No announcement yet.

Chisholm sums up reality of any Rudy Gay deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a bit early to predict Ross' trajectory, and I don't know how hard he works. However, I tend to think that a Ross-Gay combination works better than a DeRozan-Gay one. It is more balanced on both ends of the floor (and with the salary cap).

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
      Why are you so high on Ross?! I mean he's got some nice tools with the dunking, 3 point shot and defence, however his poor handles and inability to create his own shot has limited him & there is a big IF to overcoming all that.
      That is why.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        I think its a pretty sweet deal, we could throw in pietrus or gray to sweeten the pot
        Actually, just realized that if AI picks up his $16.2M option (which would seem likely) the Nuggets are likely going to be a tax team next year. If they made this trade, next year they are not just a tax team, they are deeeeep in the tax. While AB might make sense from a bball perspective, I don't think it would work financially.

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
          It's a bit early to predict Ross' trajectory, and I don't know how hard he works. However, I tend to think that a Ross-Gay combination works better than a DeRozan-Gay one. It is more balanced on both ends of the floor (and with the salary cap).
          I agree with the Ross/Gay combination being the one that works better in principle, but the only problem is that Ross is a few years of experience away from being ready to contribute the way DeRozan is now. Not sure if the team would want to take on Gay's salary for the next two years and not be able to maximize wins during that time by putting Ross next to him in the starting line up.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Thinking more about Gay and I really don't see him being traded before deadline.... could be wrong but I can't see it as they have been building this for so long, they really should give it one last shot.

I still like Gay on the Raptors - but not for anything that includes JV or Ross.

Hopefully Raptors can acquire some more assets to entice Memphis draft night or in the summer. Wilson Chandler would be a good start. Any trade for Gay is not going to be equal on talent due to his contract. Chandler would be a nice starting piece for a trade package. I think he regains form and, due to increased PT, it would happen sooner in Toronto. The key, of course, is not giving up too much to get WC.
            It's funny you mention that... I had floated a 3-way trade in the offseason that was along these lines:
            - Davis/Amir to Denver for Chandler (to backup Faried at PF, and they are set on the wings)
            - Calderon & DeRozan & Chandler to Memphis for Gay & Selby (DD & WC effectively replace Gay & Mayo, while Calderon is $10M savings)
            - Gay & Selby to Toronto

I worry that Memphis has lost interest in DeRozan because his new contract no longer represents a significant enough savings from Gay.

I fully agree with not giving up Valanciunas or Ross, but would be happy with any other Raptors being on the trade block right now, with improving overall talent level for the long-term being the goal.
            Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• More from Ford's chat:

Robbie (Memphis)

Chad, what do you think Memphis will do with Rudy Gay? Keeping his contract after this season is impossible to do! Assuming they resign Tony Allen and guys like Wayne Ellington, keeping Gay will cost the Grizzlies a fortune. What do you think will happen?
              Chad Ford
              (1:12 PM)

Based on Lionel Hollins' recent comments disparaging advanced statistics and arguing that the Grizzlies need to keep Gay - he must feel like the Grizzlies are going to move him. Seemed like a direct shot across the bow of new Grizzlies exec John Hollinger. If there really is a mandate from ownership to stop the financial bleeding, Gay is the best asset they have move ... and there is a lot of interest. I think he's gone.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford
              Maybe the asking price comes down? I'd do Calderon and ED in an instant. Both those guys have high PER's which should be pleasing to Mr. Hollinger and the trade would get them under the luxury tax.... if not throw in Selby or someone and they are there.

Comment

• Sounds like great chemistry between Hollins and Hollinger...

