No announcement yet.

Colangelo: Bargnani misunderstood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think it's a selfish way of thinking. Bargnani should have been traded years ago and any delay to it is a delay for the team from becoming serious players in the NBA. His value is low, but that's BC's fault for not trading him when the iron was hot.

He simply is not a type of player that any team should ever build around. Players that lack fundamental skills native to their position cannot be the cornerstone of a franchise. It just cannot work in this market.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I don't think it's a selfish way of thinking. Bargnani should have been traded years ago and any delay to it is a delay for the team from becoming serious players in the NBA. His value is low, but that's BC's fault for not trading him when the iron was hot.

He simply is not a type of player that any team should ever build around. Players that lack fundamental skills native to their position cannot be the cornerstone of a franchise. It just cannot work in this market.
      Absolutely. And to expand on that, whats to say his value will go up? Whats to prevent his value going even lower?

There are no shortage of stocks that make all time lows, and people who don't sell because the price of the stock is too cheap find out the hard way that additional new lows can alway be found.

Its time to cut the losses and move on.

Comment

I agree completely.. to expand for people who think Bargnani's stock couldn't be any lower.

It sure can. He could break his leg and be out for the year. He could demand a trade. Sam Mitchell could keep talking.. next thing you know, Triano pipes in with comments of his own. He could play decently and work his way back into the rotation, he could stroke BC's ego, or dig him deeper into the world of unreality. Regardless of if he's scoring 12 points per game or 25 points per game, this team will not be a serious competitor in the NBA as long as Bargnani is the centerpiece.

Then someone will say "B-b-b-but hold on mister, what if he's not the centerpiece and still scoring 25 points per game?". The answer to that is simple: The ends will NEVER justify the means. 25 points per game and how much given up? How many shots taken to generate those points? How many second chance points given up because he didn't grab the board? I tell you now, Linas Kleiza does everything that Bargnani brings to the table for half the cost and he actually cares. The fact that everyone including myself has expressed the desire to use the Amnesty on Kleiza tells you how important Bargnani is to the future of this franchise. I'd trade Bargnani and STILL use the Amnesty Kleiza. That's how much badly we need a guy of that particular skillset (e.g.: not at all).

Friends and colleagues, this is the time to trade Bargnani. The second he can clear a medical he should be out the door.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

I think at this point to deal Bargnani you are looking at taking back some other team's undesireable contract. The question is can you find a player who can give a better fit than you can get with AB, even if he stays and comes off the bench.

These are the types of deal I see that might be available.

AB / JC to NY for Amare...

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7bu437x

(No thanks)

AB / Kleiza / Lucas to Phoenix for Beasley, Wes Johnson, Gortat

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bav3vtw

Colangelo could maybe rob the Suns blind (again), but if we are getting Gortat, they are probably going to want Ed Davis, or someone better than this deal offers

AB / Amir to Sactown for Salmons, Jason Thompson, Aaron Brooks

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bkxyuh4

meh...

I would love to see Gortat in a Raps uniform, and swapping Beasley for Bargnani brings much of the same scoring potential, and lack of any other contribution.

Based on these types of options, I would rather let Bargnani play off the bench, allow Calderon's deal to expire at the end of the season, try to move Kleiza for anything of value (or any expiring contract), continue with a centre rotation of Amir, JV, and Gray, and move forward with the current core of Lowry, Demar, ED, JV, Ross etc.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
            What if Bargs comes back, buys in, and plays out of his mind the rest of the year? Will people still want him moved?
            That is exactly what I want to happen. He plays well, boosts his value, we move him.

Comment

Working...
            X