Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Insider: Ed Davis - A Good Player in a Bad Situation

Tom Haberstroh's take on Ed Davis:

Quick, someone rescue Davis before something bad happens. With players-only meetings and injuries to Andrea Bargnani (elbow) and Kyle Lowry (triceps) plaguing the Raptors, the Toronto squad appears to be a sinking ship -- and 23-year-old Davis doesn't deserve to go down with it. The organization should be building around this kid rather than burying him behind Bargnani's bricklaying campaign.

Now that Bargnani is missing some time with his elbow issue, maybe Toronto will show a least a little more confidence in Davis. Despite playing less than 20 minutes per game so far this season, he's averaging 14.7 points and 12.2 rebounds per 36 minutes (which are Varejao-type numbers). Although Davis might not erupt for 24 points and 12 boards every night the way he did on Wednesday against the Nets, he has showed that he's not just a limited scorer around the rim. Will he continue to shine when Bargnani gets back? If not, let him blossom elsewhere.

Oh baby will he ever shine these next few weeks. I'm excited for sure. At least it's something to watch in this dismal season

Comment

Building around Ed Davis? I hope they mean that in some figurative sense and not literally. I like Ed, a good solid efficient player, but he is no where near a superstar.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        Building around Ed Davis? I hope they mean that in some figurative sense and not literally. I like Ed, a good solid efficient player, but he is no where near a superstar.
        Who knows?? We've all been comparing him to Amir, and most of us said he's probably going to end up as an Amir-type player, but IMO, he's going to surpass Amir much sooner than expected. He's developed a clean jumpshot, getting that FT% up and been active on the boards.

He probably needs to bulk up more.

Comment

He showed some craftiness with that left hand the other night. True test will come once the scouting report on him gets out (next game or 2). Does he have a counter move once the role to the left hand off the low post gets taken away? Can he role to the middle? Can he get deep enough position often enough to use the rim as a screener? I'd love to see him pause on the roll and give an up n under under the rim. His hook shot is awful and that needs to change pronto.

I drafted him in my fantasy L last year and was bigging him up as a walking double double. Here's to hoping I was a year premature!
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
            Who knows?? We've all been comparing him to Amir, and most of us said he's probably going to end up as an Amir-type player, but IMO, he's going to surpass Amir much sooner than expected. He's developed a clean jumpshot, getting that FT% up and been active on the boards.

He probably needs to bulk up more.
            I never got the Amir comparison. Davis is a bigger guy and is less of a hustle player and more of a traditional power forward let KG or Tim Duncan. Not that he'll be that good, but on offense he seems like he is a lot more comfortable playing in the post than Amir ever was.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

He is definitely a very solid player. Him and JV in the Frontline is a very good tandem. That fucktard colangelo better get rid of Chucknani.

Comment

Bargnani's bricklaying campaign
                that made me lol

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                  He showed some craftiness with that left hand the other night. True test will come once the scouting report on him gets out (next game or 2). Does he have a counter move once the role to the left hand off the low post gets taken away? Can he role to the middle? Can he get deep enough position often enough to use the rim as a screener? I'd love to see him pause on the roll and give an up n under under the rim. His hook shot is awful and that needs to change pronto.

I drafted him in my fantasy L last year and was bigging him up as a walking double double. Here's to hoping I was a year premature!
                  He can assist under pressure, and knows how to make Big-Big plays. His jumper looked good, lets see if he can keep it up, if he can, that lefty will work everytime for bigs respecting the jumper.
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I'm one of the people saying not to get overexcited about Davis...but I agree fully with this. Davis definitely needs to get playing time, as he is clearly playing at a higher level than his past two seasons. That said, he still has a long way to go. The way I look at him this season, as he's a bit more confident and his scoring ability is slightly more polished, is like a Taj Gibson type player, but with a higher ceiling (Gibson was one old rook and his game hasn't really grown). I think, and always have, that Ed's ceiling is quite a bit higher than Amir's, even as a reserve, as he seems to just have much better IQ and instincts. He just needs time, and still quite a bit of work on his offense if he wants to be more than a fringe starter or first big off the bench.

Comment

I would facepalm every time he got in the game last year. It seemed like his hands were made of stone or some sort of basketball repellant material. He was rushing everything, his shot was poor. But I knew he had very little in the way of support from this team. His first training camp was lost to injury and Jay Triano was the coach, last year was a lockout but hearing how much work he put in this summer I was looking for an improvement and we got one. I think if he continues to build on what he has done he will be an excellent player. Unfortunately it seems that Casey for whatever reason doesn't like this kid. His recent play time is out of necessity, those post game media scrums he never has anything good to say about ED unless prompted. Even last night he got very little play time. I wonder what the deal is with that.

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post
                        that made me lol
                        Me too.

Comment

I never understood the Amir-Ed comparison either. There's just no question or argument, Ed will be the better player. Traditional power forward, raw, but offensive game is far more varied compared to Amir's 5 hour, 17-18 footer... Amir is more of a hustle player, and defensively gives it to you. BUT, one place that I thought made these two guys different, was the basketball IQ.

Let's face it, Amir Johnson sometimes can be an IDIOT with the dumb fouls, and the random things he does on the floor. Compared to Ed Davis, who no doubt always does what he's asked, and rarely ever goes outside his game. I guess that's the complete difference from leaving Westchester high, compared to leaving one of the top basketball programs in UNC.

Ed Davis plays smart on both ends, quicker off his feet, solid hands, ability to finish in traffic (especially his left side, - being left-handed - where he becomes deadly), the improved jump-shot, and has added strength. He has really, really good potential. He went from being a trade chip, to a piece of our, arguably, very small core of Derozan, Ross, Davis, JV.
                          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Ed seems to have lost the stone hands and he almost never seems lost out there, on either offence or defence, unlike last year. So far this year he appears to have turned into a better player than I ever would have given him credit for. Good for Ed. He also is putting in the effort. Again, almost never see him coasting, as I did many times last year. I think he has finally gotten the message, that effort on every possession is required. His shot is dramatically improved, his confidence level is up and, as has been mentioned in this thread already, he is showing more Bball IQ. I am pleased for Ed. He can definitely be a piece moving forward. Hope he shines while Bargs is out. This will at least put pressure on Bargs and BC, and possibly lead to an advantageous trade for the Raps.

Comment

Ed Davis is the next Jermaine O'Neal.
                              “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Working...
                              X