Comment

• Source with a team interested in Rudy Gay: the Gay-for-Jared Dudley/Michael Beasley deal was leaked in order to

generate more offers from around the league. The response when other GMs heard about the offer was, "Hey, we can do better than that." The Grizzlies, if they are going to move Gay, want a young SF on a smaller contract and a draft pick. The Wizards, as has been reported, will not put Bradley Beal in the deal and can only offer players (Trevor Ariza, Emeka Okafor) who would save the Grizzlies from incurring the super luxury tax in two years, not a luxury-tax hit this summer. Same goes for the Warriors, who would have to include Richard Jefferson or Andris Biedrins, both of whom have player options for next season that they're expected to keep.

http://sulia.com/channel/san-antonio...source=twitter
                  The Grizz might not move Gay before the Feb. 21 trade deadline, but rest assured he'll be dealt before next season. (Or maybe it'll ultimately have to be Randolph if it's not Gay). If new management opts to give this core one last shot at a long playoff run, it'll be because it couldn't swing a palatable deal before the deadline, not nostalgia.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...-reserve-picks

Comment

• The Grizzlies, if they are going to move Gay, want a young SF on a smaller contract and a draft pick
                    not down with a Rudy Gay trade but Fields technically hits all 3 criteria.... young, on a smaller contract and used as a SF.

Comment

• The criticism once aimed -- appropriately -- at LeBron James for not fully utilizing his physical gifts is why Rudy

Gay is considered vastly overpaid at $16.4 million (a deal that goes up to $17.8 million next season and $19.3 million in 2014-15), never has been an All-Star and is considered expendable by the Grizzlies. He's listed at 6'8" and 230 pounds, which is about as outdated as James' 6'8" and 250 pounds. I get why guys want to be listed as smaller than they are -- it makes their lack of game and aggression around the rim a little more acceptable. I've seen Gay standing next to David Lee and Carl Landry and he's every bit of 6'9" as they are and carries at least Lee's 240 pounds and maybe Landry's 248. Athletically, he's comparable to LeBron. So why isn't he a double-double machine, triple-double threat and vaunted defender? Why does he average less than a block a game for his career? The presence of Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol doesn't explain it as much as the fact that Gay is not discernibly proficient at anything. He has no post game, he's an inconsistent three-point shooter and I defy you to tell me what his go-to move is. Thinking about how gifted he is and what he's doing with those gifts is depressing, so I'm going to stop. But for those wondering why he would be available or why the entire league isn't falling over itself to acquire him, don't put it merely on the money. This is his seventh year in the league and I don't see what he does appreciably better now than when he came into the league. Pundits love to crush Josh Smith, but he puts out twice the effort that Gay does and has added plenty to his game. And, for the record, I didn't start this note with the intention of killing Gay -- it just came out of me as I thought about who he is compared to what he could be. 8 minutes ago

http://sulia.com/channel/la-sports/f...source=twitter

Comment

• The reality of any Rudy Gay deal: none may happen because *don*don*donnnn* Z-Bo may be the one traded!

Alex Kennedy: Source says that the Memphis Grizzlies may keep Rudy Gay, and instead trade Zach Randolph to the Houston Rockets. Houston loves Randolph. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Bill Ingram: Houston may have found their big man if the Grizzlies really do decide to trade Zach Randolph. Limited interest in Gay. Twitter @TheRocketGuy

Comment

• Memphis will be fucked if they trade Z bo. That post presence will be half gone

Comment

• Trading Randolph might be just what Gay needs to get a change to develop his game. He'll need a stretch 4 or start playing at the 4 himself (or is that a stretch).

Comment

• Trading Z Bo would be incredibly dumb he and Gasol are so deadly downlow, sure Z-Bo has health issues but I would much rather part with Rudy Gay, good Bigs providing solid post presence win games. If I was in charge of Memphis I would look at the record I have andkeep the team together I dont see why they are bother with a trade. Pay the tax!

Comment

• WindhorstESPN Brian Windhorst
                                Just filed to ESPN: Cavs & Grizzlies are in talks on a deal that would send Marreese Speights & Josh Selby for Jon Leuer. Picks involved

and this wold end the Grizz luxury tax situation and likely gay trade talk until offseason.

Comment

Working...
                                X