No announcement yet.

Why do we want to trade Jose again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think we trade Calderon because he's done anything wrong or played poorly. It just makes sense to trade him now because he has value both as a player and as an expiring contract, and this team doesn't exactly have too many strengths from which it can trade from.

He is a solid player that half the league would consider an upgrade and this team needs an infusion of talent. Stop dragging his name through the dirt and call it like it is. We need help and trading Calderon can get us that.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      I see a lot of holes in your logic.

First off, being traded multiple times is not a reliable measure of someone's worth. Here are a list of players who have been traded at least twice during their career: Wilt Chamberlain, Shaquille O'Neal, Jason Kidd, Charles Barkley, Gary Payton, Ray Allen, Clyde Drexler, etc. All those players rank within the top 31 of all-time win shares.

Secondly, if winning championships is the ultimate measure of a point guard then what does that say about cats like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Stockton, Kevin Johnson, Steve Nash, etc. Even other greats like Gary Payton and Kidd didn't win titles until very late in their careers in largely diminished roles... especially in Payton's case.

Lastly, I never said that Blaylock and Miller deserved to be considered with the all time greats but it's ridiculous to say that they weren't, at the very least, "good" NBA point guards.

Blaylock is considered one of the best defensive point guards of all time. Fifth all time in steals per game, 12th all time in career steals and six trips to the all-defensive first or second teams in what you say yourself was an "amazing era of ball". Offensively he's top 30 in career assists and three pointers made.

Miller has been one of the most durable and consistent guards of the last 13 seasons. He's tenth all time in career assists and is still churning along. There's only five players from the shot clock era who have averaged more than 16 points, 10 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.5 steals in a single season. Andre Miller is one of them, and the other four are Chris Paul, Magic Johnson, Jason Kidd and Rod Strickland.

For what it's worth, Brevin Knight and Calderon are a level below Miller/Blaylock for me but their careers still don't deserve to be ridiculed. Not putting Blaylock/Miller with the Isiah's and Magic's is one thing but saying that they weren't good is insane. Not every team in the league can have Chris Paul or Rondo... that doesn't make the other 28 PGs around the association absolute garbage.

I never said he was a "fabulous" point guard, nor did I ever refer to him as one of the "great" ones in the league. All I said is that he's done a decent job for the Raptors this season, and more importantly, they've badly NEEDED him so far with Lowry sitting out so many games with various injuries. If you read my post again, I'm actually advocating the Raptors a) trade him if the right deal were to be presented or b) let him walk at the end of the season and use the salary cap relief for themselves. I'm not falling all over myself to give Calderon unwarranted praise or hitching the franchise to him for the next 5 seasons... I'm just being rational.

You were the one who referenced PER multiple times in the thread so I figured it was a fair way to evaulate the two. Like I said before, I don't want to turn this into a Calderon/Lowry debate, and quite frankly, I would choose Lowry in a vacuum in most cases. I just think you should dig a little deeper into both the offensive and defensive metrics for both players before trying to use them in the argument.

Once again, I never claimed Calderon was the answer. I just don't believe in shipping Calderon if the right deal isn't there, especially with Lowry's status so uncertain for the rest of the year.
      Actually, Payton averaged 28.5 mins in his first year with the heat then 22.1 mins the following year. Diminished, but not largely diminished. I dont want people to think that The Glove hung out in the NBA till nobody gave him minutes.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        Actually, Payton averaged 28.5 mins in his first year with the heat then 22.1 mins the following year. Diminished, but not largely diminished. I dont want people to think that The Glove hung out in the NBA till nobody gave him minutes.
        Payton's career averages: 16.3 ppg 6.7 apg 3.9 rpg 1.8 spg 18.9 PER
        Payton's averages during championship season in Miami: 7.7 ppg 3.2 apg 2.9 rpg 0.9 spg 10.7 PER

Maybe we're just arguing over semantics but that is what I would call a largely diminished role. Regardless, my original point was that being one of the top PGs in the league - which Payton undoubtedly was for a lot of his career - doesn't necessarily guarantee championship success. If it did then why didn't it happen before he was on the last legs of his career?

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
          Payton's career averages: 16.3 ppg 6.7 apg 3.9 rpg 1.8 spg 18.9 PER
          Payton's averages during championship season in Miami: 7.7 ppg 3.2 apg 2.9 rpg 0.9 spg 10.7 PER

Maybe we're just arguing over semantics but that is what I would call a largely diminished role. Regardless, my original point was that being one of the top PGs in the league - which Payton undoubtedly was for a lot of his career - doesn't necessarily guarantee championship success. If it did then why didn't it happen before he was on the last legs of his career?
          Michael Jordan

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            Michael Jordan
            haha
            so many people can thank mike for empty fingers

Comment

pillowmint wrote: View Post
              You are not misinterpreting, I was being Sarcastic. Can I ask, how is it that these guys are 'good to great' point guards when (with the exception of Calderon) have been traded multiple times, have boggling assist numbers, and absolutely nothing to show for it. Brevin Knight was waived by the Bobcats...waived!
              You are honestly saying Brevin Knight and Mookie Blaylock can't even be called *good* point guards?

Jesus.

Then I can't argue with you that by your metric Jose does suck.
              Last edited by Superchunk; Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X