Bargnani on the way out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    I think what Matt is trying to say is that if we could trade Bargnani in a package for Millsap or any other player who would be a free agent in the off season, why wouldn't we just amnesty him and use that cap space to sign said player instead of having to include other players/assets to make the trade work. Which I fully support btw.
    Thank you for the translation!

That is exactly what I was saying.

It makes no sense to give up any assets to trade Bargnani from a BASKETBALL perspective. A financial perspective is a much different story but unless the finances relate to a basketball advantage, I don't care if MLSE swallows $23M on Bargnani.

Comment

Id have no problem with Bargs amnestied accept for the fact that if there are possible trades out there that give us a decent return then i wouldnt. The amnesty is a trade chip and by that i mean we could trade for a bad contract and a high pick packaged together and would be able to get rid of the over paid player. It gives us more "flexibility." Im not saying it would be a bad idea to use on Bargs, but it sounds like there is some interest around the league in him. My realistic hope is to get a 2014 first round pick and hopefully a role bench PF or C, because if there was another front court injury we could be in a bit of trouble.

A side note, imo 2014 mid to late (14-20ish) pick is just as good as a late lottery in 2013...

Comment

Burnit482 wrote: View Post
        Id have no problem with Bargs amnestied accept for the fact that if there are possible trades out there that give us a decent return then i wouldnt. The amnesty is a trade chip and by that i mean we could trade for a bad contract and a high pick packaged together and would be able to get rid of the over paid player. It gives us more "flexibility." Im not saying it would be a bad idea to use on Bargs, but it sounds like there is some interest around the league in him. My realistic hope is to get a 2014 first round pick and hopefully a role bench PF or C, because if there was another front court injury we could be in a bit of trouble.

A side note, imo 2014 mid to late (14-20ish) pick is just as good as a late lottery in 2013...
        Bold: Yes, clearly this is a much better alternative. The premise of amnesty discussion was no such deal was available. Apologies if that was not clear.

Underlined: That is not how the amnesty works. Teams can only use the amnesty on players that were under contract prior to the lockout. You cannot trade for a player and use the amnesty on him. You can buy him out but he'll still count towards your cap and you'll still have to pay him. Only players Raps can use amnesty on are Bargnani, Kleiza, and Amir.

Comment

In an ideal world amnestying Bargs would be the way to go, but the bar for free agents looking Toronto's way is set at Hedo. If we can finish this season strong you may get a couple other free agents looking our way, but realistically a player like Milsap will probably want to play for a winning team first and then an American team in the same situation as the Raptors second.

I'd be more than happy if BC can actually court a prime free agent, but seeing as how he hasn't been able to do that in the years he's been here my vote has to go for the trade route. BC can clear all the cap space in the world, but it's not going to mean anything if you can attract players.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            In an ideal world amnestying Bargs would be the way to go, but the bar for free agents looking Toronto's way is set at Hedo. If we can finish this season strong you may get a couple other free agents looking our way, but realistically a player like Milsap will probably want to play for a winning team first and then an American team in the same situation as the Raptors second.

I'd be more than happy if BC can actually court a prime free agent, but seeing as how he hasn't been able to do that in the years he's been here my vote has to go for the trade route. BC can clear all the cap space in the world, but it's not going to mean anything if you can attract players.
            Approaching the new super luxury tax world, it has never been more true that salary cap space can be used for more than free agents. Raps can take on significant salary in a trade.

Now I've been saying this for the better part of 2 years and it has proved to be an exercise in futility so who is to say that will not continue.

Comment

Bargs at this point is a big ball and chain. Normally, amnesty candidates are players that have bloated contracts and are extremely unproductive. For Bargs, yup, bloated it is. He can score however, which makes an amnesty move that much trickier. HOWEVER, if it does involve Lowry, I wouldn't even entertain it for a second. Send him away at all costs.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Andrea Bargnani, Toronto: Bargnani tore some ligaments in his right elbow and has been out of action since Dec. 11. The word is that the injury did not require surgery and that an extensive rehab was all that would be required to get Bargnani back. The problem with that concept is Bargnani isn’t exactly the hardest worker in the league and the expected window of sometime in January seems more like late January or early February.

