Gay to debut for Raptors on Sunday [Post #727]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Actually Memphis would be saving a lot still with DD. He is owed $9.5M a year.. where as Gay is owed about $17 just next season and it goes up the year after. That's about $8M a year savings and they get a nice young wing that can duplicate a lot of what Gay does. It's not a bad deal in my opinion.

Problem is is any trade has to work for salary based on this season. So if demar makes like 4 million this year raptors would likely give up another 12 million in salary going to Memphis. But next season his contract increases by an additional 6 million so after this season they wouldn't have saved any money even if we gave them Jose's expiring contract. So what would memphis want more? Rudy gays contract and harsh tax, or Demar's contract and harsh tax?

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
      Problem is is any trade has to work for salary based on this season. So if demar makes like 4 million this year raptors would likely give up another 12 million in salary going to Memphis. But next season his contract increases by an additional 6 million so after this season they wouldn't have saved any money even if we gave them Jose's expiring contract. So what would memphis want more? Rudy gays contract and harsh tax, or Demar's contract and harsh tax?
      Rudy gay is owed a very large sum of money next year.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
        Rudy gay is owed a very large sum of money next year.
        My point was Demar's contract is a poison pill between this year and next year. Which means that any money memphis may save this year by trading gay, they'll just owe again next year because of the increase of Demar's contract.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Ed Davis is second on the team in PER and his 5th youngest. It's hard to fine a big with his motor and nose for the ball. Out off those bigs you name only one of them that averaging a double double(JJ Hickson). We saw Ed our play him last week.
          Acy is #1 in PER, followed by Lowry.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2013.html

Raptors winning streak is a function of Jose, a steady Demar, and a great Bench. Actually .... a terrific Bench (aided by the return of some key players in that group). Amir has been a part of that as well - even taking it to another level in his Starting role. Ed is doing no such thing. He's had his moments, but his weakness gets exposed against Starting Bigs. Ed is simply too small to match up.

Our stats have been good during this stretch, however Points in the Paint is a weakness. If Jonas comes back first, I'd move him in, and Ed out of the Starting line-up. Shift Amir over to the PF spot for that coupling, then back to Centre when playing with Davis.

Comment

Ed Davis is averaging 11.5 Pts 7.2 Rebs 1.5 Ast 1.0 Blk 0.8 Stl .560 FG .655 FT as a starter
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Ed Davis is averaging 11.5 Pts 7.2 Rebs 1.5 Ast 1.0 Blk 0.8 Stl .560 FG .655 FT as a starter
              Damn good numbers if you ask me.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

+1. I definitely don't see why we need to move Ed...

I'd take Rudy Gay, but depends on who we have to give him up for.

I really love our core of Davis, Ross, DeRozan, Lowry, JV. I think they could be competitive with the right people around them. I also really like Amir too, would love to keep him also.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Davis isn't even that good. Besides, there are plenty of PFs to chase in free agency this summer who could easily step in and make us forget Davis ever existed. E.g.

- Josh Smith
                  - Taj Gibson
                  - Elton Brand
                  - Jason Maxiell
                  - Carl Landry
                  - David West
                  - Paul Millsap
                  - J.J. Hickson
                  - etc.
                  +1

That's a great point there's no point on hanging on to an easily replaceable player of it means we can get someone like gay in my opinion...I would prefer to send Amir though

Comment

What the hell is with all of you with hard on's to make a trade. What happened to rebuilding and growing together? Why let go promising young talent when what is returning isn't that exceptional. Sorry but why lose our cap flexibility for a couple more wins.

Exception is Bargs, but I wouldnt mind if he comes off the bench and see what he can do with the second unit then send him off. What this team needs a couple of solid vets, good locker room guys and go into the summer and proper evaluate what we do have.

=

Comment

• Rudy Gay dream over?

Doug Smith reported this morning that the asking price for Rudy Gay is too high and so it doesn't look like it will happen:

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...y-beckons.html

Not game specific, that’s for sure, but according to a highly-placed source, any chance of the Raptors picking up Rudy Gay in a trade are diminishing rapidly and it’s less and less likely something will happen.

The reason?

The asking price is far too high.

As I mentioned last week, the players most coveted include the likes of Jose Calderon, Terrence Ross and one of the young bigs – and I know Valanciunas’s name has come up in conversation – and I would suggest Bryan should have no interest in that kind of chatter.

Gay’s a good player – he’s a definite upgrade on what they have now – but if it’s such a steep price that it robs you of your assets, it’s not worth it.

All it does is make you different, and not necessarily better.

So you can put the chatter on hold for now; I’d say it’s 5-95 at best that they even have more serious discussions.
                      If Memphis wants Jose, Ross and JV for Gay then they can go F! themselves.

Comment

• I hate to say it, but I think Toronto can no longer afford to be in a rebuilding mode. Jose will be gone by end of this year. Either by a trade or through free agency. That leaves us with Lowry running the point with no clear successor to him on the roster. If Lowry isn't happy he'll just walk after next season, so we sort of have to start thinking about making a serious playoff push next season don't we? We can't afford to not make any moves and just wait for the young core to develop.

With that in mind I think I would be willing to give up Jose, and ONE of Amir/Ed/Ross/DeMar as well as a future draft pick, for Rudy Gay, or Jose and ONE of Amir/Ed and ONE of DeMar/Ross and no draft pick.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Doug Smith reported this morning that the asking price for Rudy Gay is too high and so it doesn't look like it will happen:

+1

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Agreed. I'd giveup Calderon, DeRozan and Amir/Davis, but I wouldn't giveup Ross or Valanciunas.

Comment

• Grizz are reportedly asking for a young SF + a draft pick for Gay.

So how about, DeRozan + future pick for Gay?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                                Grizz are reportedly asking for a young SF + a draft pick for Gay.

So how about, DeRozan + future pick for Gay?
                                That wouldn't be a terrible deal. But I guess we can only offer a 2nd (unless we know we keep the 1st at a future date)

No trading V or Ross. And I cannot believe I'm saying this about hands of stone Davis, but i would be reluctant to part with him now. Another summer, another bulk up program, he could have a pretty high ceiling. Good for him.

Comment

Working...
                                X