No announcement yet.

Calderon to start ahead of Lowry - I don't like this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“We’ll see in the next couple of days but right now Jose is the starting point guard and has done a solid job of running the team, building trust, directing the young guys, making sure they’re in the right place.”

“He’s one of the main reasons why Terrence Ross has progressed at the right pace,” Casey said of Calderon. “He’s quarterbacked him, talked him through situations and really been a mentor for him on the court.”

These are the points that matter. If Jose is big asset in the development of Davis, JV and Ross, then that trumps all. This season is a write-off anyway and no draft pick either, so....

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      “We’ll see in the next couple of days but right now Jose is the starting point guard and has done a solid job of running the team, building trust, directing the young guys, making sure they’re in the right place.”

“He’s one of the main reasons why Terrence Ross has progressed at the right pace,” Casey said of Calderon. “He’s quarterbacked him, talked him through situations and really been a mentor for him on the court.”

These are the points that matter. If Jose is big asset in the development of Davis, JV and Ross, then that trumps all. This season is a write-off anyway and no draft pick either, so....
      This was my concern when Lowry was acquired and people were saying how much better off we are with Lowry over Nash... my rant from July 15th still stands:

This is also a concern for me with Lowry. BryCo & Co. keeps raving about the fact that Lowry does all it takes to win and yet Lowry has only ever been to the playoffs once (08-09) and he was 3rd in PG minutes behind Brooks and Alston (yes the "Skip to the Lou" that we sent out of here a few years back). I know he is not that old (although he is supposed to be a young vet on our team - usually these types of guys are praised for bringing winning experience), but is this the guy that brings us to the playoffs. I do expect Lowry to be our "best player" but does that make us the best team possible. I still can't believe the amount of people that thought Lowry was a better pick-up than Nash for this team. Yes, Lowry will put up better stats than Nash (depending on what you emphasize) but Nash makes EVERYONE else better... Lowry, from his resume, continues to make HIMSELF better. Think of the amount of guys that flourished playing with Lowry last year... Dragic? (oh yeah, he didn't play much with him, he just took over his starting job). The amount of people that owe Nash for raising their value is ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant... I actually do like the Lowry deal (we needed the change) and he kind of reminds me of an older version of Lillard (who I was in love with prior to the draft). Just don't tell me that he knows how to win or that he is better than Nash... I hope he continues to improve and mature his own game while finding a way to make everyone else better too... oh yeah and bring us back to the playoffs (not expecting much).
      This is also the reason why I would approve a trade that revolved around Bargs and Pau Gasol. Gasol is a good passing big man that will help develop JV... Bargs will not.
      “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
      ― John Wooden

Comment

After Jose's solid performance as a starter this should not even be an issue. Casey is absolutely right in saying that Jose has earned the job. Lowry should graciously back up Jose. Time for some team play.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
          I think the Raptors have much too long of a history handing a starting position to someone who has yet to necessarily earn it. Part of this is because they invest too much too quickly in players, and therefore feel obligated to do so.

Yet here we have the one guy whose earned it (numerous times no less) earning it again. I don't have a problem with it.

I also think its a good test for Lowry and how he reacts. If he reacts poorly (like he did in Houston) the team may need to get ready to ship him out. If he takes it well, then he has all rights to earn it back.
          +1. Agreed, although, to sort of argue, Kyle Lowry was brought in to be our franchise point guard (or the future point guard).
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            I think the Raptors have much too long of a history handing a starting position to someone who has yet to necessarily earn it. Part of this is because they invest too much too quickly in players, and therefore feel obligated to do so.

Yet here we have the one guy whose earned it (numerous times no less) earning it again. I don't have a problem with it.

I also think its a good test for Lowry and how he reacts. If he reacts poorly (like he did in Houston) the team may need to get ready to ship him out. If he takes it well, then he has all rights to earn it back.
            I missed this post originally.

