No announcement yet.

Mike Conley w/ a quote equally relevant to the Raps as Grizz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we will be fine if lowry goes back to how he was playing pre injury. I don't remember seeing this many errant passes and ill advised shots in that pre injury stretch. The production from ed davis and derozan will increase if lowry gets back to this play, they will have space to work with, rather than jose shaving a few seconds off the clock, and handing to them with a defender in their face, that stretch in the 2nd half against brooklyn was painful to watch. Valanciunas might struggle a little more offensively with lowry back.

Comment

JB5 wrote: View Post
      Calderon is so bad defensively if anyone is saying that its better for us to have Calderon then Lowry is crazy.. The same people probably want to keep Bargs to..
      Anyone that watched the game could see they played much better without lowry and bargnani. It simple, lowry has to lead us to wins. if he cant and calderon can, so be it. Lowry is way to selfish at time. I loved him at the beginning but I dont know if he is the answer for us at pg. can he turn it around? ya, probably. but until then he should start thinking about the team and not his next contract.

Jose has proved to be a much better leader. I wish Lowry would learn a thing or two.

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
        This years team has a much worse defensive record than last year. Some of it is because of JV "anchoring" the defence (the rookie factor), and some of it is because Lowry doesn't play good team defence. Calderon is the consummate team player.
        +1

Although JV shows a lot of promises and will likely be an above average starter-quality center, I rate his defense as poor at the moment.

I agree with you when you say Lowry does not play good team defense. But neither does Jose. I believe Lowry is slightly better than Calderon overall and, being the younger of the young, I hope we will be able to resign for something in the 10-12 million per year range.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          And Bargs will win the dunk contest
          lol amen..

Comment

I think lowrys defense is fine, he just needs to stop going for steals, and focus on keeping his man in front of him. Pack it in the paint Casey style boys!

His rebounding is amazing, that in itself makes him an asset defensively.
            "Defense wins championships."

Comment

i dont even know why this is a topic.. for everyone that is saying calderon is just as good defensively as lowry and he's better out there for the raptors then lowry your crazy.. you must not have been around to watch this bum try an run our team for the past 6 years, get rid of him and that ridiculous contract and send bargs right with him.. calderon he cant play man to man, he needs his team to help him, he is so slow.. and im tired of watching bargs throw up ridiculous 3's and shooting ridiculous percentages for a power forward.. im actually just tired lol

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                ...Lowry, on the other hand, needs to recognize Conley's quote, in my opinion. I think his error is not believing in the system and not believing in his teammates. The last 2 games the Raptors are showing the system and the players are something to believe in and Lowry is the one who needs to conform not the other way around.

This is the truth. I can't believe all the revisionists claiming Jose is superior to Lowry. What was everybody saying through pre-season and in the first 4-5 games? There wasn't any of this Jose love then.

I have been one of Jose's biggest supporters, but Lowry has almost as good a shot from outside, far superior penetration ability, much better defence, much more speed in transition and great passing ability. He got hurt, has been playing through it, and his frustrations with the team have lead to him making some poor decisions in terms of putting the team on his own shoulders, and making some bad gambles for steals to try and turn the tide in different games.

With any luck, watching how the team plays when they are back in "Team" mode will help settle him down. I imagine Casey was whispering in his ear constantly the last couple of games. If Lowry is the player I hope he is, he has paid attention to the game tape the last couple of weeks.

Comment

Lowry has good market value right now. I think Raptors would be wise in trading him and in the process get rid of one of the big contracts. They could probably get back a 1st rounder as well. It just seems to me that the team needs a different point guard for the future.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                    Lowry has good market value right now. I think Raptors would be wise in trading him and in the process get rid of one of the big contracts. They could probably get back a 1st rounder as well. It just seems to me that the team needs a different point guard for the future.
                    I agree.. Other than JV (who I believe is untouchable) I think Lowry is our most valuable asset. We are in no position to compete at least in the next 2-3 years. By the time we are even close to competing, Lowry will have become a UFA (possibly asking for max to stay with Toronto) and will be turning 28-29 (and would have possibly peaked already).

I'm not sure if we need to package him with a guy like Bargnani, but he should be able to get back a nice piece that we can use to build with going forward. Jennings for example is going to be a free agent (restricted, but still).. he has made it known that he would have no problems playing with Toronto (and there would be some good chemistry with him and DeMar). I am not sure if Jennings > Lowry, but he's 3 years younger, and is a guy you can still compete with 3 years from now.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I agree.. Other than JV (who I believe is untouchable) I think Lowry is our most valuable asset. We are in no position to compete at least in the next 2-3 years. By the time we are even close to competing, Lowry will have become a UFA (possibly asking for max to stay with Toronto) and will be turning 28-29 (and would have possibly peaked already).

I'm not sure if we need to package him with a guy like Bargnani, but he should be able to get back a nice piece that we can use to build with going forward. Jennings for example is going to be a free agent (restricted, but still).. he has made it known that he would have no problems playing with Toronto (and there would be some good chemistry with him and DeMar). I am not sure if Jennings > Lowry, but he's 3 years younger, and is a guy you can still compete with 3 years from now.
                      My frame of thought: Trade Lowry along with Bargnani and net us some assets in return (picks, young players, etc.)

Lowry is talented, but he's not the perfect fit for the Raptors at the moment. I think it's best for us to get rid of all the long-term contracts and keep developing for another 2-3 years. When sh!t goes bad, Lowry's the first one out of the door, which says a lot about his character. He wants to win and win badly. Sadly, Toronto's not primed for that.

Jose, I really don't mind leaving on the team since he's an expiring contract. But if there is a deal that nets us an asset for Jose, I'd take it too. That goes for Kleiza and Fields.

If there is one player I want back, it's Eric Bledsoe. I'm not sure how that is going to happen though.
                      “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Sorry but trading Lowry right now would absolutely kill the franchise...quarter of the way into the season and we trade the guy we traded a lottery pick...We are not going to get same value.

Lowry when he came back saw his team struggle and felt like it was up to him to bring them back. you can call it selfish, but the man is trying to win games, not just pad his stats. He'll start trusting his teammates again

Comment

Checkines wrote: View Post
                          ...He'll start trusting his teammates again
                          Especially if he see's a couple of more performances like the last two.

Comment

I think Lowry is going to be fine upon return - I have nothing to base that on by the way, just saying.

Raps are 6-19. Only way I would trade Lowry is if you are getting incredible return (something better than prospects too, proven young talent, 2014 draft picks, and shedding an undesirable contract). Otherwise, why bother? Talent that can be described as better than average is desperately lacking on the Raptors, why trade that away? Only way you do it is if the return is as mentioned or there is serious injury and/or chemistry concerns moving forward.

Comment

I prefer Calderon for point guard. I said that last summer when the Nash fiasco occurred and early in this thread before the latest triple double. It's only about 30% into the season and perhaps Lowry will change my mind when he gets healthy, but after 25 games Jose is the better fit. I am talking about more wins not which player has a better reputation.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                                I prefer Calderon for point guard. I said that last summer when the Nash fiasco occurred and early in this thread before the latest triple double. It's only about 30% into the season and perhaps Lowry will change my mind when he gets healthy, but after 25 games Jose is the better fit. I am talking about more wins not which player has a better reputation.

If you are talking wins and look beyond the last 25 games, you'll see Calderon has been the predominant starter for 5 years and no playoff appearances. Lowry

Calderon is a good player but he hasn't led Toronto to the playoffs and he is only getting older.

Lowry has not been to the playoffs either but in the last 2 years he was predominant starter in Houston and they finished above .500 each season in the WEST.

Comment

Working...
                                X