in limited minutes? I'll get excited if he's got that PER playing 35 mpg, and, you know, maybe if we win a couple of games. He's more consistent this year, and has improved a little bit at some things, but really the only thing you can count on from him nightly is rebounding. Nothing about him says top 10 PF. I'm not trying to be a downer, but people should manage their expectations.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      What bright spot? His high PER in limited minutes? I'll get excited if he's got that PER playing 35 mpg, and, you know, maybe if we win a couple of games. He's more consistent this year, and has improved a little bit at some things, but really the only thing you can count on from him nightly is rebounding. Nothing about him says top 10 PF. I'm not trying to be a downer, but people should manage their expectations.
                      PER adjusts for minutes. It's an efficency rating.

(This is why a lot of people scoff at it, because a lot of players that do well in it, have a hard time staying on the court... wether its fouls or relevency to the team - so that is why it has its problems. It says little about overall impact and quality of minutes. But like any metric, in combination with observation can help a lot diagnosing problems)
                      Last edited by BasketballCrush; Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 PM.

Comment

It totally passes the eye test too. Ive been all over Eds improvements since the beginning of the season, everytime he gets the minutes he produces. period.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Happy for Ed. Hope he can keep it up.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Last time I check double double every night was elite?
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Jose leads the raptors in double doubles and no one thinks he is elite.

It really depends, want to see Davis play against starting units some more. NBA is a tough grind, the more minutes you get the more bumps and bruises you have to play with, not everyone can handle the workload. Lets start him for a month and see how he does.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                                Jose leads the raptors in double doubles and no one thinks he is elite.

It really depends, want to see Davis play against starting units some more. NBA is a tough grind, the more minutes you get the more bumps and bruises you have to play with, not everyone can handle the workload. Lets start him for a month and see how he does.
                                Actually I've always thought Jose was an elite OFFENSIVE player. His passing ability is up there with Nash and CP3. What's impressive about Ed is he has the build and natural ability to be an elite defender and rebounder plus a good offensive player.
                                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                X