No announcement yet.

Is Casey finally figuring things out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe the ony similiarity between sam, triano, and casey was the coaching from Bryan on how the team should play. Maybe after last week, Casey had enough gumption to shake Bryan off his leg.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
      I think Mediumcore is right. Based on Casey's track record, he will play Bargnani after he comes back from injury, even if it means costing team chemistry. And sorry you have the wrong analogy here. Knicks were doing exceptionally good when Melo was injured last year and Lin was leading the Knicks. He came back from injury and Woodson had no choice but to play him. And why wont he, Melo is the franchise player. Fans pay for tickets to see him play. ANd Woodson continued to play him even though it cost the Knicks some games. Same here. Like it or not, Bargnani is this team's franchise player. And that's what management believes as well. So yes, i think after injury, Casey will play Bargnani, win or lose, whether we like it or not.
      "Come hell or high water" may become one of those infamous statements in the annals of Raptors history along with BC's "on paper" or Vince Carters "I don't want to dunk any more."

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
        I am finding it hard to believe that the Woodson will keep playing Amar'e if they suddenly start losing game back to back. He is expected to get his touches each games like Melo. The difference with this years team and last years team is that last year, it was a very short spurt of wins. this year they are doing better than the Heat and Nets and fans are happy about that. I don't think they cares who is playing. They are there to see their team win.

And like a true professional, or because of the backlash Melo took last year after they started losing when he came back in the line up, Amar'e said he is open to come off the bench if that means the team winning ways continues. http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...e-bench-needed
        Sorry, my bad, i wasnt very clear with my argument. I do agree with you regarding Amare, i agree that Woodson would likely sit him if playing him affected team chemistry. What i was implying was your assumption that if Amare is going to sit then Casey should sit Bargs too for the sake of keeping team chemistry, is not a good comparison. What would be comparable is Melo situation with the Knicks last year.

Comment

bargnani isnt a franchise player so that doesnt make him it for our team. i dont think there is one sane fan who is paying to see him play and if management still thinks that then bc will be gone very soon. i liked bargs but its time for him to go. i hope he can find his game somewhere else and take that next step just to break colangelos heart.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
            Let us not forget that we have played significantly better with Lowry injured as well. As did all his previous teams.
            What are you talking about?

I agree that Lowry needed an ego check but we are definitly not better with him out....the honest to god difference is the fact that AB is not playing.

If a player comes down the floor and takes a 3 (or long 2) without our offense being set (which AB does all the time), a long rebound comes out and we give a transition opportunity to the other team. This means that if AB takes 15-20 shots a game, this could lead to AT LEAST 5-10 high % scoring opportunities more per game. if you couple this with the fact that he turns the ball over more than ed davis does...the way AB plays offensively makes us a worse defensive team...let alone the fact that he cannot guard well off the ball anyway.

My point is, this has nothing to do with Casey. Did he succumb to the pressure a little bit in terms of trying to make us better on the other side of the ball, yes, but a non-motivated played who shoots 15-20 times a game is a death wish.

This has been addition by subtraction..nothing else

Comment

I think Casey struggled early on this season with coaching under the pressure of expectations. Despite not having a very talented roster last year, I don't think his job was particularly difficult relative to other NBA coaches. There were zero expectations (and we've learned since that losing was almost encouraged), and Casey got to play the underdog card every night to try and motivate a young and hungry group. It's widely accepted that it's easier to coach as an underdog then it is as a favourite.

I do think the absence of Bargnani and Lowry is benefitting this group somewhat. My personal opinion is that neither of them were playing a style of basketball conducive to winning when they went down with injury. However I think losing both of them at the same time, especially coupled with the team essentially hitting rock bottom, allowed Casey to get back to his comfort zone from last season where expectations are very low.

Comment

I'm not sure Casey has had much, if anything, to do with it.

Alan Anderson has given them production at the SF spot that they haven't had all year. That's helped.

Calderon has been terrific. Amir has been very good. Davis has solidified the defence, though his offensive numbers are inconsistent.

Not having Bargnani in there eating up 20 shots a game and stopping the offense has also helped.

And, finally, you have to acknowledge that they beat a Dallas team that has been playing awful as of late; Houston played terribly and the other win was against Cleveland. One of the few teams in the NBA worse than the Raps.

Let's not go crazy here....

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  I'm not sure Casey has had much, if anything, to do with it.

Alan Anderson has given them production at the SF spot that they haven't had all year. That's helped.

Calderon has been terrific. Amir has been very good. Davis has solidified the defence, though his offensive numbers are inconsistent.

Not having Bargnani in there eating up 20 shots a game and stopping the offense has also helped.

And, finally, you have to acknowledge that they beat a Dallas team that has been playing awful as of late; Houston played terribly and the other win was against Cleveland. One of the few teams in the NBA worse than the Raps.

Let's not go crazy here....
                  +1

I was going to point this out as well, but hey, lets not spoil the fun! and whatever dignity we have left! hahaha

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                    Are you seriously trying to say that when Barg comes back, and he plays and we start losing again that Casey will continue to play him over what's been working for us? Look at Knicks. Amar'e Stoudemire said he is willing to come off the bench if it means the team continues to win. He is making way more money that Barg. If he can do it, why can't Barg. Should be winning first in my opinion.
                    I totally agree, but what I'm saying is that 1) Casey hasn't figured anything out and that the fact that he's playing the guys he is playing now has more to do with injuries than a change in his coaching philosophy and 2) it seems like playing Bargs isn't so much something he wants to do as much as it is something he is told to do. No proof of it out there, but I think he will go back to Andrea as the starter when he gets back.

Keep your fingers crossed that Bargs is traded sooner than later.

Comment

[QUOTE=BallaBalla;172599]What are you talking about?

If a player comes down the floor and takes a 3 (or long 2) without our offense being set (which AB does all the time), a long rebound comes out and we give a transition opportunity to the other team.

You have just described Lowry's entire offensive game this season so far. Long 3's with little success. Combined with terrible D and a selfish demenour.

As I have said in the past I believe he is a good player and has the skill to be a game changer, but he hasn't shown that he has the mental ability to play the PG spot effectively. He doesn't make anyone on his team better. It is very obvious by watching the way the team responds to Jose, that his style of play is better suited to this team.

To Lowry's defence, I believe he was brought in to be the guy who takes the last shot, tries to make things happen etc. but he has definitely taken that role way to seriously and it has hurt the team. He is every bit as responsible for the losing as AB, Casey, or anyone else that has had the finger pointed at them during the first 25 games of the season.

Again, I am hoping that Lowry is able to learn and thrive in a team oriented game, but he has not shown that ability yet.

Comment

Working...
                      X