Cleveland, Memphis, Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleveland, Memphis, Toronto

Thinking about something somebody said on the main board about Cleveland as a good landing place for Gay, and I'm wondering how the Raptors can take advantage of it. So here's my proposal:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=bdzhuqw

I imagine Cleveland also giving up first-round picks to both Toronto and Memphis. Toronto gets the Cleveland pick with maybe top 5 protection; Memphis gets the Sacramento pick, which is roughly top 12 protected for the next few years.

Memphis gets some good pieces for a playoff run this year (particularly Calderon, who should work well with their bigs), and clear off a load of cap space. Between Gibson, Casspi, and Walton, they can basically have whatever they think will be the most use for them in the playoffs this year, with Toronto taking the others.

Cleveland gets two talented players who are at least on paper, well-suited to one another. With a core of Irving, Waiters, Gay, Bargnani, Thompson, and Varejao, all locked up for the next three years, they're in potentially good shape to take a big step forward.

Toronto gets a good young C to pair with JV in Zeller, Cleveland's potential lottery pick (finally, two Cs and two PFs), and get down under the cap for offseason flexibility. Leaves us thin at PG for the rest of the season and Casspi and Walton are basically useless to us except as expirings, but this basically gets us out from Bargnani's contract and ensures we get something useful from Calderon before he expires. (And depending on how things work out for him in Memphis, we can make an offer to Calderon in the offseason.) And we'd still have ample cap-space to make another move, once we amnesty Kleiza.

This trade makes no sense from the Cavaliers perspective.

The Cavaliers would trade their only natural center (Zeller) to acquire another PF? They already have a PF (Thompson and Andy) playing significant to major minutes at the center position every game.

The Cavaliers would acquire another wing (Gay) who duplicates (only better) Waiters skill set? Sure Gay is better but is too expensive for his production.

The trades trading away two first round picks? The Cavaliers are building to be in a position to be competitive in 2014-15 and beyond and I can't see them trading very high picks for a terrible contract (Gay) nor for a player (Bargnani) who does not play a position of needs.

Bargnani would make sense of he could play center and be a good help defender. His jump shooting ability is something the Cavaliers could use but unfortunately he does not meet the other two criteria.

As to Gay, I doubt the Cavaliers will show any interest unless it's for something really cheap like expiring contracts (Mr. Air Ball Luke Walton) and minor assets.

Comment

Working...
    X