No announcement yet.

Doubting Derozan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the last four years, remember, end of December to end of January is when his struggling comes. From rookie year, to now it seems, the guy struggles during this time..

As much as he has his struggles, and as well as Jose has been, the team has rarely been calling his name on offense recently, which quite frankly is bad. Derozan should be the number 1 option offensively, and should have his name called early, and consistently throughout a game. I might be the only one that noticed he had to create any offense for himself. Quite frankly, that's not the player he is.

Running the floor, post-ups, off-ball screens, pin-downs, P&R ball-handler. He had to literally create straight from scratch, and he just isn't that player.

BUT, he IS soft. He needs to start trying to dunk everything, or at least use his body. Tries to dodge contact way too often. I'm a physical player, I incidentally kneed someone in the mid-section going up for a layup. He's 6'7, 230+ pounds, and athletic. Get into the guy!
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      For the last four years, remember, end of December to end of January is when his struggling comes. From rookie year, to now it seems, the guy struggles during this time..

As much as he has his struggles, and as well as Jose has been, the team has rarely been calling his name on offense recently, which quite frankly is bad. Derozan should be the number 1 option offensively, and should have his name called early, and consistently throughout a game. I might be the only one that noticed he had to create any offense for himself. Quite frankly, that's not the player he is.

Running the floor, post-ups, off-ball screens, pin-downs, P&R ball-handler. He had to literally create straight from scratch, and he just isn't that player.

BUT, he IS soft. He needs to start trying to dunk everything, or at least use his body. Tries to dodge contact way too often. I'm a physical player, I incidentally kneed someone in the mid-section going up for a layup. He's 6'7, 230+ pounds, and athletic. Get into the guy!
      *tweet* Offensive foul!

edit: i suppose i could have bolded almost the entire message and said that
      Last edited by Machine; Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:15 AM.

Comment

FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        *tweet* Offensive foul!

edit: i supposed i could have bolded almost the entire message and said that
        And every time you run someone over with an offensive foul you have a player thinking twice next time. That leads to either a moment of indecision which may mean they get into position a split second too late, or perhaps they avoid the contact altogether which leaves an open lane. Aside from that, offensive fouls mean contact and that contact can result in defensive fouls. (ie. 50/50 calls going to offensive player)

Tough aggressive players get offensive fouls. It comes with the territory. Would love to see Demar getting a couple a game because he's being aggresive.

Comment

Im not sure why people get all upset about rebounds people SHOULD be grabbing. Lets keep in mind there are a finite number of rebounds per game, and if someone like Fields is grabbing 11 and ross 9 not to mention our bigs are decent rebounders, there are only so many left.

SOOO much of it has to do with positioning and strategy. Demar's role for that particular game could have been to trap the long rebound, which there arent gonna be many of when your opponent shoots everything from 4 ft and hits threes. Or to be prepared to get out and run if CASEY wants to.

IMO as long as we are grabbing more than our opponent as a TEAM, individual rebounds are somewhat irrelevant.

Comment

Derozan can start we just use him too much. He is not harden or wade no matter how much he rebounds. If he could just be used as a slasher who we don't depend on to score then it would be perfect. He does not play well against any team who game plans for him or has a guy who can guard him straight up.

Comment

he is rodney stuckey. I hate rodney stuckey as a player.

Comment

Other than C's and PF's, rebounds are a very non-valuable stat towards a player IMO. Don't know why you're getting so hyped up over this.
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Depends on how we define "starting quality SG". I don't see him being skilled enough to start on a contending team.

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                    Is anyone else having doubts on the "progress" of Derozan.
                    I really think he is going to be causing another Bragnani situation for us and needs to be out of here while he is at his peak right now for good returns.

agree? or make me a believer!!
                    I am a big critic of DeMar and I recognize all of his limitations, but comparing him with Bargnani is cold. He had a bad game. He has improved a tonne from last season. He is never going to be a #1 or #2 guy though.

