X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest part about this guy is his likability

Comment

BasketballCrush wrote: View Post

Lebron James was a quarter of himself in his first year, some even questioned the hype half way through that season and he was as full proof a talent as they ever get.
      http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/...6/lebron-james
      21pg, 5.5 rbs,5.9 dimes and he was 19 years old. i would say the hype was right and no one questioned or wondered what was coming.

jv has been great this year. i remember last year while we dreamed about him we kept getting his euroleague game stats here and some games were great and others he also had issues. i was one who said 10 and 10. a couple games this year i thought he was kept out of games longer than needed or not put back in when i thought he should have. i actually think his numbers could be marginally better than they are but i am not the coach.

i wasn't expecting a shaq like entrance but i would have loved one. he has been great and with him and ross i would say we have 2 of the best first year players this year.

Comment

RE: Lebron's first year

I don't know, I remember it differently. This was a quarter into the season, I remember having a conversation at work with another basketball aficionado saying he was not all that impressed with LBJ considering the hype he got that year.

Remember him being hot one game, and having a lot of games where he would score 10 points or less on 40 minutes of work, which for a player of his talent is puzzling.

3 here in October to start the season, I am not going to list all the bad games.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=231101022
        http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=231114002
        http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=231105005

but for the most part remember him having a lot of 5/17 nights, with really awful FG% and horrible shot selection, not very efficient at all. He was getting tons of minutes and had control of the ball so the ppg that year never impressed me that much, he really wasn't that good in his first year. Lots of poor decisions, forced shots he really did not come on as a player till much later in the season.

I remember Lebron struggling with how the game was played at the NBA level, maybe it was for a short time, but never the less, I remember that he did. So to me its a good example illustrating that even talent of the caliber of a LeBron James will have a learning curve when entering the league.
        Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 1, 2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I don't know, I remember it differently. This was a quarter into the season, I remember having a conversation at work with another basketball aficionado saying he was not all that impressed with LBJ considering the hype he got that year.

Remember him being hot one game, and having a lot of games where he would score 10 points or less on 40 minutes of work, which for a player of his talent is puzzling.

3 here in October to start the season, I am not going to list all the bad games.

but for the most part remember him having a lot of 5/17 nights, with really awful FG% and horrible shot selection, not very efficient at all. He was getting tons of minutes and had control of the ball so the ppg that year never impressed me that much, he really wasn't that good in his first year. Lots of poor decisions, forced shots he really did not come on as a player till much later in the season.

I remember Lebron struggling with how the game was played at the NBA level, maybe it was for a short time, but never the less, I remember that he did. So to me its a good example illustrating that even talent of the caliber of a LeBron James will have a learning curve when entering the league.
          haha. i remember ricky davis. funny seeing his stat lines. not saying you don't remember what you remember but even in these games his assists rebounding steals and blocks make up for his shooting woes.

sorry to do this but do you guys remember when ricky davis tried to get his triple double by shooting at his own net. haha what a bonehead.

man is jv ever coming along nicely(ties in with thread)haha

Comment

jv ross or davis rivers now?

still davis for me but how far ahead of rivers ross is, is making this a tougher and tougher call. come on jv lets get a couple rookie of the month awards to end the year.

Comment

Lebron James had an elite rookie season and has since gone on to be one of the best players ever. The hype was clearly justified.

If a 6'9" 250lb 19 year old comes into the league, thats strong enough to cover PFs yet can play PG while putting up a rookie year thats comparable to Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird doesn't impress, you are one hard man to impress

Comment

Happy New Year guys,

Concerning his lower FT percentage I think this has something to do with his psychological issues. He was very consistent last year, and I don't believe that it is possible to forget how to perform an free throw shot. It's going to be OK after he gets used to new environment and when the pressure will dissapear. His potential wasn't used last year in LRytas because of bad coach they had, and this year everyone in that organization admits that, so far it's pretty same story up here (not saying coach is bad, hehe), very few touches from PG's. Although it's alright as long as he's rookie I believe. I'm not very happy with his current performance, as I know how good he can be a.t.m. offensively (not defensively).
                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

JV has been great to watch. It sort of feels like he's from one of those fighter movies when the guy doesn't reveal that he's a south paw until the last round when he goes to work. We've been seeing almost everything but all of those roll to the rim dunks we spent all summer watching on youtube. There have been a few but I think there are more in store.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                    Lebron James had an elite rookie season and has since gone on to be one of the best players ever. The hype was clearly justified.

If a 6'9" 250lb 19 year old comes into the league, thats strong enough to cover PFs yet can play PG while putting up a rookie year thats comparable to Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird doesn't impress, you are one hard man to impress
                    LOL, I don't know about elite. He had a good rookie year, but he struggled badly with his shot selection. His FG are 70 points lower than his career average, and 130 points lower than he shoots today.

The way I looked at it, was look at how good Wade and Roy were entering the league from the get go. These guys did not have the size, or the hype, but IMO outplayed LBJ in their rookie years. Sure LBJ ppg average is a bit higher, but he had 1500 shot attempts that year to their 750 (in their respective rookie years). Not to mention that Roy played on a competitive team to get that.

Hate to break it to you but even though LBJ rookie year passed the sniff test, he was far from the elite player he is today. He struggled and often made horrible decisions.

Which is why I made the point in the Val thread, even the great ones need to adjust. (It wasn't to put down LBJ as a player)

EDIT: It's also important to note that I am trying to contrast what LBJ was to what he is today, so that we understand that it does take time. Not saying that LBJ is a bad player or a poor rookie, he was not, but compared to what he became, he obviously had a learning curve.
                    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Tue Jan 1, 2013, 12:50 PM.

Comment

One thing you forgot to mention that lbj was 18 at the begining of his rookie year, it wasnt really a huge factor in the roy voting, but it probably was kn the back of the voters heads

Comment

Exactly he came out of high school. Again, my point as it relates to Valanciunas is that even the cream of the crop need to adjust. People should not judge this kid too early, from what I have seen there is a lot to be excited about.

Comment

I just can't understand how Drummond might have better seiling. He's so limited compared to JV that I don't even know where to start. At the moment he gets away with being more NBA ready and more NBA used to (lets say), but even now he still looks like worse player. I really hope I'm right, and most Raptors fans still have no idea here what you guys have here in Valančiūnas in a long run. On other hand, JV is a winner and he openly declared his goal is NBA title. That probably means other team after rookie contract isn't it?

Comment

BalticGiants wrote: View Post
                            I just can't understand how Drummond might have better seiling. He's so limited compared to JV that I don't even know where to start. At the moment he gets away with being more NBA ready and more NBA used to (lets say), but even now he still looks like worse player. I really hope I'm right, and most Raptors fans still have no idea here what you guys have here in Valančiūnas in a long run. On other hand, JV is a winner and he openly declared his goal is NBA title. That probably means other team after rookie contract isn't it?
                            Don't worry, you are right, Drummond will have nothing on JV.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

JV is a first ballot hall of famer

Comment

Working...
                              X