Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zach Lowe Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Oh boy. RT @geoff_calkins: Lionel on analytics: "I'm trying to still figure out when the Oakland Athletics have won a world championship."
    Zach Lowe Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

Lionel Hollins going on anti-stats/analytics ramage weeks after Hollinger/Levien/Lash front office takeover is...interesting.
    Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA

To be clear: I think Hollins is a good NBA coach. These comments might suggest a personal unease with what is going on around him. Who knows
    Interesting.

Comment

• A deal with Toronto that would include Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon might be attractive, considering that Bargnani makes $7.1 million and $7.8 million less than Gay over each of the next two seasons and Calderon's $10.5 million contract expires after this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/2...-winning-taxes
      No chance in hell it ever happens, but could you imagine Gay coming to TO for AB/JC? Raps could use MLE to resign Jose in the off-season - lol.

Comment

• If that trade went down BC should get an extension right after it official.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          If that trade went down BC should get an extension right after it official.
          +1
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Rudy Gay is having a clutch performance tonight against the Spurs wow incredible.

Comment

• Im watching SA vs MEM and Gay looks real good! One huge block and clutch shot in overtime. They get the W. When he elevates for his jumper it's impossible to block. I still would hate to give up ED with the way his playing. I would the AB/JC in a heartbeat though. Too bad we don't have any picks to offer.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Just wanted to say that this has been a great thread, and most likely will continue to be that. Some really good thought by all, regardless which side you fall on in this debate.

I know that sometimes playing devil's advocate is frowned on, on message boards, but it does help to get a clearer focus when it comes to disecting the subject.

I have been really impressed guys, bravo.

Comment

• I believe i saw this on The score actually, it is also on bleacher report but we all know how reliable that actually is...

Comment

• http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/01/w...-rudy-gay.html

"The Raptors are reportedly making the hardest push for Gay of any team. The Warriors, Suns, and Kings have also shown a great deal of interest in making a trade for the seven-year veteran.
                    "

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                      http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/01/w...-rudy-gay.html

"The Raptors are reportedly making the hardest push for Gay of any team. The Warriors, Suns, and Kings have also shown a great deal of interest in making a trade for the seven-year veteran.
                      "
                      That link is still basing everything off of Stein's post a few days ago.

If we do a scorecard of what has come out in recent days:

Warriors: not interested unless Biedrins or Jefferson included - nope.
                      Wolves: rejected offer.
                      Suns: Dudley and picks.
                      Kings: interested.... no wait, they are not. Who knows? SI says no, ESPN says yes.
                      Wizards: Proposed a 'good package'.... supposedly.
                      Raptors: no doubt interested.
                      Nuggets: no
                      Rockets: no
                      Clippers: Butler, Bledsoe, picks.

Then you have this:

Yes, everyone gets it. The financial situation is untenable. Something will ultimately have to be done. But ultimately does not mean this season. Ultimately does not mean this team should not get one final chance to see how far it can go.

If management makes a deal before the trade deadline, it had better be darn certain the swap makes the team better this year. Because messing with the Grizzlies now means messing with something that has taken a decade to build. It means messing with nights like Friday night.

It was a spectacular night, and not just the ending, though that certainly helped. The Grizzlies defeated the San Antonio Spurs in overtime, 101-98, evening the season series at one win apiece.

But this wasn't just a single win. It was a demonstration of everything this team has been about. And it was a cautionary tale for anyone who would try to remake a team that the city has come to love.

So it was that Lionel Hollins went on the radio Friday morning and said that he'd like to keep the team together at least this year. He then reiterated his position before the game.

"I like my team, we're 23-10; why would I want to break up a 23-10 team?" he said.

OK, but did he tell management his thoughts on the matter?

"I talk to them about a lot of things, but that's their call," he said. "If they didn't hear about it this morning, they'll hear about it tomorrow when you write a big, glorious column and I'll get the notes (Saturday) when I'm in Dallas and I should have kept my mouth shut."

Hollins wasn't being testy about any of this, just matter-of-fact. But this was the backdrop to a game that felt less like a game than a referendum on what the Grizzlies should do next.
                      With all the kicking of tires, I would expect the Grizzlies to do nothing before the trade deadline. Draft night? Another story.

Comment

• It's off topic, but if Toronto could somehow get Bledsoe from the Clippers I'd be beyond happy. He looks like he could be next years version of what James Harden was to this year and I've been a fan of his game since he returned from injury last season. I realize we have Lowry for another season, and they have similar games, but Bledsoe is on another level and is going to break out in a starting role next season.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          It's off topic, but if Toronto could somehow get Bledsoe from the Clippers I'd be beyond happy. He looks like he could be next years version of what James Harden was to this year and I've been a fan of his game since he returned from injury last season. I realize we have Lowry for another season, and they have similar games, but Bledsoe is on another level and is going to break out in a starting role next season.
                          If we are talking PG's, I like Trey Burke at Michigan..... now we are really off topic.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            (Facepalm)

So Gay who has an individual defensive rating of 99 (which is like awesome) is a horrible defender because the team is 98.8 (which is like 2nd best in the league) when he is off the floor.

Gotcha.

That mediocre bitch.
                            I think his point was more that team performance affects individual. While Gay's DRTG might seem high, his team's is actually higher overall and several players on his team are higher. So in his case, it does not necessarily indicate he's a good defender. And I don't think anyone would suggest he is a bad defender. I think the stat suggests what is pretty much agreed on: he takes nights off on D.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I think his point was more that team performance affects individual. While Gay's DRTG might seem high, his team's is actually higher overall and several players on his team are higher. So in his case, it does not necessarily indicate he's a good defender. And I don't think anyone would suggest he is a bad defender. I think the stat suggests what is pretty much agreed on: he takes nights off on D.
                              How do you come to that conclusion if the stats show he's not a bad defender?

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                It has been suggested and emphatically stated by many in this thread.

golden's reply was very clear in showing cherry picking of stats while also shooting his argument regarding Gay in both feet.

Your reply is interesting. Gay has a tremendous defensive - better than LBJ in fact. Yet because his team's is better (by 0.2) and several players on the team have a better rating this is an attempt to discredit his defensive abilities. He plays 37mpg on the 2nd best defensive team in the NBA.

Your last sentence is a reach and a generalization of your opinion. That is cool though because it is your opinion after all. It is a shame the stats do not agree.

There have been lots of comparisons of DD's and Gay's offensive stats. Why has no one posted the other side of the ball comparison?

Comment

Working...
                                X