If you look across the league there are not many very elite SG's. Wade/Kobe/Ginobili are all old and will leave the game soon. JJ/Iggy/JR Smith are now vets and wouldn't really be considered elite anyway. Outside of Harden and Gordon (who is always injured) I can't really see a young SG that will be a game changer. I'd put DeMar in the same class as Mayo, Afflalo, Matthews and Turner. And you could convince yourself quite easily that DeMar is just as good as they are (well maybe not Mayo who I like).

The problem with DeMar is that he will have a hard time living up to his contract (just like Jose was/is or Bargnani was/is). However that is because he works for a GM that is very generous. And if you take the contract completely out of the equation then DeMar is fine. I would have no issue packaging him up in a trade to get an upgrade, but he's also not someone that I would give away because he's costing the team wins.

Comment

He looked like a rookie last night. It was depressing. And if I'm the coaching staff I say "DeMar, next you take a step-back jumper with a foot on the three point line, you're sitting for the rest of the half, you been told repeatedly that this is the worst shot in basketball."
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Totally agree. I said it before and I will say it now. If Raptors is about to become a serious team ever, it will happen without Bargs and DD. Actually, only JV is a sure case key player to start building around while I'm not yet sure about Ross, but he might be as well.

And Calderon could be a good peace if he would be 7 years younger and would have a good coach who would simply say - you are here to create and pass fella, not to shoot. Actually the last thing I wrote is the key to answer the question why all Raptors organization is so lost. They simply don't understand the culture of basketball, they still walking in the outside. If they will ever realise they only have to add one or two peaces next to JV and raptors will have a strong playoffs team, but currently Raptors organization is blind.
                        Last edited by BalticGiants; Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                          And every time you run someone over with an offensive foul you have a player thinking twice next time. That leads to either a moment of indecision which may mean they get into position a split second too late, or perhaps they avoid the contact altogether which leaves an open lane. Aside from that, offensive fouls mean contact and that contact can result in defensive fouls. (ie. 50/50 calls going to offensive player)

Tough aggressive players get offensive fouls. It comes with the territory. Would love to see Demar getting a couple a game because he's being aggresive.
                          yes a knee to the mid-section is contact.. but it will never be a defensive foul.. and sorry im not big on turnovers so id have to disagree.. u can be aggressive offensively and be smart at the same time.. take what they give u.. yeah embrace contact when ur going hard to the rim but dont run people over if they are in position and u could just as easily pull up or pass.. aggressively charging the rim with ur head down and heaving the ball at the backboard is not a good play
                          Last edited by Machine; Wed Jan 16, 2013, 11:23 AM.

Comment

my problem with demar is he wants to be an elite player yet he plays soft and in slow motion half the time. he complains that he isnt getting calls yet he goes in there so god damn slow and puts up a silly little layup. how can he expect a call when he blew 2 layups last night with nobody around him. he needs to be aggressive and go in hard everytime and look to dunk on people. when amir went up last night for that big dunk over telotovic even though he didnt finish he went in hard and will get rewarded every time. in that same situation demar would have went into him slowly then put up a soft layup hoping for contact. man up and use your abilities to your strength not the refs.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Depends on how we define "starting quality SG". I don't see him being skilled enough to start on a contending team.
                              It's true. I think some of the fans use stats like rebounds to make him seem better than he is.

For example derozan similar numbers to joe Johnson...but the main difference (scoring wen it counts) is the reason why no one would pick dd over him for any team

Comment

d749 wrote: View Post
                                my problem with demar is he wants to be an elite player yet he plays soft and in slow motion half the time. he complains that he isnt getting calls yet he goes in there so god damn slow and puts up a silly little layup. how can he expect a call when he blew 2 layups last night with nobody around him. he needs to be aggressive and go in hard everytime and look to dunk on people. when amir went up last night for that big dunk over telotovic even though he didnt finish he went in hard and will get rewarded every time. in that same situation demar would have went into him slowly then put up a soft layup hoping for contact. man up and use your abilities to your strength not the refs.
                                +1. For some reason he's developed a phobia on getting blocked.

Comment

Working...
                                X