Kings to Seattle spells opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kings to Seattle spells opportunity

Just throwing it out there, but was thinking if the possible sale of the Sacramento Kings to the Seattle based owners goes through they may follow a common path of stripping their team down to a bare minimum. I beleive this is usually done in order for the new owners to take on the least amount of salary obligations, give them the best shot at a foundational draft peice to build around in the subsequent draft (in this case wiggins), and allow them to start fresh with their own picks, free agents etc.. Teams usually try and acquire as many small contracts and draft picks as possible so this should mean a fire sale for the Kings.

Really the only things the Raptors could offer them which would be of any interest are players on rookie scale contracts, $$ and our first round pick in the 2014 draft. Since we will very likely have no shot at Wiggins it might be someting the Raptors look to offer Sacramento in exchange for some talent. Though Cousins is a talent I personally wouldn't want any part of him, but if the Raptors were to trade one of Amir or Ed Davis in the proposed trade for Rudy Gay and if AB is indeed a "lock" to be traded or amnestied then we would be a bit short handed at PF.

I was really high on Thomas Robinson going into last years draft and though he has not played up to expectations I'm still super high on him. He has a great motor, was an incredible leader in college, hard worker and has a passion for winning. Any thoughts on trading our 2014 first round pick for T-Rob or for that matter is there any other player on the Kings roster which you think might be worth trading for?

I'd be willing to take a chance on Cousins. It's hard to ignore that kind of talent.

If Rasheed Wallace can mature enough to help win a title, anyone can

Comment

That raises a good point. Cousins can easily be ranked in the top 5 of Centres category and if his game continues to develop the way it has he could be top 2 as soon as next season. He gets 20 & 10 easy. However I don't know if JV could slide to PF and more importantly the Raptors don't have anyone on the team that Cousins would come in and respect enough to listen to right away. He seems like he needs to be on a Boston, New York or OKC where there are guys he can look up to and help keep him in check.

It's been a long time since we've had a distinct edge in the front court though, and Cousins along side Ed or JV would give us that edge in almost any match up (exceptions might be OKC, and the L.A.'s)

Comment

If we were to acquire Cousins, I wouldn't hesitate to make Jonas expendable.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I'd be willing to take a chance on Cousins. It's hard to ignore that kind of talent.

If Rasheed Wallace can mature enough to help win a title, anyone can
          Cousins has been better on and off the court of late, and I think his status on the trading block has been greatly exaggerated. I'd be very surprised if the Kings dealt him.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            Cousins has been better on and off the court of late, and I think his status on the trading block has been greatly exaggerated. I'd be very surprised if the Kings dealt him.
            Agreed. I don't think Cousins is going anywhere either. This is just a hypothetical discussion imagining that the new Kings owners want to blow up the team.

Comment

I don't think Cousins will be moved unless there is a big all-star type talent coming the other way (like Rondo for example). Plus Cousins is still on a rookie deal so any moves will be tough. I've also read that the team doesn't want to give away its best core piece before the ownership change.

As for the fire sale.. the Raptors are still in rebuilding mode - at least they are still developing young talent. It doesn't make sense for the Raptors to give away their young pieces for veterans. Plus Sacramento doesn't really have very good veteran talented players. If Sacramento was looking for a first round pick than Toronto doesn't even have one that they could offer.

Comment

only player I want from them is Tyreke
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...n-for-business

They are also pretty much unanimous that Cousins, despite his three suspensions just this season and occasionally toxic personality, is off-limits right now, barring a blow-your-mind offer that isn’t coming — and can’t really come, anyway, since Cousins makes only $3.88 million this season. Teams over the cap wishing to take in Cousins’s salary would have to send out a similar amount, and a salary at that level on its own will not bring a fair talent return for Sacramento. It’s possible for Sacramento to add another player to a Cousins package to beef up the outgoing salary, but going that route entails either taking on considerable long-term money, dumping everything for a big expiring contract, or building a three- or four-team deal to send some of that salary elsewhere — all things that require ownership input.

The issue is moot, anyway, if the Kings are determined to keep Cousins, and everyone agrees they are — for now.

Comment

I would make Val available if Cousins was on the table. They are going to want draft picks or young talent in exchange. I like Val, but Cousins is an All Star talent in the East. Val...maybe.
                    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      only player I want from them is Tyreke
                      Surely, you jest.

Comment

Well looks like the sale just went through, so the Maloofs no longer have a say in the matter since they have no ownership what so ever.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/225541/Report_Kings_To_Be_Sold_For_$525M_Maloofs_Complete ly_Out

The new owners could try to build around Cousins, but considering what a head case he is they might want to start fresh. Plus Cousins, like him or not, is talented and would only add to wins which would take Seattle out of the Wiggins lottery (or diminish their odds). You know how the NBA likes to hand number 1 picks out to new franchises (case and point New Orleans landing Davis). All they have to do is lose and Stern will take care of the rest.

Comment

So....nobody interested in T-Rob?

Comment

c_bcm wrote: View Post
                            I would make Val available if Cousins was on the table. They are going to want draft picks or young talent in exchange. I like Val, but Cousins is an All Star talent in the East. Val...maybe.
                            character matters. no sense having an "ALL STAR" if the other 14 players on the team hate his guts
                            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                              Surely, you jest.
                              I suspect he has been misused

Comment

Working...
                              X