Westbrook 'struggled' against Calderon's defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westbrook 'struggled' against Calderon's defence

I was struck by what the Oklahoma City Thunder's bloggers had to say in their post-game wrap-up:
    http://www.welcometoloudcity.com/201...rs#add-comment

First, they complemented Jose's defence - which we do too rarely on this site:

"The only OKC player who saw any sort of struggle was Russell Westbrook. Matched up against the equally big Jose Calderon and forced to play a half-court game, it definitely wasn't the type of ball he normally flourishes in. But given his circumstances, I'd say that he performed admirably."

Then, they complemented Casey's lineups - which again we don't see too much of:

"Another thing I might point out about tonight's game is that the Raptors really don't have such a thing as "starters" and "bench". It's more like "Team A" and "Team B". In other words, the Thunder allowed a huge run in the second not because of any inherent weakness, but moreso because Alan Anderson and Kyle Lowry were playing against the Thunder bench, rather than Mickael Pietrus and Jose Calderon. It's a wily move by Dwayne Casey, and one that allowed his team to take a five point lead in the second quarter."

It's refreshing to see other people appreciate what we have ...

I saw the same thing too but for only a short time. Was nice to see. But then Westbrook turned it up an notch and Jose seemed lost. But how about those Wizs? They took OKC down on final play by the Rookie to win their 5th of the season. Just never know.

Comment

okc didnt play to their strengths during most of that game. it looked like one of those cases where an allstar team comes to play the raptors and they think it will be a cakewalk and just dont play with their normal intensity.

i cant blame them though because they pretty much walked over the raptors last time without putting in much effort.

Comment

I agree with you. And last nights game against Wiz will serve as a wake up call to them to never take it easy on a lower standing team. What how they play from now on. That was a crazy game.

Comment

I wouldn't say Westbrook struggled against Jose...he was probably more paralyzed by the lack of defense he was seeing

but what they say about team A and team B is bang on. that's been the character of our team for a couple of years now. It's funny how they make it seem like Casey did this on purpose, but he really has no idea of what his actual 8-9 man rotation should be....so he plays 10-11 guys in the first quarter and goes with what works

Comment

I wasn't that upset with how we played the Thunder. They have two star players, a massive size advantage, a good deep bench, and a great coach. The fact that we kept it close as long as we did is a testament to our improvent and the strength of our bench. It would have been nice to win and see Demar rise to the challenge for once, but overall I don't think we played all that bad. Right now we are going to struggle against any team that has bigs that have size and work hard, only having Amir and Ed limits what we can do.
            "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

could it have been that he (westbrook)was hesitant how to attack the different personnell that casey threw out their with calderon? He had no problems with calderon in the 3rd, and that was when the game was blown wide open.

Comment

Westbrook wasn't struggling. He was too busy breaking the defense down and finding his teammates for wide open shot.

I will say this though, the Raptors did a good job coming back in transition defense to prevent him and Durant from getting those easy fastbreak points that they usually get.

Comment

Working...
                X