The Only Deal that Makes Sense at this Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Only Deal that Makes Sense at this Point

At this point, it looks like the Gay deal is dead, Gasol is a total dud this year, and Cousins is staying put. I think one of the few plausible, realistic deal possibilities remaining for the Raps is the one below:

To Indiana: Bargnani and Calderon
    To Toronto: Granger, Hansbrough, and Hansbrough

Why it works for Toronto: we get a potential stud SF, and he's only on contract through next season, at which point he'll be 31, T Ross should be ready, and Lowry will have to get re-upped. T Hansbrough brings a gritty presence off the bench at the PF spot.

Why it works for Indiana: they get help at the PG spot which they're looking for. They get an offensive big which they need. They are also very strong defensively already so they can hide Calderon and Bargnani's defensive deficiencies well. Indy needs more offense badly and both Jose and Bargs give them that in spades. Finally, they've got Jose's expiring contract which gives them flexibility moving forward.

I really think this trade helps both teams and I love it for the Raps.

I don't mind that but i also would do:

DeRozan and Calderon to Indy for Granger
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

wow didnt realize granger was 29.. thought he was a few years younger.. i was never excited about him and now i am even less impressed

Comment

Granger and a 2014 draft pick would be prime. Even if we don't keep 'Granny Danger' long term he would still be a nice trade chip next year as an expiring contract.

The real benefits would be the 2014 pick and getting Bargs off the books

Comment

connected wrote: View Post
          Granger and a 2014 draft pick would be prime. Even if we don't keep 'Granny Danger' long term he would still be a nice trade chip next year as an expiring contract.

that i could go for

Comment

Damn! Granger is 30 already?? I could've swore he got drafted in like 2005...

Comment

connected wrote: View Post

Need more salary beyond just Granger to make it work. And I'm not sure Indiana throws in Hansbrough and a draft pick to boot.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                Damn! Granger is 31 already?? I could've swore he got drafted in like 2005...
                I should clarify, he's 29, but will be 30/31 when his contract is up.

Comment

How long until people realize chandler is back and playing great again and start trades involving him?

Comment

optifan wrote: View Post
                    I should clarify, he's 29, but will be 30/31 when his contract is up.
                    My bad, read that wrong. But wow... time sure does fly...

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                      How long until people realize chandler is back and playing great again and start trades involving him?
                      Good point. I think he's another realistic target for us. Denver's got too many talented wings to not look at trading one for something of need.

Comment

I would love for them to take a chance on Chandler too.

I'm not sure if salary works but something like Bargnani and ___ for Chandler and Koufos/Mozgov
                        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          I don't mind that but i also would do:

DeRozan and Calderon to Indy for Granger
                          youre really willing to make this trade? grangers legs might not even survive the next two years
                          "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

His age might be a deterrent, and also the fact that we havent heard even a pinch of rumor that BC is interested in acquiring him probably means that the Raps have never ever considered him as a prized acquisition.

W. Chandler would be someone to look at, but im also wary that he might just be another Kleiza.

Comment

Here's a deal I'd do in a second, even more so if a 2014 pick comes back our way:
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=a9wbj2w

(And yes, I realise this is really two separate deals, but it makes it easier to look at in one trade machine screen)

DEAL 1
                              TOR: Granger, T. Hansbrough
                              IND: Calderon, Derozan

WHY? For Indy, they just traded 16 minutes worth of production for Jose and Demar (given that Granger hasn't played yet). They get Demar as a hopefully poor man's Granger (in his prime, I mean, which he's at the tail-end of now), for slightly less money. They get massively better right now (before you factor in Granger coming back.

For Toronto, we cash in on Jose for an elite, proven wing, and we get out from under the gamble that is Demar's contract (which is a Bargnani type of contract situation, and at the VERY best just barely worth his contract). If Granger stays relatively healthy, you extend him to a reasonable contract after year 2.

DEAL 2
                              TOR: W. Chandler, A. Miller
                              DEN: Bargnani

WHY? Denver might actually be a team that Bargs could justifiably start for (his epically poor play to start this year non withstanding, but I don't think he's as bad as he's looked this year). Starting him at PF let's them move Faried to the starting 3 spot, where he wouldn't give up any size. They'd get their rebounding more from the 3 than the 4, and their three-point shooting more from the 4 than the 3, but Bargs and Faried could mesh well that well.

For Toronto, we get a second proven wing to start alongside Granger (and a younger one at that) in Chandler, which would give us two solid wing defenders with great size. We also get a VERY capable replacement for Jose, which puts Lowry back in the starting lineup, with two solid shooters to complement him (in Granger and Chandler).

DEPTH
                              PG: Lowry, Miller, Lucas
                              SG: Chandler, Ross, Anderson
                              SF: Granger, Fields, Anderson
                              PF: Davis, Hansbrough, Acy
                              C: Johnson, Valanciunas, Gray

With these deals, we remain really good at the PG, become really, really solid on the wings, and solid (though lacking some bulk) upfront.

And I realise a lot of fans here are critical of "giving up" on Jose or young talents like Demar, but I'd rather have proven talent than gamble on potential that might never materialize (as in Bargnani's case).

Thoughts?

EDIT: Forgot to add that this also lets us still use our amnesty on Kleiza, while getting something of (tremendous) value for Bargnani.

EDIT 2: Deal 1 looks very realistic to me, but deal two would require at least a draft pick being sent to Denver, I believe. But I would not be willing to include any of our bigs not named Acy, or T.Ross, in that deal.
                              Last edited by LC009; Wed Jan 16, 2013, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X