Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors making a STRONG push for Rudy Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Reuben they compliement each other extremely well, Ross will always have a better shot than DeRozan thats his natural skillset he has coming in and now he can temper that skill down the road. Ross has a much slimmer frame he can get stronger but he is your typical shooting guard build he wont be bulking up that much, saying Ross is better is unfair especially when you bring up how hard DeRozan works every year on his game, Ross is lucky to be on the same team where there is a guy who plays your position that is a hard worker like DeRozan hopefully he takes up some of his habits and apply to his own development.

that aside I think a line up of Rudy Gay and DeRozan would actually be very good, having 2 players that comand help D is a good thing... a 1,2,3 punch of Lowry,DeRozan & Gay sounds really good if you ask me.

Comment

Derozan didnt develop quick at all...its taken him this long just to be Good..hes never going to be great..Demar doesnt finish well at all like Reuben suggests. we see it over & over with Demar Driving Flinging his arms up begging for a call not getting a call or the bucket. Demar's been a starter for 4 years & is hardly better then Ross.. give it a season or two & Ross will be 10 times the player Demar is...Hes already better then Demar IMO

Comment

DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
        Demar doesnt finish well at all like Reuben suggests. we see it over & over with Demar Driving Flinging his arms up begging for a call not getting a call or the bucket.
        I don't mean anything by this, but .. have you been watching the games this year??

I only ask because Demar is converting 65% of his shots at the Rim this year.

Not only that, but he really hasn't been complaining to the refs at all this season.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
          A lot of people seem to have an ideal sense of what they want in a shooting guard. Ross is your typical shooting guard (Athletic, shooter, defender.) While Derozan is near to that unorthodox type, which includes guys like Ginobili, Bryant, and Wade - NOT comparing the talent, but the game.

Derozan is a slasher, low/high-post player, mid-range, athletic player. He's not your typical shooting guard. Just because Ross can do some things better than Derozan, doesn't necessarily mean he will be better down the road. Derozan is better than Ross at finishing, creating in the paint, stronger. And, the excuse is "Ross is going to get stronger and better down the road, which means he'll be better." That's not the case, because when saying that, most are assuming Derozan won't get stronger, won't improve the shooting, won't improve the ball-handling. (Which he's improved in all of those very well/quickly.)

I'm tired of hearing the Ross will be better than Derozan stuff, why can't we just be happy we have both? Ross and Derozan compliment each other when on the court at the same time. Plus, I'd rather have a sketchy defender and a good defender (Ross, Derozan) over 2 sketchy defenders any day (Gay, Derozan).
          I'm a bit confused by this. Ginoblili and Bryant are both very atletic, good shooters and defenders, so to say DeRozan is more like them doesn't make sense. I agree that DD is an unorthodox SG though.

Also, I don't know why everyone thinks DD is a slasher. I always thought slashers were guys whom move well without the ball and the ones receiving passes for easy buckets. I don't think DD moves well without the ball and can't remember the last time he was the recipient of pass for an easy bucket at the rim (could just be me confusing what slasher means though).

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            I'm a bit confused by this. Ginoblili and Bryant are both very atletic, good shooters and defenders, so to say DeRozan is more like them doesn't make sense. I agree that DD is an unorthodox SG though.

Also, I don't know why everyone thinks DD is a slasher. I always thought slashers were guys whom move well without the ball and the ones receiving passes for easy buckets. I don't think DD moves well without the ball and can't remember the last time he was the recipient of pass for an easy bucket at the rim (could just be me confusing what slasher means though).
            Perhaps "slasher" in this case means, "I don't have a reliable jumper, so I need to get closer to the rim any way possible".

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Perhaps "slasher" in this case means, "I don't have a reliable jumper, so I need to get closer to the rim any way possible".
              But doesn't it usually imply slashing to the rim to receive a pass? He only gets to the rim when he is driving with the ball in his hands. When he doesn't have the ball in his hands he's pretty stagnant isn't he?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote:
                and can't remember the last time he was the recipient of pass for an easy bucket at the rim (could just be me confusing what slasher means though).
                According to Basketball Reference, 42 of his 78 makes at the Rim were Assisted. So I'd say it happens fairly regularly.

Comment

Demar is a lot more active off the ball when Lowry is playing along side him, Lowry possibly driving makes the defense have to respect the offense of our backcourt more equally.

Calderon was never al that great at setting up players like Demar. DeRozan even has the ball in his hands more with Lowry as PG to get his ast numbers up.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    I don't mean anything by this, but .. have you been watching the games this year??

Not only that, but he really hasn't been complaining to the refs at all this season.
                    ya i have been watching & everytime Demar drives & gets any kind of pressure he flings his arms looking for calls he rarely gets..& everytime demar hits the floor, throws his arms up & bitches to the refs, quite a bit of times leaving his man to run the floor the other way with NO body on them..Ive seen it happen regularly..albeit less during the recent team success.

im glad u put a link to the stats you use for derozans efficiency at the rim...if u look on the same site stats for T.Ross youll see hes converting 69% at the rim as a Rookie...Soo the one thing Demar is good at T.Ross is Better at
                    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/

Comment

I would not go that far but I agree with your post and the complaining is certainly less than the past.

Comment

According to Basketball Reference, 42 of his 78 makes at the Rim were Assisted. So I'd say it happens fairly regularly.
                        But does that include open breaks and lobs? In half courts sets I don't remember him as moving well without the ball...like say for examle Landry Fields early in the season when he seemed to get a few buckets each game with those baseline cuts.

Comment

ya i have been watching & everytime Demar drives & gets any kind of pressure he flings his arms looking for calls he rarely gets..& everytime demar hits the floor, throws his arms up & bitches to the refs, quite a bit of times leaving his man to run the floor the other way with NO body on them..Ive seen it happen regularly.
                          Disagree with this. All of it. Not what I've seen at all.
                          Last year this may have been the case, but not this year. Not from what I've seen.

im glad u put a link to the stats you use for derozans efficiency at the rim...if u look on the same site stats for T.Ross youll see hes converting 69% at the rim as a Rookie...Soo the one thing Demar is good at T.Ross is Better at
                          http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/
                          I don't really want to get into comparing the two of them, as I'm a huge supporter of both guys.

But just to play your game here.. Terrence Ross' Strength is shooting from distance, ya?
                          And yet Demar is far better shooting from 10ft-15ft, and 16ft to the 3pt line (Combined Demar is at 39.6%, compared to Ross 32.8%). And on top of that Ross's 33% from 3 is nothing to brag about.

Again, don't get me wrong, Love me some TRoss and have supported him from the minute he was picked, but this whole notion that Ross makes Demar expendable is ridiculous in my opinion.

Comment

...but this whole notion that Ross makes Demar expendable is ridiculous in my opinion.
                            I suppose this statement might be true if we look past this season, and project yearly improvement in Ross's game.

If Ross turns into a legit shooting guard, and Gay is acquired via trade, then I would certainly conclude that DeRozan is expendable.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I suppose this statement might be true if we look past this season, and project yearly improvement in Ross's game.
                              I'm inclined to agree.

Comment

Nilanka wrote:
                                If Ross turns into a legit shooting guard.
                                My point being that Demar has already turned into a legit Shooting Guard. In my opinion.
                                And could very easily translate these skills to the 3-spot.

If anything, Demars play of late has made Rudy Gay expendable...(though Rudy's play hasn't helped any). Their numbers are basically a wash, with Demar coming in slightly more efficient.
                                Last edited by Joey; Thu Jan 10, 2013, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X