Bosh & LeBron Leaning Towards Extensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosh & LeBron Leaning Towards Extensions

Nothing official of course, but a decent read courtesy of HoopsWorld where they discuss how things may of changed as of recent with Bosh and James intention of shopping themselves elsewhere this summer. Great news for Raptors fans.

It shouldn't be too surprising that two of the gems of the 2010 free agent class – Chris Bosh and LeBron James - are starting to waffle on their commitment to go shopping this summer and are sending out signals that a contract extension might be the best answer.

At some level, we all want to believe that winning matters most. That our heroes and favorite star-level players want to win and be in situations to win – however the NBA is a business first and as we've seen over and over, players go where the dollars are first and very few players leave money on the table.

Chris Bosh is off the trade market. Sources close to the situation say not only is he happy with the direction of the franchise, but that he is open to doing a new deal in Toronto, something the Raptors are more than willing to do.

Cleveland's LeBron James is playing some of the best basketball of his life and the Cavs are rolling through teams. Sources close to that situation say if the Cavs can make a major trade that brings in the believed 'missing piece' the Cavs might also get James' signature on an extension, well before New York, New Jersey or Miami has a chance to give their free agent pitch to him.

Why the change in course? Maybe it's the appeal of staying in a situation you know and control. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown. There has been a lot of "doomsday" talk regarding the labor front, things like a radical reduction in salary cap, a radical reduction in maximum salaries, even a lockout.

Next year's unknown will affect this year's free agents. Mainly because teams that would be trying to build a winner around a LeBron or a Bosh may not be able to get all the pieces in one shot and with the rules looking to change pretty dramatically in the next 16 months none of these guys are willing to drop their current teams to get marooned in a new situation.

Keeping Bosh in Toronto and LeBron in Cleveland will be major wins for both franchises. It will also change the landscape of July's free agent class as the team's hoping to steal one or both may have to start looking at the next names on the list and Memphis' Rudy Gay and Atlanta's Joe Johnson may see a lot more interest if Bosh and James ink deals before July 1st.

Neither player has an extension in hand, but you can bet after the dust settles on the NBA trade deadline those talks will resume as it seems both players are at least open to the idea, something neither seemed remotely interested in back in October.
    Source - Click here

I dont get the logic of seeking an extension vs. a long term deal. Doesnt the current cba expire after the 2011 season? Considering that the owners are gungho to have a major overhaul (in their favor) including a flipping of the percentages of the current split of revenues, why would these players jeopardize a drastic cut in their take-home pay by waiting till after the cba dust settles for a long term deal? Unless I am missing something fundamental here.

Comment

I'm not sure what you're asking Bendit. An extension can be signed for up to 6 seasons (including remaining seasons of current contract). I'm not an expert, but I believe that means Bosh picks up his player option next season and then gets another 5 years at the max. So how would Bosh be waiting until after the cba dust settles if he signs an extension?

Comment

@Marz...for some reason I was fixated on a short term type extension. Thank you.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure what you're asking Bendit. An extension can be signed for up to 6 seasons (including remaining seasons of current contract). I'm not an expert, but I believe that means Bosh picks up his player option next season and then gets another 5 years at the max. So how would Bosh be waiting until after the cba dust settles if he signs an extension?
          That would probably make him more money as well given his option year is probably worth more than his starting year on a new contract.

Comment

No problem Bendit. And as apollo says extensions make Bosh more money because he'll be starting at 17 million as opposed to 16 million. When you compound that with 10.5% raises each year, it makes quite a difference.

Comment

LJ, D-Wade, CB4 - Going to, take the money and run.

Really what did everyone really think would happen? No one leaves $30m behind.
              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                No problem Bendit. And as apollo says extensions make Bosh more money because he'll be starting at 17 million as opposed to 16 million. When you compound that with 10.5% raises each year, it makes quite a difference.
                If Bosh picks up his option, maybe under the new CBA deal, teams won't be able to sign for 6 years and for a big percent the max players. I think Bosh, Wade and LeBron should sign with their deals before the new CBA kicks on, I have a feeling that the owners will get their way and these max players will not get a sweeter deal.

Comment

Bosh can pick up his option and sign an extension, I think.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                    Bosh can pick up his option and sign an extension, I think.
                    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what would happen if Bosh wanted an extension. We're just left wondering why BC hasn't offered the extension yet. Perhaps he doesn't want to give him 10.5% raises per year?

Comment

I think Bosh needs to pick up his option first. I think the ball is in Bosh's court.

Comment

I disagree. No way Bosh picks up his option until he sees an extension offer on the table. Think about it. Bosh picks up option, no extension given, player lockout in 2011. Not good business for Bosh. I'd wait for BC to offer the extension, pick up my option, and then sign on the dotted line.

Comment

My point was that Bosh needs to let them know he wants to come back. Something tells me Colangelo hasn't forgotten about Bosh being on a contract year.

Comment

IIRC Bosh doesn't need to pick up his option first per se... if he accepts an extension then it's tacked on to the option (i.e. extension part starts with 2011/2012 season)

Comment

How can you extend something that doesn't yet exist? Pretty sure the only way he can sign an extension and keep those $17M he's guaranteed next season is to pick up his option. Otherwise he would have to opt out and then sign an extension. Either way I think his decision on the option is where everything hinges.

Comment

Working...
                              X