Craiger you nailed it. Lowry's reaction to being a backup and to having watched others thrive in his absence will hopefully go a long way to determining his future in Toronto.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

All the more reason for Jose to be the back-up, cause Ross isn't starting. JV should probably come off the bench when he comes back. So Jose can be the back-up, and work with Ross and JV. Lowry can start and work with Demar and Davis. Demar has already looked more intense this year, which part of it could be Lowry.

Jose can start for the next week or so, but at the end of the day, Lowry is the better player and needs to get the lion's share of the minutes. You don't lose your starting spot because of injury. Lowry was epic before his first injury of the season, then came back too fast and wasn't the same before getting hurt again. Bring him along at a reasonable pace, but he is the starter. Jose has done a nice job of keeping the seat warm (and increasing his trade value) but at the end of the season, that is all he has done.

It is unfair to compare Jose to Bargnani, but has Jose just pulled a Bargnani 13-gamer where everyone forgets reality and starts to think he is more than what he is?
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I never get a guy getting his starting job back just because. if the team was playing this well when he left then it makes sense. If the team was awful when he played and had turned it around then stick with what works until it either no longer works, or until Lowry can prove he is can captain the ship as well.
                Deadallus

Comment

The team is playing well because Bargnani left not Lowry. make no mistake about that.

Comment

Deadallus wrote: View Post
                    I never get a guy getting his starting job back just because. if the team was playing this well when he left then it makes sense. If the team was awful when he played and had turned it around then stick with what works until it either no longer works, or until Lowry can prove he is can captain the ship as well.
                    Look at what Lowry was able to do before he got hurt. First 3 games, 21-8-7, 28-8-8, 22-5-7. Even after coming back not fully healed, he has managed to average 16-6-6. Jose has cracked the 20 point plateau only twice and is averaging 10-7-2. Jose has earned to play minutes, but he hasn't won the starting job. So really tell me, who is the better PG?

Jose's time has come and gone, it's time for Raptors fans to accept that and stop trying to annoint him the savior or starter.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                      The team is playing well because Bargnani left not Lowry. make no mistake about that.
                      It doesn't matter why the team is playing well. It does matter that the team is playing well. If it is(playing well), why disturb it?
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

In the long run, I doubt this much matters. The team is playing okay at the moment and winning games and, since this season is supposed to be about winning more games, I think you have to stay with Calderon for now. The fact is that this team is simply not that good and they'll come back to earth pretty fast, then you can drop Lowry back in.

Craiger makes the key point which is that Lowry wanted out of Houston in very similar circumstances. If he reacts poorly, it's another issue they don't need.

The thing that kills me right now is that they've won 5 of 6 with: Lowry out; Fields riding the pine; and JV injured. So, basically, all of Colangelo's additions this offseason have been total non-factors and the team is now winning without them. Hilarious.

Comment

I think it's a testament of how hard are young player work. They've all improved their game.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I like the competition.

As much as we fans like to talk about the point guard controversy of Ford vs Jose. As far as I recall, we were relevant back then. We made much to do about nothing. That is how a good team should function, players should be pushed for minutes by their peers.

I hope we have more controversies at other positions.

Comment

Fine by me.

If Lowry can't stow his ego, and wants out, then let him out. Dont need that on the team. Players need to accept their role. If the team wins with Lowry coming off the bench, then so be it.

If he can earn the spot back, then he can earn the spot back. I can't see what it's so difficult, if he really is the player that we think/like to believe he is.

Casey is doing the right thing. Easing Fields back in, and same with Lowry. Both have been out for a while, nothing wrong with easing them back in.

Should do the same thing with JV too when he gets back.

No need to worry. If Lowry is what we think he is, he will earn it back no problem, and JC, as much as I love him, will be shipped by the trade deadline.

If he's not, then we've avoided a potential future disaster again.

Comment

Does anyone think we should have just signed Uzoh and forget about John Lucas? just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X