League sources say it would be almost impossible to move Bargnani and the three years and $32.25 million remaining on his deal until he returns and proves the elbow isn’t going to be a problem.

It is clear that Toronto will explore moving Bargnani once he returns to action, and the hope is that return is sometime in early February so teams can get a good look at Bargnani before the February 21st NBA trade deadline.

The Raptors want to dump the salary associated with Bargnani and are not seeking much in return for Bargs. Sources close to the Raptors say they have several players they would consider taking on – a shopping list of sorts – and most of them are players radically out of Toronto’s reach unless other assets are packed in.

The Raptors have been linked to Lakers big man Pau Gasol, Milwaukee’s Ersan Ilyasova, and Denver’s Wilson Chandler; however, Raptors sources warn taking on a ton of long-term salary is not what they are looking for in a deal unless it’s exactly the right player.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-few...QXhpUW0KLsD.99

First bold: no shit.

If any of the second bold is true, wow, BC looks really stupid with two things: 1) his handling of Bargnani period, and 2) his constant talk over the years of his high trade value.

Third bold: that is at least some good news. That new luxury tax cannot kick in soon enough for me and hopefully Raps will have cap space to benefit from another team's shallow pockets.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  First bold: no shit.

If any of the second bold is true, wow, BC looks really stupid with two things: 1) his handling of Bargnani period, and 2) his constant talk over the years of his high trade value.

Third bold: that is at least some good news. That new luxury tax cannot kick in soon enough for me and hopefully Raps will have cap space to benefit from another team's shallow pockets.
                  At this point, I'd rather take a Pau Gasol than to let him walk with the $32.5 Mil as an amnestied player. What a disaster for BC. He will not forget Bargnani for a long time - especially at the unemployment line next year.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    At this point, I'd rather take a Pau Gasol than to let him walk with the $32.5 Mil as an amnestied player. What a disaster for BC. He will not forget Bargnani for a long time - especially at the unemployment line next year.
                    I would take Gasol if he was available purely for the ability to flip him to Minnesota. I would roll the dice on Williams (which I know you would not mind either, lol) as well as get a competent back up in Ridnour and Pekovic to keep or flip as well. It is well known MInnesota wants him and if the Raps trade just him in the transaction all is good. Minnesota might also have $5M in cap space soon enough should Roy seek a medical retirement.

Comment

I'm not saying they wont but 'amnesty' is something management has been clearly reluctant about. The fact that they chose not to do it last off-season clearly proves it. BC mentioned the possibility of doing it a few times but ended up not doing it. Speculation but it seems like ownership did not approve.
                      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                        I'm not saying they wont but 'amnesty' is something management has been clearly reluctant about. The fact that they chose not to do it last off-season clearly proves it. BC mentioned the possibility of doing it a few times but ended up not doing it. Speculation but it seems like ownership did not approve.
                        The amnesty speculation over the summer was all about Calderon.

I hope Bargnani is tarded and the only use of the amnesty is Kleiza when he picks up his player option.... but if Kleiza can be traded as well, then that is just gravy.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                          Amnesty is a card you would usually pull if you need immediate cap space in that off season. If Nash said yes to Toronto, then Bryan would have used the amnesty on Jose to free up cash.

So I don't think it was an ownership decision, I think it was Bryan's. If the Raptors are interested in going after a free agent in the summer than I could see them amnestying Bargnani.. otherwise I just see them looking for another asset via a trade.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Amnesty is a card you would usually pull if you need immediate cap space in that off season. If Nash said yes to Toronto, then Bryan would have used the amnesty on Jose to free up cash.

So I don't think it was an ownership decision, I think it was Bryan's.
                            Very good speculation.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                            X