Over Hyped Athletes Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Hyped Athletes Rant

Hey guys, so for English class i have to create and present a rant on a topic of my choice. I decided to go with over hyped athletes seeing as it truly annoys me when an athlete gets "over hyped" without even having done/accomplished anything yet. I wanted all of your opinions on what current athletes are over hyped and why you think so. I need some ideas on who to use, try to include other types of athletes as well, not only Basketball.

Jeremy Lin, because nobody knew he could play

Most 1st overall picks are overhyped because they get the "#1 pick" attached to them everywhere they go for the rest of their careers

Tim Tebow had a lot of hype at one point, but is known as a pretty bad quarterback right now (I've only heard this, i don't know squat about football)

Comment

Rick DiPietro of the Islanders definitely. Bust as a 1st overall pick in 2000, then they signed him to a 15-year deal out of nowhere
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I already got Jeremy lin down but that Rick DiPietro is a good one

Comment

Mike Weir. Maybe, not so much anymore. But, the guy truly sucks and he's popular because he's Canadian and he managed to win a green jacket. It seems it was basically a fluke,now. Yet,you ask most people to name a Canadian golfer and I bet they name him.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

jeremy lin because of his ethnicity first and foremost. (2nd and 3rd are b/c he went to a small school for basketball (harvard) and the lack of notoriety he had coming into the league). He doesn't get that large contract extension if his skin wasn't yellow, bottom line.

Sorry I can't help with the other stuff, only a basketball guy.

Comment

Why don't ten people just mention Jeremy fucking Lin, already!

Geez, guys. Be creative why don't you!?
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Joe Johnson

Comment

Tim Tebow? LOL. Jk.

Hmmmmmm. In the league right now, (other than Jeremy Lin), I would have to say Austin Rivers.

Austin Rivers was the #1 player in High School basketball as a senior, and was the most highly regarded player in North America. He had a scholarship straight to Duke, an NBA legend coach/player as a father, etc. Went to Duke, and was the number 1 option in his freshman year only, and really showed his potential in big moments i.e. game-winner vs. UNC (still awesome play to this day).

Now in the league, reality and the NBA has hit him hard, rarely seeing the floor, the weakness of his left hand is being shown, his defense is being played with, not to mention Rivers is known by observers/scouts as an over-confident player.

A lot of things sort of handed to him, but never really delivered to all the hype. Really, really high potential, but high, high risk as well.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Also, a couple other names are Deon Phaneuf, Amare Stoudemire, Roberto Luongo (I live in Vancouver, known to only perform in the season/ Also, fans know when bad months and good months are. November, December area usually sub-par. - basically a hockey LeBron James {excluding the 2012 finals}).
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Maybe talk about some athletes that got massive contracts and just flopped hard right after.

Rashard Lewis comes to mind.

Comment

Red and White wrote: View Post
                        Maybe talk about some athletes that got massive contracts and just flopped hard right after.

Rashard Lewis comes to mind.
                        Maybe, Kevin Garnett, because he was known as one of the best players and could not get it done on his own.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          Maybe, Kevin Garnett, because he was known as one of the best players and could not get it done on his own.
                          Whooooooooooooaaaaa there....

Kevin Garnett carried the Timberwolves for 12 years on his own. He never had another star alongside him in Minnesota, this is obviously a big reason for their playoff failures. What player has ever done it on his own? Even the greatest player ever couldn't.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                            Whooooooooooooaaaaa there....

Kevin Garnett carried the Timberwolves for 12 years on his own. He never had another star alongside him in Minnesota, this is obviously a big reason for their playoff failures. What player has ever done it on his own? Even the greatest player ever couldn't.
                            Yeah,but, Jordan never left. He was committed to the Bulls. Also, Jordan has six rings,KG has one. Also, were talking about "over-hyped" not "over-rated". There is a difference.

I'll tell you, though. He was definitely overrated in NBA live 06. Dude was rated 99! Hahaha

Oh, I got a good one. Baron Davis. He was always better than average. But, a poster featuring Andrei Kirilenko kind of over hyped him for a while there.
                            Last edited by LBF; Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:29 PM.

Comment

i already presented it. using Lin as a main example, thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                              X