Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demar skipped New Years to watch Game Footage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demar skipped New Years to watch Game Footage.

DeMar DeRozan has now officially shattered every stereotype imaginable of today’s young professional athlete.

New Year’s Eve turns into New Year’s Day and everyone knows the kids are out at the clubs or someone’s house, right?

Practice for that day is long over, there’s not another game for two days, the benevolent dictators who run things around the Raptors schedule a rare mid-afternoon practice on Jan. 1 so that the kids can go out and have their fun.

DeRozan?

He’s a 22-year-old lad, with wealth and fame and notoriety beyond his wildest imagination and surely some A List event is beckoning.

DeRozan?

He’s in bed most of the night. Watching videos. Of himself. Playing basketball. So he can get better.

For real.

“New Year’s? I was watching film that night,” DeRozan said Thursday. “I probably watched film for about two hours. A lot of my mistakes, a lot of my decision-making, a lot of little things like that.”

No, DeMar. We’re talking New Year’s Eve here.

“New Year’s night. Right after they said Happy New Year,” he said. “It was about 1:30 in the morning until about 3 in the morning. I was just laying in bed and watching. I’m just trying to better myself at every part.”

The conversation post-practice got to that point because DeRozan is dead certain that his improved play overall is directly attributable to his improved study habits. He spends countless hours, he says, critiquing himself on a television screen because that’s what the true greats do and it’s finally hit him than if he wants to be elite, he has to emulate those better than him.

Source
    I love you Demar. So very much.

So is DeMar the anti-Vince?

Maybe not as talented, but he has got the work ethic and dedication for sure. The kid just loves basketball.

Comment

DeMar DeRozan will be the first raptor lifer
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

DeMar has really grown.

Anyone else noticing he is no longer attempting to hang longer than the bigs and doing the push shot (which is either blocked or missed completely)? He is taking the ball strong and actually shooting. Also, he is protecting the ball going to the rim - almost like a running back. Finally, he had a FANTASTIC drive against Portland. I think it was towards the end of the third quarter, he turned the corner fairly slow and then exploded to the rim. He actually missed the layup but just the use of the change of pace/speed was very impressive.

All of that was offense of course. Defense is another matter.

Still not willing to say he is worth the contract. Still disappointed the leverage and flexibility in the first week of July with trades was lost.

Despite that, very pleasantly surprised with DeMar on O this season.

Comment

only if all the raptors were like derozan....

Demar has improved all aspects of his game this year!

One thing he can improve on more is his pick and roll play when handling the basketball. He has to be more decisive!!

Great talent and hope too see him grow to an elite player!!

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            DeMar has really grown.

Anyone else noticing he is no longer attempting to hang longer than the bigs and doing the push shot (which is either blocked or missed completely)? He is taking the ball strong and actually shooting. Also, he is protecting the ball going to the rim - almost like a running back. Finally, he had a FANTASTIC drive against Portland. I think it was towards the end of the third quarter, he turned the corner fairly slow and then exploded to the rim. He actually missed the layup but just the use of the change of pace/speed was very impressive.

All of that was offense of course. Defense is another matter.

Still not willing to say he is worth the contract. Still disappointed the leverage and flexibility in the first week of July with trades was lost.

Despite that, very pleasantly surprised with DeMar on O this season.
            Really? I've found his defense a lot better than last year. I wouldn't call him a great defender but he's at least become an average defender IMO.

Comment

I'm starting to see where those 10 million came from.
              Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                Really? I've found his defense a lot better than last year. I wouldn't call him a great defender but he's at least become an average defender IMO.
                In the sense that he has shown flashes, I agree he has improved. The consistency is not there though, in my opinion. I still don't think he is what you could call an average defender. Just my opinion though - maybe I should start paying more attention to his defense before I can 'defend' my opinions with true convictions.

Also, since we are talking about improvements, should have mentioned his rebounding.

Comment

Has no one noticed the defensive improvement either though? He seems to be more locked-in defensively off the ball. Although, that wasn't really the case coming into the league, because that's what his strengths were when drafted. Defending off the ball.

Anyways, I feel his on-ball defense has come miles compared to last season, although LOTS of room for improvement. Fundamentals still aren't there. He doesn't get into a 'stance', hands are to the side, and reaches far too often.

But, he seems to have done a better job in keeping his man in front, and really that's all we can ask for now.

Offensively, just spectacular.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                  X